What Games Are You Looking Forward To In 2017?

Yep, Hare Brained Schemes (Shadowrun devs) are making a turn based Battletech computer game. There is alpha footage on Youtube.

http://battletechgame.com/

Battletech
Dawn of War 3
Age of Conan :Exiles
RdR 2

And hope many a hit I have not heard about yet.

Just wanted to add this one to my list:

Something to make VR worthwhile. Or some ridiculous Japanese thing that requires 3 PS Pros linked with special cables.

Just watched the trailer for this and damn it looks cool.

Every game I looked forward to in 2016 had major, major issues, so dreading this year- but Tekken, Trails in the Sky 3rd, and At the Gates.

I’ll go with Ace Combat 7, AI War II and Frozen Synapse 2.

Fingers crossed on this one.

Yes, At the Gates and Torment, since I paid for both oh so very long ago. I don’t even remember what year I paid for them.

EDIT: Just checked. Backed each two years ago, so not too long I guess.

I looked through my Kickstarters to see what else I had coming in 2017, and it looks like I’m going to be having good times next year:

Darkest Night 2E
Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black
Tiny Epic Quest
AI War II

Reading through this thread from the beginning, nothing really gets me excited so far. Some potentially good games coming, for sure. But nothing that I’m anticipating that looks like a Day One purchase so far.

I’ve got some great games lined up thanks to the Thanksgiving sale and Christmas sales though. That should keep me busy until at least April, when I’m scheduled to become a dad, after which I hear I’ll probably have no time left for games for a while anyway.

Just about every game ever announced for 2017 has been mentioned in this thread in some form or another, and not a single one does anything for you? I am not trying to be snarky, I’m being earnest when I suggest you might not be into gaming just at the moment.

I think you misunderstand. It’s like your three categories that I can’t quote because they’re an image of text. You have your Day One stuff, and then your “wait for reviews” stuff, and maybe wait for bargains, etc. I’m just saying nothing so far calls out to me as Day One so far. It all falls into “wait for reviews” or below.

That makes a little more sense, but I still feel a little bummed (on your behalf, of course you aren’t bummed whatsoever!) that nothing ignites your passion. There are (to me) some really exciting things happening next year! I hope something gets announced you can be excited for!

I think I’ve now settled into a mode where I’d rather have tepid expectations and be pleasantly surprised when I finally get to the game. :-)

For example, the multiplayer beta of the new DOOM really dampened my expectations for the game, but when I finally got to it, it turned out to be amazing! Ori & the Blind Forest was a game I honestly didn’t think could come anywhere near the height of the genre for me (Rayman: Origins) because it was too soon, but it is so delightful, I think it might actually equal Rayman or surpass it.

The last couple of times I actually really excited for games, I’ve been disappointed. The last big one was The Witness, and before that it was probably Watch Dogs. I think those two games really made me temper expectations. That’s partially why I wasn’t disappointed in No Man’s Sky at launch. I went in expecting mediocrity and was delighted to find something very special that truly sparked my imagination in ways games hadn’t done in a while.

I guess I’d rather go in expecting an okay game and discover something wonderful instead. And that’s served me well in 2015 and 2016.

The Buddha would approve of your mindset. Anticipation is the cause of all disappointment, better to expect nothing and accept what life brings you.

Here’s my full list (so far) for the record. :)

Already bought

• Tales of Berseria
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 (EA)
  • Endless Space 2 (EA)

Buying for sure

• Mass Effect: Andromeda
  • Nights of Azure
  • Atelier Sophie
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera (EA)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord (I hope!)
  • Oxygen Not Included

Likely to buy

• Nier: Automata
  • Streets of Rogue
  • Hob
  • Rakuen
  • Exanima (EA)
  • Crosscode (EA)
  • Astroneer (EA)
  • Styx: Shards of Darkness
  • Vampyr
  • Hand of Fate 2
  • Frozen Synapse 2
  • Tokyo 42
  • ELEX
  • The Long Journey Home
  • Dawn of War 3
  • Scalebound
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance
  • Wartile
  • Heat Signature
  • Shenmue 3

Keeping an eye at

• Antihero
  • Overland
  • Lost Ark
  • Below

Speaking as one who also isn’t very excited by most of the games on the list, I can say in my case it comes from 30 years of the same-old, same-old, and what really excites me are the indie titles that come out of left field and dare to try something new.

A year ago, who had Gremlins, Inc on their list of most anticipated games? Or Sengoku Jidai- Shadow of the Shogun? Or Shadow Tactics, for that matter? Until a week or two ago, no one had really heard much about Antihero,but if it lives up to it’s potential it will probably be on my best-of list for 2017.

There are also a couple of exciting games that I can’t discuss due to beta testing with a NDA, but I’m eagerly looking forward to the final product.

I’m looking forward to lots of great games in the next year. I just don’t know what they are yet.

Nothing on the lists above really gets my blood pumping either.

Endless Space 2
Dawn of War 3

Those are really the only two that I feel certain that I’d buy… and maybe not, depending on reviews.

BUT, I’m fairly sure that there will be some out-of-left-field game that smacks me across the face like a fresh halibut. So, I’m really looking forward to that game.

A couple of games I remembered that haven’t been mentioned in this thread yet:

The games that are successors to Looking Glass Studios games.

Prey is due out this year right?
And Underworld Ascendant?

Or are those farther out? 2018?