What do you remember that shows your age?

Here in Chicago area, Bozo was a staple but I watched more of Ray Raynor, Garfield the Goose and Mister Green Jeans.

Bozo’s (Bob Bell’s) son ran into my girlfriend’s car at a later date. He got the ticket and we were able to hide the consumables in the woods when Officer Friendly stopped by.

All the way until my childhood. I remember going to one of the tapings in one of the last seasons. Would have had to been around 95 or so, as I think Cookie the Clown was no more.

Cookie the Clown, of course. I can see him in my mind’s eye but I totally blanked on the name.

I remember when local TV stations, including mine in Cleveland, blacked out scenes from the Outer Limits episode, “Architects of Fear,” because this monster was deemed too scary for prime time:

I wore Chucks to actually play basketball competitively for school, not to wear as some fashion statement. God I hate those sneakers.

This might be a thing in cities that have quality and large transportation systems, but one thing I noticed while traveling is how etiquette seems to have changed. When I was a kid, long time ago, and we used public transportation in WA and any time we traveled, my parents always stood up for older people, made us kids stand up too, and of course we complained.

Now, i see people cross-legged, taking up two seats, they’ve got the kids, small kids all on the seats while the guy with a cane is standing, it’s a struggle to get people to move over or to the back for more people to get on. It’s like reversed. The oldest people are just kind of ignored.

When I was ten, for sure, get up for that older man or woman, my complaining would just lead to some unpleasant punishment back at home.

I don’t do public transportation enough to know about that. It was a thing though. But for all my gripes about the younger generation I haven’t found them to be rude or socially incompetent, just totally self absorbed in either music or their phone.

Yeah, people don’t give up seats. I think it may simply be that people are often on the subway for only a few minutes.

When I was riding the subway in Paris no one gave up seats, but it’s efficient transportation so you aren’t on there that long most of the time. If you do have a long ride a seat will free up after a stop or two.

College and law school: I remember paying someone to type up long papers and articles.

Do you mean you had written them by hand and just needed someone to type them or…?

Yep. University department secretaries always had a side-gig typing dissertations for the grad students.

White-out was a no-no for dissertations, so edits always meant more typing - sometimes several pages worth if the length of one paragraph changed.

Below are obviously word processor-era dissertations from a random internet photo, but they were just as long in the 60s and 70s:

I’m old enough to have used a type writer, and white-out and white-out ribbons and that really cool screen where you could go back and erase stuff because it remember a few lines or something… not in college though. I also remember when teachers refused to take written work anymore in K-12.

My last actual typewriter before I got a Commodore 64.

Yes, hand-written, usually on legal pads. I had a typewriter, but a poor student like me couldn’t afford the newfangled IBM Correcting Selectric, and, as noted above, white out wasn’t an option for formal stuff. My typewriter was the Hermes 3000:

Yeah, I had a typewriter too. I never went to grad school so whiteout was ok. Word processors were one of the wonders of the world when I first got to use them.

Being in the industry at the time (and by the “industry” I mean the business) I attended the press unveiling of the Lisa. I remember thinking what a stupid concept a mouse was and how nobody would ever use one.

“There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.”
–Digital Equipment Corp. founder Ken Olsen

We had to dress up to go to church…suit and tie and uncomfortable dress shoes, which was pure hell for a pre-teen. Especially in Georgia in the summer. That set the stage for many of my feelings of church today.

Hell, we had to dress up to fly on an airplane.

I still feel compelled to at least wear long slacks and a clean dress shirt on both occasions, and usually a suit jacket to church unless it’s too hot. To me it’s about respecting the event (church - the few times I go) and respecting the person that is crunched into the seat next to you (plane). And in the latter, my anecdotal experience is that if there’s an issue with tickets or wanting to upgrade seats or getting another soda, I win over the guy wearing denim shorts and a ratty Metallica t-shirt.

Dressing up to go to church is one thing. I remember dressing up to go to baseball games.