What do you feed your pets?

Souls. My neighbour’s Siamese cats feed on souls. They are forever watching, forever waiting, forever yearning for your fruitcake-rich human essence. I am unnerved by their presence.

But they also eat cooked chicken when we go round to feed them. At arms length.

The bees get sugar syrup from time to time, but I try to leave them to their own devices.

During the spring/summer they get a 1:1 Sugar water syrup. I’m just starting to top up the colony that are a bit light on honey for winter with a 2:1 sugar water syrup.

Science Diet dry food for them (with one getting the Z/D due to bowel sensitivity). Fancy Feast for them all as well, which I would love to break them over, but they are hopelessly addicted to the stuff. I’ve tried moving them to better wet foods, but they just turn up their noses. Which of course tells me that the Fancy Feast people are putting shit in there just to get them addicted.

I feed my cat Royal Cannin, but she doesn’t have any stomach problems. I’m just a sucker.

other pets.

I feed cats to ATM machines, because they ask me to.

My sister, who is a vegetarian, feeds her cats a raw diet. I don’t, but our cats get a steady diet of premium wet foods (Innova Evo, the By Nature 95% meat line, Instinct, etc. – basically anything that’s acceptable according to the criteria laid out in this book). It can be expensive, but my wife and I feel it’s worth it.

We used to feed our cats Iams, until our vet told us that they aren’t fans of Iams for some reason or another (it may have been ash content, but I don’t really remember at this point). Then we switched to Purina One (chicken flavor), which they like quite a bit. They also get canned Friskies wet food, which they love. And Ozymandias gets cold cuts from the deli twice a day (usually roast beef or prosciutto), since we have to give him thyroid medication, and it goes SO much easier when the pills are wrapped up in fresh meat.

One other interesting note: a friend of ours was arguing that we needed to switch away from Science Diet because the protein level in it was too low, and pointed us to a couple of “fru-fru” brands that had about double the protein.

We tried two of them, and the cats wouldn’t touch either one. We ended up having to give the bags to the local rescue society we do volunteer work for, cause they were completely ignoring the food and just yelling louder.

I feed my cat Hills Prescription M/D because he’s a fatty but I’m too lazy to put him on a diet. I also like the fact that when there was the whole “China poisoining our pets with melamine” recall, my vet called me.

Purina One and human food. My dog loves an occasional tidbit of cheese and scraps but seriously, any time I’m putting cheese on ANYTHING, he is there giving me the “I would like to partake of that sir” eyes.

I’ve been through much higher priced dry foods, wet foods, the “bone meal” stuff, and even attempted raw for a brief time. Every attempt at doing something different resulted in very messed up pooch bowel’s and an occasional room clearing bout of gas or accident I had to clean up. After talking to his breeder … I went back to Purina One and have had no problems at all.

turtle kibbles

and occasionally a live sand crab

Were you doing a gradual transition or just doing a cold turkey switcheroo?

Okay, am I the only one who read that as Large-Animal Vegetarian?

As for the dog, he gets Science Diet Small Bites. And cheese/deli meats, if he can con it out of us. And whatever garbage he can get from the ground outside before I manage to get him away from it. That’s a fun game.

Also, he likes us to stand there and watch him eat, and if we aren’t there he’ll come get us. Maybe he needs a lookout? Or maybe he’s just proud. Lord knows I like having someone watching when I eat a particularly delicious steak.

No, we did the whole 1/4x3/4, then 1/2x1/2 thing, etc, trying to ease them in. They just ate around the new stuff and then whined about being hungry while the new food sat in the bowl getting stale.

My dog does this too. The best I can figure is that it’s a social pack mentality thing for him. If I’m not there he won’t eat out of his bowl … okay he wont eat kibble out of his bowl. If I’m in the room with him he will chow down. He will also watch me while I eat, but maybe it’s not entirely begging, he’s just returning the favor.

I also have the same problem with taking him out which is that he will eat anything. Grass, clods of dirt, flies, snails, pine cones, whatever trash is flying across the yard in the wind, etc. It becomes a bit of a game wondering what the hell he ate outside when I’m not monitoring him. I had to eventually get a tie-down so that I can manage what’s in range of his mouth while he’s outside.

Our kittens get Science Diet right now as that’s what they were eating at the shelter before we got them. The older cats eat whatever we can manage to get them to eat - it seems to change from week to week. Fancy Feast, organic stuff, etc. Picky bitches.

I have no clue what my Girlfriend feeds her cat, but I can tell you this, if we have Salmon for dinner, he stares me down until I give him a bite, then continues staring till we’re done. Apparently cats like salmon…

My super cool cat gets Nutro Max Cat dry food. She’s around thirteen years old and I’ve always fed her this and she’s pretty healthy and active. The only adjustment I’ve made to her diet is to start mixing in some Max Cat Senior into her food. I tried moving to Senior exclusively but she didn’t go for it. A 50/50 mix seems to work pretty well.

Her favorite treat is the water drained off from a can of tuna in water. She won’t eat any bits of tuna that sneak into the bowl, however. She only wants the tuna water.

-xtien

“I was shunned from the age of four until my sixth birthday, for not saving the excess oil from a can of tuna.”

Puppy gets the Innova puppy kibble, the older dog gets the Eagle Pack geriatric low-fat with glucosamine kibble. I’ve tried all sorts of kibble with all sorts of dogs and cats and really there is a difference between supermarket brands and premium brands, at least in my opinion.