What do we know about the new NVidia Ampere?

I tried to google, is there any clue on what a PS5 video card equivalent is? I’m still on a 1070ti and I don’t find any problems. I assume new games will be PS5-level.

Around a 2080.

I’d read that only on Teraflops, PS5 was around 10.3 or something, XSX almost 13, and I think 2080 Super comes in around 11.3. So the 2080 Super should be in between the two coming consoles GPU in terms of teraflops. But of course, there are other factors.

But a 2080 is… $500 or so right now? So it’s cheaper to buy an entire PS5 than a new video card? Wows

The 2080 is also two-year old tech.

Well, nobody knows what a PS5 will cost yet. And the GPU prices will continue coming down – nobody’s going to spend $500 on a 2080 once the 3070 and AMD’s competitor are actually on the shelf for that price with better performance.

But yes, typically when new consoles are released they represent a great value in terms of performance for the cost.

By the time the PS5 comes out it will be competing against the $499 RTX3070, which is around 25% faster than a RTX2080 non-Super (ie, a PS5/XSX) in rasterization and much faster in ray-tracing.

Obviously the PS5/XSX will be cheaper than building an entire computer with a 3070, regardless.

Reading stuff like this makes me wonder just how few cards they made?

sources indicated that the first wave of cards could be “the smallest launch in many years.”

I predict there will be dozens of new cards on the market. :)

Console manufacturers also famously take a loss on their consoles so that they can grow marketshare and make up the lost revenue in software sales. This is just off the top of my head, but I believe consoles usually lose money in the first two or three years, and only start making it back after that (coincidentally when new technology makes the consoles cheaper to manufacture).

Supplies must really be limited.

Reddit person took time to gather info on length and thickness of the RTX3080’s.

Google doc from ResetERA:

What’s the color key on that spreadsheet? Blue means you’re okay, pink means you’re not? Then what’s orange?

If it fits in a H1 NZXT case. Which doesn’t matter to most of us, but at least we know the card sizes.

I just have to hope the 3090 lasts a few minutes on the site due to the ridiculous price.

If MSFS supported NVLink, it’d be cheaper to get a pair of 3080s…

Seems like support for dual/triple cards has wained a bit over the last couple of years?

Very much so. And the MS Flight Sim series has never supported NVLink/SLI.

All the way back to when I was running dual 3DFx cards, though, I’ve always found SLI more hassle than it’s worth.

At one point I had dual GTX 660Ti cards in a machine and that was faster than a GTX 680 – but only on games that supported it.

Very much this. It was cool nerd factor but in actual operation, eh.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-hands-on-with-nvidia-rtx-3080

You can get in-stock notifications for the 3080 and 3090 series at Best Buy now as well, FYI.

Thanks, signed up for a 3080 notification. Not sure if I am gonna try for one at launch or not.