What do you remember that shows your age?

Digging through some old stuff I came across this Major Award. Hard to believe I’ve kept it for 32 years now.

Holy shit! Would you believe my fucked up hippie parents gave me a pirated copy of that when I was like ten or so and it taught me English?

Ken sent me.

I assume the pirated copy cut out the trivia questions designed as an age check? Al Lowe and I spent a ridiculous amount of time on the phone (long distance no less) trying to come up with questions that 10-year-olds couldn’t guess the answers to.

Lol and you guys underestimated the tenacity of Dutch ten-year olds: I figured them all out some by trial-and-error or by asking adults and looking up shit in the dictionary and encyclopedia. Like I said, LSLITLL was quite the educational experience for me :)

Remove lubber.

Somehow I’m not the least bit surprised. :)

No, it did not. It was not too hard to figure out, the trick is none of the answers had any dirty meanings.

Example, hole in one.

I often travel down memory lane in the local retro stores. I bought this last week…

It’s great. Never owned it back in that era. The Sega CDX I play it on is original, but it’s on my HDTV via a Component cable from HD Retrovision through the RetroTINK-2x that does a 240p to 480p upscale with no lag. I also play using the brand new 8bitdo 2.4ghz Genesis controller. It’s something that shows my age while also using the present day to make it more amazing than it ever was in ‘90.

One of the guys in my college dorm had that game, we played a ton of it. Haven’t thought about that game in ages, I remember it being pretty fun.

It’s excellent for the era. It has some standout music tracks and the weapon system is unique. I love the 16-bit era because there are so many games like it where at first glance you say “It’s a side-scrolling action platform game” and yet there are so many quirks to each of them with well-thought out gameplay. In this case, the way the levels are designed alongside the unique weapons makes it something wholly its own thing.

I didn’t know it was based on an anime until recently. They made changes for the west of course, as most companies often did back then, but it still has a lot of really great weirdness to it. It looks phenomenal on my setup.

as an aside, that generic art style that was used for a lot of early Mega Drive / Genesis were always a huge turnoff for me. Not sure why they insisted on that style for so long.

You mean the westernization they did or the game graphics themselves?

sorry - I meant the box art specifically. I always felt that the Genesis covers (esp early only) felt boring compared to their SNES counterparts.

Those early US ones are a progression from the Master System ones, which were godawful in every way. They have the grid on the bottom there and it extends around to the back. Eventually they figured out that looked kinda tacky.

Box art in the US was uniformly awful until probably the PS2 era if we’re being honest. The Japanese boxes are almost always a massive improvement. SNES really wasn’t much better, and since it was cardboard, so much of it is dead and gone. More symptoms of the corporate culture of that time.

I mean the case example is FF VI. The American art, under the title FF III is just… blah. But the Japanese art is gorgeous.

Seriously America, this is embarrassing

This one’s my favorite:

What about

Image result for secret of the stars

vs

Image result for Aqutallion

I also had a toy and i very much like that toy. I always play with this toy and felt so much fun. It was filled with water, right? And when you push the two round buttons it would jet water out of the bottom to try to shoot the ball into the basket? That’s was an amazing memory of my childhood and i never forget this…

Waldenbooks used to have D&D stuff. Not much, but it was always nice to have something to look at when I was forced to go to the mall.

I guess the people who ran it were into D&D and didn’t believe all that Satanic stuff unlike Barnes and Nobles.

Waldenbooks used to have D&D stuff, computer books, and computer games. I distinctly remember picking up All About the C64 Vol 2 and Ultimate Wizard from the Northshore Waldenbooks in Spokane.

It’s where I got all my original stuff from. It had a fair amount if you didn’t really know about or where the hobby stores were.