What Games Are You Looking Forward To In 2017?

What a difference 6 months makes. Of the games on the list, I’ve played many and loved some of them, and others … not as much. Of the day 1 games only two (Torment and DoW3) actually came out so far, and I never beat the first (it was solid, but like Wasteland 2 it wasn’t … what I was hoping it would be) and didn’t even pick up the second game (DoW3 is kind of removed from what I was hoping it would be, though I may still grab it at some point).

FF12 is still a big deal, and it’s out in a few weeks finally. Below was delayed indefinitely, RDR2 was delayed to 2018, and there isn’t a release date yet for Oxygen Not Included (though I did play it and it’s got incredible potential) or Hand of Fate 2 (that I know of as I type this). At least Divinity Original Sin 2 has a release date now! Oh man, I need to find some time in September to play this with @ShivaX but we will also be busy playing Warhammer 2! That’s going to be an interesting juggling act.

Strangely, I played and loved more “wait for reviews” type games from my own list. Horizon and DQ8 ended up being the winners on this list, though I got some fun out of Mass Effect 4 (not enough to play it a second time though, I don’t suspect). Prey seems decent, but no one from what I remember reading has yet been “Oh man, this rocks” it’s more “hey, this isn’t bad…” so I’ll wait for some deep discounts on it, I think. Of course, now that E3 2017 has washed over us, we have a better idea of some of these games, and know others (like God of War and Spider-man) won’t be out this year. Is DQ11 out this year? Because I do very much want that…

Is Ever Oasis any good? No one is talking about it that I’ve noticed, but it seemed like it could be cool.

Oh, yeah, and Zelda. Looking like my GOTY more and more. Fuck, I have to find time to play that again here later this week when the first DLC drops… Dammit. That might delay unlocking my Black Mage in FF14! Though I’m actually very pleased to have a reason to play more Zelda, so this is not actually me complaining.

I still have some games I really want to pick up, too. Injustice 2, Nioh, Persona 5 all look like fantastic experiences. I missed them original for other games I was playing (or lack of funds) so at this point I need to probably just get a Best Buy Gamer’s Club membership and pick them up some time.

It’s going to be hard to fit time in for them. E3 has revealed several amazing titles I’m pretty interested in, but if I made a list of games I want day 1 it’s… actually pretty long. Spread out through the year which helps though.

Some of this is potentially “wait for reviews” but honestly? Not much of it. I fully expect each and every one of these titles to get great reviews and be very exciting games worth grabbing day one. Some of them the timing is just perfect, like the Uncharted 4 DLC just a week before Mario + Rabbids, or the Dishonored 2 DLC just a day before Metroid and a that a few weeks before Warhammer 2. Not bad - small, short (2-4 hours I would guess) DLC leading up to longer and bigger released, but all stuff I want to experience. Diablo III DLC is the only one not coming out at a good time - since the season isn’t starting until July I’ll hold off until I wrap up FF12 but while I wait for Uncharted 4 DLC/Rabbids to come out, is my plan looking at this release list for that one.

Anyone else find their 2017 just got a lot busier and more expensive?

EDIT - Shit, I forgot about Assassin’s Creed Origins - 10/27. Oh man, with Mario? Well, I guess I’ll get to wait for reviews first. :)

I haven’t played it, but EG thought it was charming yet flawed:

I was just looking over this thread this weekend to see if anything was sneaking up on me. I don’t think there’s anything left for me this year except Absolver in late August (assuming it’s not delayed).

It should be smooth sailing for my backlog!

Perfect, thanks. In light of all the stuff coming, seems skippable for now.

The last several years have been awesome for games, but 2017 is turning out pretty slow for me. Out of the 2017 releases I have bought so far, there have been some good and some OK

1. Monster Slayers: I played this a ton and like it a lot.
  2. Pathfinder Adventures: Enjoying quite a bit. A solid game.
  3. Endless Space 2: I was kinda disappointed in it. Not bad, but not great
  4. Stars in Shadow: A decent simple 4X.
  5. Galactic Civilizations 3: Crusade: Improved Gal Civ 3 by quit a bit, but didn’t really draw me in beyond playing a game or 2.

2017 releases that I want
There are a bunch I want, but not a lot that I’m dying to get like in past years.
DiRT 4: I want this one a lot and anticipate buying it in the near future.
The Surge: I want it, and think I’ll enjoy it - but don’t think I’ll like the setting as much as Lords of the Fallen.
Prey: Another I want, but not needing.
Mass Effect: Andromeda: Want factor has decreased based on others opinions.
NieR: Automata: Looks like it may be cool, but not a must have.
Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition: I’ve never played this game and feel I should at some point.
Torment: Tides of Numenera: Another where my want factor dropped based on others’ opinions.

Upcoming 2017 releases are very light for me, unless I’m unaware of some.
Race for the Galaxy 6/27: I want either this or the android version. Probably this since I like playing on PC more than my phone.
Total War: Warhammer 2 9/28 I still need to see if I can get into the first one, so I may not even want this.
Middle Earth: Shadow of War 10/10 : After bouncing off the first one at release, I did manage to finish it and thought it was decent. If they can make more varied and interesting enemies - I may be in on this one but it isn’t a given.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus 10/27: The first one was such a good surprise, I have pretty high hopes for this.

I didn’t get any of the games you already got. But the 2017 releases you want, mine are the same.

