What do you remember that shows your age?

I have memories of the 1960 election, but just smidgens that may not be correct. I remember bits of the 1964 election. I actually remember baseball WS from the period though.

But I remember 1968, or at least huge parts of it, like it happened yesterday. I think 1968 greatly effected how I view politics today and the “civil war” talk people have.

I may start a separate thread for this, but I remember they heyday of children’s programming having adult hosts. Usually in the guise of authority figures like police or firemen, if you saw these guys lurking around a schoolyard today you’d probably call the real police.

“Officer” Joe Bolton hosted half an hour every day of Three Stooges shorts. He got the job because he was Moe’s son in law.

“Captain” Jack McCarthy hosted Popeye and other Fleischer Bros. cartoons.

“Ringmaster” Claude Kirshner caused a fear of clowns in more kids in the Tr_-state area than Clarabelle.
image _

Hey, kids, what time is it? Second creepiest character with the title “Buffalo”

And my own personal favorite. Seriously, would you let this guy babysit your children?

Oh man, I remember my street would clear out of kids by 2:45 p.m. on Saturdays. At 5:05 p.m., after channel 5’s martial arts feature was over, you’d see all the kids out kung fu fighting! This was in the early 80s.

Channel 9 had Doctor Who on Saturday evenings and a horror film after. Fun times!

Something that was distinctly 80s, if not mistaken: commercials for computers.

But the earliest TV memories I have are of watching Battlestar Galactica when it debuted in 1978 (I was blown away) and the Iran hostage crisis in '79 being on all the time.

Miami, FL had,Popeye Playhouse with Skipper Chuck.

Anyone else remember Soupy Sales telling kids to tiptoe into their parents’ bedrooms and remove those “funny green pieces of paper with pictures of U.S. Presidents” from their pants and pocketbooks and “Put them in an envelope and mail them to me?”

Of course. But the infamous joke about pies never happened, I guess.

My mother, brother and I used to visit her sister during the summer. One visit we arrived late and pretty much went straight to bed. My mother and brother slept in the single bed and I slept on the floor near a window. This was late 60s.

I awoke in the middle of the night feeling like I was being eaten alive by tiny bugs. My arms, chest and face were bright red. I was put in a cool bath. Slowly I felt better. Turns out that the curtains on the window I was sleeping next to were fiberglass. That modern miracle household fabric. I was rubbing up against it with no shirt on. All night.

JFK assassination. It was some poor kid’s birthday party - actually it was the day of the funeral - and they had the (b&w) TV on. Adults were seriously depressed and whoever that kid was is no doubt traumatized to this day.

As a kid I remember watching Bozo the Clown on WGN before school in the mornings. I don’t think we had anything local like that in my podunk part of the world.

Here in Chicago area, Bozo was a staple but I watched more of Ray Raynor, Garfield the Goose and Mister Green Jeans.

Bozo’s (Bob Bell’s) son ran into my girlfriend’s car at a later date. He got the ticket and we were able to hide the consumables in the woods when Officer Friendly stopped by.

All the way until my childhood. I remember going to one of the tapings in one of the last seasons. Would have had to been around 95 or so, as I think Cookie the Clown was no more.

Cookie the Clown, of course. I can see him in my mind’s eye but I totally blanked on the name.

I remember when local TV stations, including mine in Cleveland, blacked out scenes from the Outer Limits episode, “Architects of Fear,” because this monster was deemed too scary for prime time:

I wore Chucks to actually play basketball competitively for school, not to wear as some fashion statement. God I hate those sneakers.

This might be a thing in cities that have quality and large transportation systems, but one thing I noticed while traveling is how etiquette seems to have changed. When I was a kid, long time ago, and we used public transportation in WA and any time we traveled, my parents always stood up for older people, made us kids stand up too, and of course we complained.

Now, i see people cross-legged, taking up two seats, they’ve got the kids, small kids all on the seats while the guy with a cane is standing, it’s a struggle to get people to move over or to the back for more people to get on. It’s like reversed. The oldest people are just kind of ignored.

When I was ten, for sure, get up for that older man or woman, my complaining would just lead to some unpleasant punishment back at home.

I don’t do public transportation enough to know about that. It was a thing though. But for all my gripes about the younger generation I haven’t found them to be rude or socially incompetent, just totally self absorbed in either music or their phone.

Yeah, people don’t give up seats. I think it may simply be that people are often on the subway for only a few minutes.

When I was riding the subway in Paris no one gave up seats, but it’s efficient transportation so you aren’t on there that long most of the time. If you do have a long ride a seat will free up after a stop or two.

College and law school: I remember paying someone to type up long papers and articles.

Do you mean you had written them by hand and just needed someone to type them or…?