What do you remember that shows your age?

The morning sun when it’s in my face.

No, different than that.

Not sure what that is. She called them “pallillies” (although I am sure they are spelled differently).

One of my favorites as a kid, too. Not sure where I can actually get them now except maybe at the state fair.

This appears to be the thing.

Sopaipillas - Mexican Fried Dough Recipe

](https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiw4PTerZTgAhVojVQKHWYdAicQFjAAegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thespruceeats.com%2Fsopaipillas-recipe-2343010&usg=AOvVaw3EkyY9mUlFSD_3VR6a47HB)

Hers didn’t look so much like ravioli’s though and she used powdered sugar. She was half Mexican, spoke decent Spanish.

Aren’t elephant ears just palmiers? They’re pretty easy to find at French style bakeries.

At fairs are the only place I know where to get them.

I think they’re quite different from that actually.

If we have a fancy bakery around here, I don’t know where. We have one bagel place I know of, one. I remember when a former co-worker asked me about that, and I was like yeah one, and two of our larger donut places died too.

Repeating items that i probably already mentioned up above shows my age!

Jiffy popcorn was a thing with the foil pan that would expand - it was just such fun when you were a little kid.

The Ice Cream Truck like Good Humor ringing the bell and everyone including your grandparents would run around trying to find change and giving their order for their most favorite item.

I remember the trucks that were actual rides (like the giant rocker) that would come down the block in Brooklyn. Anyone remember those?

I remember when I learned that the Milkman could deliver chocolate milk - that was a major revelation. And wondering why we never ordered it? Chocolate Milk delivered?

Bosco Chocolate Syrup I guess that was in the Northeast - not sure if it is around anymore.

You need to come to Canada. Beaver tails can be found in many places. They are flat fried dough with a sweet topping.

This stuff still exists, though I don’t think many use Jiffy Pop in the age of microwave popcorn.

So I thought of something else. The mosquito spray trucks that would roll down the street and expel poison clouds behind them. We would dance into the streets to smell the spray. We were stupid.

Bungalow Bars, too.

Sounds like we grew up around the same time and place. Where in Brooklyn?

Oh yeah. When you are little you ride on the bottom. As you get older you work your way up. Finally you get to ride on the top row. The first time is scary, especially when the operator makes it ‘bump’ by swinging it hard and having it bottom out. Originally it was The Half Moon. Later The Frankenstein.

Rod Steward singing about some woman and her lines on her face

I thought it was the lines on Triggercut’s face. :)

Flatbush; Lived on Ocean Ave between Ave N & O. About two blocks away from Kings Highway.

We also had Gypsy Moths helicopters and trucks spraying everything and everyone back when they were killing all the trees.

Kensington. East 3rd Street between Ave C and Cortelyou.

Played Little League Baseball - I think it was Prospect Park or maybe it was Marine Park.

That reminds me:

Stick Ball!

Chinese Handball:
If I remember correctly you played along a wall with the sidewalk boxes. The winning player was at the first spot and you were called the Ace. I think it was called Chinese Handball because we often played by the Chinese Laundry store with a good wall with no windows.

Stoop Ball:
We played this all the time when we were kids. Maybe this was mentioned up above somewhere.

I was going to mention stoop ball. How about skully (sp?). The game where you skimmed bottle caps into boxes in numerical order.

I grew up on 51st & Winthrop and after graduating WIngate HS we moved to Gerritson & V, right next to the Flame.

And Brennan & Carr (Nostrand and U) had the best roast beef sandwiches in creation. I think it’s still there.

How about flipping baseball cards? We also played Kick the Can and Prisoner with flashlights at night.

One of the biggest things that is different now from when I was a kid is that we played outside, every day, all year. There wasn’t the fear of stranger danger, of being kidnapped, etc. I remember walking five blocks to school alone when I was in first grade. That was normal.

Flipping baseball cards I remember, but not Prisoner.

When I was a kid I had really bad allergies, to the point where I had to get shots every week in the Summer and every other week the rest of the year. My mother tired of having to take me, so when I was 11 or 12 she decided I could take the bus myself to get my shots.

Today someone would call CPS on her.