What Games Are You Looking Forward To In 2017?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I can’t think of anything I’m looking forward to for the remainder of the year.

Which isn’t to say I won’t be pleasantly surprised by a number of indie titles that just pop in from out of nowhere.

This has effectively been out for months and has sold like 13M copies.

True, but it’s not out on Xbox yet, right? I was just looking by publisher, and that was the only big Microsoft release that I could find for the rest of 2017.

I enjoyed @tomchick and @Jason_McMaster’s PUBG session a lot on the Qt3 livestream.

Let’s see, Andromeda came out so I guess all I’m really anxious for this year is the new Layton game on 3DS.

Looking back at my June post, from my list I ended up getting:
Dirt 4 (while a good game it turns out I didn’t want another Rally game as much as I thought)
Prey (pretty happy with this one)
Race for the Galaxy (another good one)

I’ll probably get these at a bargain at some point:
The Surge
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Nier: Automata
Middle Earth: Shadow of War

The only upcoming release that I want a lot is:
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus PC

Yeah, i didn’t gel with Dirt 4 either. I just didn’t find the same joy with the procedurally generated courses as I did with the hand made courses in DiRT Rally.

What is this? I’ve never heard of it. Is it a strategy game? (If so, I can ignore it until 2025).

EDIT: I found the Qt3 thread. It sounds like a mobile version of a board game, which is why it never got on my radar I guess.

There has, in the last few weeks, been a sudden uptick in games I’m interested in between discussions here, podcasts, and just browsing the steam store. Here are the ones on Steam I want (note some of these I may grab on Switch instead, because the Switch is awesome). Click for the full list.

In addition to this, I also want Nioh on PC, I have pre-ordered Mario Odyssey and I haven’t hardly touched Mario+Rabbids, I am keenly interested in Golf Story (Switch), I want to get Assassin’s Creed Origins as well, and there are some 3DS games I need (Etrian Odysse V, Metroid Samus Returns) as well as the expansion for Horizon Zero Dawn and the Uncharted 4 Lost Story title.

WTF.

EDIT - Forgot about the Crypt of the Necrodancer Amplified DLC, also I still want Binding of Isaac on Switch and Shiren The Wanderer for Vita.

There are plenty of games that I think I’d like, like Hob, maybe Battle Chasers, and a bunch of others - but there just hasn’t been a lot that I’ve been like - damn I need to get that game.

I honestly feel like my pre-order of Mario Odyssey plus stuff I already own like Warhammer 2 will keep me in the black the rest of the year, but everything on this list I kind of want to be playing. Not enough time in the day, honestly.

I got the PC version of it, but yeah it’s a port of the board (well card based) game.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :)

Apart from that:

• Super Mario Odyssey
  • Destiny 2 (PC)
  • Assassin’s Creed Origins
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 (single player campaign)
  • Elex
  • Stardew Valley (Switch release out now!)
  • Double-dip on Nioh PC if it has unlocked frame rate

Looking at the lists made me curious about how I feel about the purchases I did make this year. I broke them into 3 categories: Worth it, Regret, and Haven’t Played Enough. I left out bundle chaff.

The breakdown: Worth It: 18, Regret: 11, Not Played: 6

Worth it
Out of the Park Baseball 18
Rocksmith 2014
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen
Solar Settlers
Antihero
Prey Retail
Race for the Galaxy
Dungeon Warfare
Pathfinder Adventures
DuckTales Remastered
Stephen’s Sausage Roll
Homefront: The Revolution + Season Pass
Kingdom: New Lands Royal Edition
Axes and Acres
Monster Slayers
SUPERHOT
Ryse: Son of Rome
SteamWorld Heist

Regret
Total War: WARHAMMER + DLC
Sonic The Hedgehog
Age of Empires II + DLC
Age of Empires III: Complete Collection
DiRT 4 Retail
Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade Expansion Pack
The Curious Expedition
Fallout 4 Season Pass
The Witness
Project Highrise
Endless Space® 2

Haven’t Played Enough
Atari Vault
Twilight Struggle
DARK SOULS III - Season Pass
Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira

You’d think by now I’d know myself well enough to not have so many regrets, but at least I haven’t bought a lot of stuff this year that I haven’t played (and it’s almost all DLC). I guess I do easily regret things, which I already knew. Not a great trait to have.

Why do you regret The Witness? Was it not what you expected it to be?

I actually liked the individual puzzles (that I played), but I didn’t like having to find the actual puzzles in the world. I kept wandering around trying to find something new and I couldn’t do it - and gave up.

To truly appreciate The Witness , you have to watch the videos in the basement. :p

I don’t even know what that means!

Aside from a few overlaps we’re like mirror universe opposites in taste.

Here is the test that will seal it. Do you like Diablo 3?