What do you remember that shows your age?

More like mid-60’s as I recall

Yeah, I remember those. They disappeared probably before I was 10.

I had both. Stack the 45s on the portable record player and party!

I remember them at 12 cents.

How about baseball cards for a dime, stick of stale gum included!

That I remember (Rural NC).

One of my earliest memories is my mother crying one afternoon after a phone call, then putting on our little black-and-white TV. I was four. The President had just been assassinated.

Wait, what? Where were you in NC, man?

70s, 80s. I spent 1/3 my childhood and teen years in Clay County, NC and the rest in Miami, FL. Reason #138 I am so bizarre.

I’m old enough to remember party lines.

NC native … I had to look it up. To be fair, we have too many counties. Though I’ve heard of Hayesville, it is so close to Georgia and so far down the neck of NC I’ve just not been there. I looks gorgeous though. I’m a WCU grad, though, I’ve camped everywhere around near there, apparently. Probably the closest point would be in Andrews.

I’ve been to Hiawassee (GA side), Andrews, Murphy. Bryson City, The Nantahala National Forest, etc. all like a billion times.

My old man bought land in 76 and thought he’d get rich building vacay homes. He built 5 in 30 years. He didn’t get rich. I, however, was given the riches of a childhood of 3-4 months a year in that gorgeous country. And exposure to non-urban and non-suburban culture, landscapes, people, problems, thoughts, pleasures, inconveniences and etc. that have deepened my existence to this day.

Not as old as some of the other memories here about phones but I remember when you didn’t have to dial an area code… Our state only had one and I don’t remember when Portland got theirs.

Oh and dialing 1 or even the concept of long distance calls my nephews don’t even understand.

I remember too that there was a middle ground period where you could dial 1-XXX-XXXX and have it be LD too, in the days before area Codes were mandatory. In my case, it was like on the other end of the Area Code geographically.

You’re my age. I don’t remember the assassination but I remember watching the funeral procession, including JJ saluting his dad, because I was unhappy because my cartoons weren’t on. My grandparents were staying with me because my dad and mom were actually in Washington DC – my dad was a lawyer and had business there. My grandpa made me watch the procession. Told me it was important.

I was three, and don’t have any memory of it.

But this brought back something I clearly remember from much later, when I was 14:
I was staying at my grandparents’ house, about 200 miles from home, when my grandfather made me watch Nixon’s address as he announced his resignation on August 8, 1974. Grandpa’s words were very similar: “You’re going to watch this with us. It’s very important.”

I’ll see your assassination and raise you one Cuban missile crisis. I remember my grandparents stocking up on canned goods and the whole family watching Kennedy on TV that night.

I also remember watching live coverage of the Eichmann trial, but being too young to understand what was going on.

Wow.

And glad to see I’m not the only old-timer around here!

Regarding the JFK assassination, I have no memory of watching the funeral or anything. Just of the day he died, and my mother crying so much it scared me.

I remember walking to school the day after Kennedy’s speech wondering if the bombs were going to go off before I got there.

My earliest memory of a major event was watching the nighttime footage of Operation Desert Storm. For some reason video of tracer rounds in the night stuck.

Listening to the OJ verdict in my grade school cafeteria.

The other was watching Cal Ripken’s streak end years later.

Long distance calls used to be really low quality and satellite when I was young. It was a big deal, everyone would all run to the phone when there was a LD call from say, the States. Calling China, on the other hand was an even bigger deal because probably one person in the village would have a phone so they’d run to find whoever was being located.

I assume the quality was low because we used satellites (echo, latency?). I then assume we now use undersea fiberoptics. I vaguely recall Sprint ads with the pin needle lauding the audio quality. I wonder if the satellite thing was just because it was overseas.

All throughout grade school in the '60’s I remember hearing jets overhead and looking up, wondering if I’d see Soviet warplanes. I had a grade school teacher tell us nuclear war was inevitable.

You guys have me beat for “old” but you did remind me of the time my mom picked me up from school, think it was 2nd grade? Anyway, she told me President Reagan has been shot.