Of the ones that I did already get from that list:

DiRT 4 - I’m enjoying it so far, though something about the magic of DiRT Rally is missing here, IMO. In some ways this is better, but in other ways it’s not as good. The real life courses of DiRT Rally had a personality and unique flavor that is missing in these procedurally generated tracks. But hey, there’s such a huge variety of tracks as a result of it, so that’s a BIG plus.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I really enjoyed the first three planets in the game. And then based on the feedback from other players about repetition and such, I quit while I still loved the game. I’ve done this several times now in the past year with other media. There’s a Netflix show called “The OA”. I was so happy with the show leading up to the last episode, I decided not to watch the last episode, and walked away loving the show. I loved the anime “Erased” more than any other in a long, long time. There’s a point at which the show ends, and I was blown away by the boldness of the ending. And yet, there’s still 3 episodes to go. So I asked in the anime thread, hey, will I regret it if I keep watching. And the answer was universally yes. So I stopped right there, and Erased is one I still remember as one of the best anime series I’ve ever seen, possibly because of that decision to stop watching. Just today, I saw Dingus post on how the current season of Veep is terrible. So despite loving the show, I’m going to treat it as if Season 5 was the true end of the show.

So yeah, I’m pretty comfortable saying the portion of Andromeda I played was truly excellent, and I’m not regretful at all about getting the game at launch.

So how much of the game is the first 3 planets? I don’t know if I have the disciple to just stop in a story heavy game.

I played for 56 hours so far.

And just to clarify, I do plan to go back to the game later to finish the story. The main criticism against the game is that they repeat the boss fights and other elements of the basic gameplay and design. On the ice planet, I found the boss fight to be amazing. But when I had to do basically the same boss fight again on the desert planet, it wasn’t as amazing. So in this case, I’m stepping away from the game for a while so that on further planets those fights will be fresh for me again.

That’s funny, because in my particular media bubble Prey had been talked about so unanimously positively that I decided to grab it this soon after release :) And after binging on it for 30 hours last weekend, I think it’s a fabulous game in a genre that doesn’t see a lot of action these days.

The deep discounts will of course happen quickly since this is a non-BGS Bethesda game. But in retrospect, I was very happy to buy it for the current Steam sale price and play it now rather than wait.

That’s good to hear. Various podcasts made it sound like a mixed bag. Fun design, but also a bag full of cheap jump scares. Fun gameplay, but limited enemy variety. I don’t honestly remember what specifically turned this from a day 1 purchase to a “wait for a sale” but something did, maybe more than one something, so it’s nice to hear at least one person champion it. It’s on my wishlist and I’m sure to get to it it some day!

The games i’m looking forward to are the one I should be playing instead of idling on my shelf/library, not being played!

Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Never Alone
Child of Light
Everybody Left for the Rapture
The Show 2017
IL-2 Sturmovik: Stalingrad
Sorcery! 3 (to finish)
Sorcery! 4

… just as a start. Not to mention all the films i’m behind.

But as far as new things…
Life is Strange: Before the Storm (already purchased! I’m actually excited about this and will 100% for sure play it).
Vampyr (less excited about this than LiS prequel, but… gotta support DONTNOD. Not preordered yet (is that possible?)).
Warhammer 2 ( I guess. Kinda would rather play more Attila at this point. I wonder if this won’t have a pretty significant drop off in sales. Probably still buy it 'cause CA).
Total War Unknown History Expansion (More excited about this than War2! Hope it’s Attila, i’m guess Viking Invasions or possibly Viking Explorations? It might even be a fun mix of mythology and history, since they’re doing so well with Warhammer, some kind of Poetic Edda Total War.)

I just read through the whole Prey thread today, so I’m pretty sure I know exactly what! You were worried about the save game corruption issue on PC. AFAIK, that was fixed.

(Also, you bowed out of the thread due to wanting to avoid spoilers, which might explain why you never saw anybody thinking it was better than just ok. If you’re looking to be convinced, I’d be happy to link to some of the spoiler free post-game impression posts).

Yeah, I’m also looking forward to Prey @Scotch_Lufkin, and the discussion in the Qt3 thread has only made me want it more. Lots of passionate love for the game in that thread.

That’s actually some incredibly helpful detective work, thanks! And yeah, I’d love some spoiler free impressions from the hive mind, that would be really helpful. If the save game bug (I had completely forgotten about it) has been fixed maybe I should grab it while I can on the Steam sale. $40 is a pretty fair price, seems to me?

Hey Scott - I posted this just yesterday, so - to give you an idea of what I think

Its basically the successor to System Shock 2. Its a massive, sprawling world, where you are given a ton of different tools to do things the way you like. Instead of classes like in SS2, you have skilllines that basically make the same choices, but you can mix it up as you wish.
Its a very well made, very well written, extremely consistent game, that requires a little patience, since you will die if you treat it like a shooter, and just and run - just like in System Shock 2.

Oh, and by consistent I mean in terms of the gameworld - There is a ton of lore in various emails, logs and so on, and all of those who wrote those, can be found somewhere on the station.

Its also a game filled with secrets - I’ve talked with 3 different people i know who made it to the “Office”, and all three had different weapons, but none of them found the specific one I found. Of course, some of that is based on your first few skill point choices.

Anyways - its a solid recommendation from me, unless you are looking for a run-and-gun shooter, that is.

But now @anonymgeist just posted that he wasn’t loving it! Maybe he can quote his opinion here, and then someone can quote their rebuttal.

Or Scott should stop being a scaredy cat about spoilers and go read the thread. :P

No need, I just bought it. Seemed a pretty good price for such a new game, and I did enjoy the demo. Sorry for the annoying thread derail @TimJames and @Rock8man!

All in good fun. In any case, it’s better than posting about everyone’s “haul.”

Oh my goodness, this is the 2017 thread, not the Steam sale thread. I get confused since it’s so hard to check the thread title in Discourse.

I guess I should tap that post slider instead of hitting back like I usually do.

I think it’s a great game, and right now would be my GOTY. It really is the closest thing to a System Shock 2 sequel I’ve seen. I’ve enjoyed it immensely.