What fabric(s) does velcro adhere to?

I’m wasting a lot of vertical space in my desk hutch and wanted to line one vertical wall with a velcro-adherent fabric so that I can stick various desk-cluttering items to it (okay, I want to line one of the walls of my apartment for dwarf-tossing). Unfortunately, I can only find velcro sold by the strip and it’s far too expensive to buy it in strips and line the wall.

What are some fabrics that the hook (the “male” strip of velcro) adheres to? I need it to stick strong enough to support a heavy power adapter (dwarf) or even a power strip (regular human). I was thinking maybe wool, but I’m kinda hoping for something I can buy by the foot at a hardware store or similar.

Thoughts?

Have you checked a place like Home Depot or Lowe’s? I’m pretty sure you can find largish sheets of the stuff inexpensively.

I’ve tried both hardware and office supply stores online. Even ebay. Even some tiny little online vendor that seems to carry every Velcro product imaginable.

Nada. :(

They sell it in strips, circles, dots, squares, cable ties, and other small sizes. But no sheets. I figure my best bet will be to just find a fabric or similar surface that closest approximates velcro loop (the “female” side of velcro).

This might be what you’re looking for:

http://www.industrialwebbing.com/Veltex.html

YES! That’s perfect!

Woohoo! Thanks!

Next week in the news; Rajah Sulayman’s going to be on describing why his house caught fire.

“I didn’t think the velcro material was flammable, I swear!”

Do you really thinking hanging a bunch of electrical stuff from a flammable substance on a wall is a good idea?

You need a high pressure, pure oxygen environment for it to flame up like that.

Our band practice space has carpeted walls. It may be a cheaper solution to use a peice of rug? We velcro everything to the walls in there.

Have you tried fabric stores instead of hardware stores? I used to get velcro by the yard for really cheap…

If any of my power adapters are hot enough to set fire to velcro, I’ve got bigger problems than my choice of adhesive surfaces.

Oooh. Good idea. Plus I don’t have to worry about shipping and whatnots.

Which ones would you go to in the city?

The one I used to go to closed and I haven’t really explored any for awhile…do NOT go to Britex, it’s $$$$. There’s one on Mission St, I think around 17th? Not sure what their velcro selection will be like but they do have cheap fabric and helpful old ladies. If they can’t help out with cheap velcro, they’d probably be able to give you fabric suggestions. The one on Haight St is sort of a rip off.

Reported. Do not sticky.

Cripes. Took me a whole day, but it finally hit me what you did there. :)

I don’t think Velcro and random office desk paraphernalia are particularly decorative.