What Games Are You Looking Forward To In 2017?

I haven’t tested it, but my understanding is that Warband supports gamepads.

Should be a good year for my gaming niches.

The almost sure things (knock on wood):

Battletech
Untitled Paradox Game (surely a game will be announced and released this year)
Crusader Kings 2: Monks and Mystics

The risks:

theHunter: Call of the Wild
Urban Empire
Realpolitiks

CK III or Vicky III would be my guess - and either would make me extremely happy.

Judging from the GOTY voting thread, I’m now really looking forward to playing Stardew Valley on the Xbox in 2017. I thought about getting it during the steam sale, but since it always draws parallels to the Harvest Moon games, it sounds like a kick back couch game to me. And the X1 version still has some bugs according to reviews. Hopefully those will be ironed out by later 2017 when I’m ready for the game and the game is ready for me.

I realize this is off topic but you just made me wonder - if I recall correctly you have a PS4 as well, so how do you decide which game to play on which platform? Like Stardew Valley for instance.

I’m sceptical about CK III, they’re still making DLCs for 2!! My probability assessment for next game released is Vicky 3 50%, Rome 2 25%, Cold War / Modern game 25%.

I’d like to see them give the Fantasy Genre (not just medieval history) the Grand Strategy treatment in an original IP.

I’d like to see a Civ-like game in the EU IV style, but span history and start with 1 settlement civs that we nurture and grow. The thing I have a hard time getting into with EU IV is starting as an established country with most land already claimed and diplomatic relations established.

Let’s split the difference and ask them to make a a Grand Strategy game like you describe, but more Master of Magic than Civ. :)

That decision is usually easy.

If it’s a multiplatform game, and I’m choosing between PS4 and XB1, and the XB1 version isn’t inferior in some massive way, I pick that version. First of all, XB1 allows me to snap TV to the side and watch football while I play (for example). Plus I don’t care about trophies on PS4, but achievement pop-ups still feel so good to get. I don’t care about PS4 leaderboards and multiplayer, since all my RL friends are only on XB1.

So I usually get PS4 exclusives on PS4. And multiplatform games on XB1.

It’s apparent from Stellaris that they stumble a bit when out of their comfort zone. Not that Stellaris is a bad game, but certainly a disappointment compared to EU IV or CK II. I’d prefer to see them get back to what they are really good at for a year or two before stepping out again.

In the spirit of Paradox and paying attention to diplomacy I think your suggestion is fair enough. Relationship + 20.

That’s interesting, I bet you’re in a small minority of folks who own both consoles and choose the Xbox for multiplatform games.

I’ve been pretty much told by my sister that we will not be playing any survival zombie games in the new year or any soon to come so I am hoping one of the other type sin that genre will actually… finish. and be released. Conan, you’re looking even better now.

Bunch of my friends and coworkers do for multiplayer games. Old XBL preferences die hard.

Fallout 4 Complete Edition… 50% off … Christmas 2017 ???
Dark Souls 3 Complete Edition … 33% off … Christmas 2017 ???

I think I see a pattern here.

I don’t hold much hope that Bethesda/id knows what to do with multiplayer. It appears that Quake Champions is going the route of hardcore for the hardcorest audience, but I don’t think that has any appeal outside of a niche group.

Beyond just being a mechanically good shooter Overwatch also has appealing character design that allows the audience to invest themselves into the community-made art and stories. This is a big draw for the casual players. Can you imagine anyone giving a shit about Visor’s backstory?

I do as well. I just like achievements better, and a few other incidentals like the controllers, as unreliable as they have been.

They are worth money on the XBone as well.

Sony has been squandering the rep they built up in the run-up to this generation release. Backwards compatibility has completely moved me back into the XBox camp. I own both but the XBOne pretty much runs my living room.

We’re actually covering this on our podcast tonight, so I had to do a whole list!

Space Games I’m Most Looking Forward To:

Convicted Galaxy
PULSAR: Lost Colony
Void Destroyer 2
Starfighter Inc
Alliance of the Sacred Suns
The Long Journey Home
Rogue System
3030 Deathwar Redux

Non-Space Games I’m Most Looking Forward To:

Frozen Synapse 2
Urban Empire