What Games Are You Looking Forward To In 2017?

I played for 56 hours so far.

And just to clarify, I do plan to go back to the game later to finish the story. The main criticism against the game is that they repeat the boss fights and other elements of the basic gameplay and design. On the ice planet, I found the boss fight to be amazing. But when I had to do basically the same boss fight again on the desert planet, it wasn’t as amazing. So in this case, I’m stepping away from the game for a while so that on further planets those fights will be fresh for me again.

That’s funny, because in my particular media bubble Prey had been talked about so unanimously positively that I decided to grab it this soon after release :) And after binging on it for 30 hours last weekend, I think it’s a fabulous game in a genre that doesn’t see a lot of action these days.

The deep discounts will of course happen quickly since this is a non-BGS Bethesda game. But in retrospect, I was very happy to buy it for the current Steam sale price and play it now rather than wait.

That’s good to hear. Various podcasts made it sound like a mixed bag. Fun design, but also a bag full of cheap jump scares. Fun gameplay, but limited enemy variety. I don’t honestly remember what specifically turned this from a day 1 purchase to a “wait for a sale” but something did, maybe more than one something, so it’s nice to hear at least one person champion it. It’s on my wishlist and I’m sure to get to it it some day!

The games i’m looking forward to are the one I should be playing instead of idling on my shelf/library, not being played!

Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Never Alone
Child of Light
Everybody Left for the Rapture
The Show 2017
IL-2 Sturmovik: Stalingrad
Sorcery! 3 (to finish)
Sorcery! 4

… just as a start. Not to mention all the films i’m behind.

But as far as new things…
Life is Strange: Before the Storm (already purchased! I’m actually excited about this and will 100% for sure play it).
Vampyr (less excited about this than LiS prequel, but… gotta support DONTNOD. Not preordered yet (is that possible?)).
Warhammer 2 ( I guess. Kinda would rather play more Attila at this point. I wonder if this won’t have a pretty significant drop off in sales. Probably still buy it 'cause CA).
Total War Unknown History Expansion (More excited about this than War2! Hope it’s Attila, i’m guess Viking Invasions or possibly Viking Explorations? It might even be a fun mix of mythology and history, since they’re doing so well with Warhammer, some kind of Poetic Edda Total War.)

I just read through the whole Prey thread today, so I’m pretty sure I know exactly what! You were worried about the save game corruption issue on PC. AFAIK, that was fixed.

(Also, you bowed out of the thread due to wanting to avoid spoilers, which might explain why you never saw anybody thinking it was better than just ok. If you’re looking to be convinced, I’d be happy to link to some of the spoiler free post-game impression posts).

Yeah, I’m also looking forward to Prey @Scotch_Lufkin, and the discussion in the Qt3 thread has only made me want it more. Lots of passionate love for the game in that thread.

That’s actually some incredibly helpful detective work, thanks! And yeah, I’d love some spoiler free impressions from the hive mind, that would be really helpful. If the save game bug (I had completely forgotten about it) has been fixed maybe I should grab it while I can on the Steam sale. $40 is a pretty fair price, seems to me?

Hey Scott - I posted this just yesterday, so - to give you an idea of what I think

Its basically the successor to System Shock 2. Its a massive, sprawling world, where you are given a ton of different tools to do things the way you like. Instead of classes like in SS2, you have skilllines that basically make the same choices, but you can mix it up as you wish.
Its a very well made, very well written, extremely consistent game, that requires a little patience, since you will die if you treat it like a shooter, and just and run - just like in System Shock 2.

Oh, and by consistent I mean in terms of the gameworld - There is a ton of lore in various emails, logs and so on, and all of those who wrote those, can be found somewhere on the station.

Its also a game filled with secrets - I’ve talked with 3 different people i know who made it to the “Office”, and all three had different weapons, but none of them found the specific one I found. Of course, some of that is based on your first few skill point choices.

Anyways - its a solid recommendation from me, unless you are looking for a run-and-gun shooter, that is.

But now @anonymgeist just posted that he wasn’t loving it! Maybe he can quote his opinion here, and then someone can quote their rebuttal.

Or Scott should stop being a scaredy cat about spoilers and go read the thread. :P

No need, I just bought it. Seemed a pretty good price for such a new game, and I did enjoy the demo. Sorry for the annoying thread derail @TimJames and @Rock8man!

All in good fun. In any case, it’s better than posting about everyone’s “haul.”

Oh my goodness, this is the 2017 thread, not the Steam sale thread. I get confused since it’s so hard to check the thread title in Discourse.

I guess I should tap that post slider instead of hitting back like I usually do.

I think it’s a great game, and right now would be my GOTY. It really is the closest thing to a System Shock 2 sequel I’ve seen. I’ve enjoyed it immensely.

Grab these games off your shelf and play them! Both are excellent.

People’s “hauls” were actually interesting to me this year, since I was mostly out of the game because of last year’s sales, and deciding I need to finish those games first. The haul lists actually helped me decide which games I’m looking forward to playing in 2018. Things like Logistical, however that’s capitalized. It was interesting seeing Brian convince a few people to get that game, and then during the Steam sale, I started my Steam app one day, and it was a sea of green names on my friends list, all playing Logistical.

So I’m definitely looking forward to playing that in 2018. Same with Prey.

I was kinda happy there was someone else holding out. Now I … feel alone. :-)

I don’t think I ever play System Shock surprisingly enough.

[quote=“Scott_Lufkin, post:205, topic:127323, full:true”]
That’s good to hear. Various podcasts made it sound like a mixed bag.[/quote]

Mac from Worth a Buy thought it the best FPS since Half Life! “Different to the AAA shite we normally get”. “A blast from the past”.

That’s all the encouragement you should need.

I received my Steam key for Kingdoms & Castles as a backer on Fig.

Will not have a chance to play until next week due to the holiday weekend trip.

I believe the game is supposed to go live in july.

http://kingdomsandcastles.com/

Steam says Late July

WIll definitely be interested in hearing your take on it after you get back from your trip. Hope you enjoy both.

That does look like it could be good. Keep us posted.