What do you remember that shows your age?

And only five years later he was screaming that Soylent Green was people.

Bah. I counter your Chuck Heston with Santa Claus Conquering the Martians. Now that’s optimism!

My Favorite Martian for $100, Alex.

Any optimistic feeling is negated by the indroduction of Pia Zadora.

People dressing up when they would fly. It was a big event.

I still believe in dressing a little nicer for dinner on a cruise ship. Hell, if there’s a formal night I’ll even rent a tux.

But I’m old.

Oh sure. Shirt and tie at the very least. And a full suit for the fine dining restaurant. Just that once.

This is one of those west coast = best coast things because I will dress up for exactly jack and shit, and jack just left town.

It’s a Northeast thing than. Cause In Florida? Yeah, we don’t do that.

Rich don’t count because he is really a New Yorker.

Ha, yeah. The north easterners I’ve talked too are all ‘adult men can’t wear shorts!’

Midwesterners and west coasters are all ‘hell yeah, shorts!’

A bit stuffy up there, if you ask me.

So you dress up… for shit?

Eeeew…by your logic then, what does that make the “jack” that he dresses up for?

[quote=“geewhiz, post:400, topic:136148, full:true”]

Yes, and now I’m glad it’s November in Wisconsin, so when I get on a plane dressed for a business trip, I won’t have a guy in shorts and flip-flops sitting next to me.

Oh, so that was you Jason?

If I’m going to be loaded like sardines, may as well be the least uncomfortable I can.

Cruise ships usually have one formal night because the captain and officers participate, and many of the guests enjoy it. If you don’t want to participate, cool. But it’s not that hard to wear long pants and a collared shirt otherwise. It’s long past the time when a jacket and tie was required, unless maybe you’re on the QEII. No idea how the Brits run things on that ship.

I think the women drive a lot of this. It’s the women who often like to wear the little black dress and enjoy seeing the men in slightly more formal attire. Not all women, but quite a few of them, from my experience. Men might groan about it but the women say, c’mon, it’s only one night.

I actually enjoy not dressing like a slob one night every few years.

So, those were your dirty feet? Thanks for a great three hours.

Formal night(s) on cruises generally mean slacks, long sleeve shirt, and a sport coat. No ties, as they are the work of the devil. Certainly, that changes if we plan to go to the separate formal dining restaurant (if there is one). But for just the main dining room(s), never a tie. I’ll wear everything else - just not the tie.