What do you remember that shows your age?

Yep. University department secretaries always had a side-gig typing dissertations for the grad students.

White-out was a no-no for dissertations, so edits always meant more typing - sometimes several pages worth if the length of one paragraph changed.

Below are obviously word processor-era dissertations from a random internet photo, but they were just as long in the 60s and 70s:

I’m old enough to have used a type writer, and white-out and white-out ribbons and that really cool screen where you could go back and erase stuff because it remember a few lines or something… not in college though. I also remember when teachers refused to take written work anymore in K-12.

My last actual typewriter before I got a Commodore 64.

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Typestar-6-Portable-Typewriter/dp/B007HDKPIA

Yes, hand-written, usually on legal pads. I had a typewriter, but a poor student like me couldn’t afford the newfangled IBM Correcting Selectric, and, as noted above, white out wasn’t an option for formal stuff. My typewriter was the Hermes 3000:

Yeah, I had a typewriter too. I never went to grad school so whiteout was ok. Word processors were one of the wonders of the world when I first got to use them.

Being in the industry at the time (and by the “industry” I mean the business) I attended the press unveiling of the Lisa. I remember thinking what a stupid concept a mouse was and how nobody would ever use one.

“There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home.”
–Digital Equipment Corp. founder Ken Olsen

We had to dress up to go to church…suit and tie and uncomfortable dress shoes, which was pure hell for a pre-teen. Especially in Georgia in the summer. That set the stage for many of my feelings of church today.

Hell, we had to dress up to fly on an airplane.

I still feel compelled to at least wear long slacks and a clean dress shirt on both occasions, and usually a suit jacket to church unless it’s too hot. To me it’s about respecting the event (church - the few times I go) and respecting the person that is crunched into the seat next to you (plane). And in the latter, my anecdotal experience is that if there’s an issue with tickets or wanting to upgrade seats or getting another soda, I win over the guy wearing denim shorts and a ratty Metallica t-shirt.

Dressing up to go to church is one thing. I remember dressing up to go to baseball games.

My first memory is of the Moon landing. I wasn’t even 2 yet, but I remember it because everyone was so interested in it (and our next door neighbor worked for NASA, and was in the astronaut program until they discovered he had a heart issue and he was grounded).

I also remember the Original Pop Rocks, and all the myths that came after:

Also, when this was a thing:

I remember when the city of the future would be covered by a dome.

That was the plan, but the flying cars kept crashing into it.

I used to go to school days and work nights. When I had papers do I would stop by my parents office (they ran a company) and use my mothers typewriter. So I would be there from midnight to whenever I finished.

They show what appears to be an electric train way down below, at the same time they’ve got diesel semi’s in the next tunnel up. I tell, you, I’d hate to be in that tunnel if the air purifier ever broke down. I’m amazed that made it into the concept. I mean, electric trains were already a thing. Could nobody imagine electric transportation of goods?

Or was this something that was supposed to go into effect quickly?

I remember when science fiction was full of hope and optimism instead of all the dystopian stuff we get now. I think that dates me too.

Like 1951? 1968? Or 1975? :)

I remember when we had two English TV channels and one French, which you had to get up and turn the channel knob, which was broken so you used pliers, for many years.

The movie “Stand by me” – damn my eyes.

And Mark – science fiction? Chuck Heston was screaming at the statue of liberty and I think that was dystopian.