What does Project Cars 3 have that other racing games don't?

Yeah this and Bloody Rally Show now have me addicted to daily races, so I’m doing all the Rivals stuff every day too! SO GREAT.

I will definitely try that helmet cam thing on some custom races, thank you for the tips! The cars all feel SO DIFFERENT they really are like different characters. I’m also addicted to getting EVERY PERFECT CORNER thanks to those markers. I love those markers.

Okay you weren’t wrong that helmet cam takes some real getting used to. At first I thought the car was steering itself in the direction the camera was looking at, so in the random five lap custom race I just did, I got 26/27.

I did master all ten corners though, which felt good. Gotta do more custom races with that view before jumping back into the career, but it really has potential, and being inside the car, with the markers and such, I didn’t feel like I really lost that much situational awareness. Great stuff.

Also, dude, have some pride! Friends don’t let friends drive with the default PCARS 3 license plate. Change that up to RBN ROX or something.

-Tom

I CAN CHANGE THAT? Lord I had no idea.

Man, I bet that guy who came in 27th place behind you feels really stupid!

Yeah it is the best VR driving game out there atm.

Like the other Project Cars games, VR support is top notch so you never need to leave your headset or pick up a mouse to do anything, you can do it all from the wheel (or controller).

And it has the benefit of being a great game, with progression and car collection and heaps of content, not just a sim. There’s nothing else like it for VR users, really.

How do you think you get cars that look like this?

And this?

When you select a car in your garage, you can “Get In”, “Upgrade”, or “Customize”. Go into customize and have a ball!

-Tom

This game makes me kinda want to try VR. And thanks for the plate customization tip, I had no idea, either.

I just ordered my first VR headset ever so this is great. :)

Just out of curiosity, which one did you order?

Oculus Quest 2

Thanks. I’d love to try VR, but so many options are tied to facebook, and that’s just a no go for me. That device seems like it’s pretty good, though.

That’s fair. I’ve no such qualms.

So I bought a car just to win a race, and I got one out of three objectives with it. Time to keep practicing!

I see what you mean, Tom, about the merest HINT of going off the track invalidates basically your entire run, and it can be infuriating. I was doing a daily run and went off on the third lap and nearly threw out my controller in frustration.

I then returned an hour later to beat the thing because I love this fucking game.

This review motivated me to try VR in Project Cars 2 since I own that one and I gotta say it’s pretty cool. I think I need to tweak my graphic options down from where I have them in non-VR since it got a little choppy in places. It doesn’t have the fancy notations on the track to give me a heads up for a turn, but I did find I could identify an upcoming turn more easily in VR. My expectations were definitely exceeded as to how different racing felt in VR.

What, really? Did you verify whether they were turned on in the assists menu? I can’t imagine those aren’t available in VR mode. :(

-Tom

I missed it on the second tab :-)

In PC2 though it isn’t raised above the road like you said it is in PC3. I need to try the VR mode in Dirt Rally. I think my favorite thing about racing in VR is how rain and puddle sprays have actual depth instead of how it looks on a screen.

I am sold but I think I will wait until a steam sale. What all is in the deluxe edition? Also project cars 3 implies project cars 1 and project cars 2. Are those worthwhile? Why is project cars 2 still full price?

I am primarily interested in playing vr if that is of interest to you.

So many questions!

I believe the deluxe edition has some extra car packs and such. That’s what I got, also on sale for about $50ish.

From what I understand PC1 and 2 are more on the sim side whereas 3 is more on the simcade side.

I’d say what Brian said above is fair. I played 1, don’t remember it well, but 2 was definitely more ‘simmy’ than this one. (and I don’t mean that I think 3 is not a good sim, I think it’s very good. It’s just much more fleshed out as a game.)

The second one is also the notorious game that Tom Chick can never think of that has you riding shitty go-carts at the start. And he’s right, it really sucks.

Depends on what you’re looking for. For me, no, they’re not worthwhile. As I noted in the review, the main appeal of this game is how it’s different from other racing games, including the previous two Project Cars releases:

Who knows, but I suspect it’s because there’s still a player base running live online races? I’ve had no luck jumping into live online races in Project Cars 3, although I’m really enjoying it’s multiplayer Rivals mode.

-Tom