What gives you hope?

Candidates for public office that better reflect the populations they seek to represent. For instance, a record number of women are either running or making plans to run for public office.

And a record number of Native Americans are running for office this year.

I know, folks can tack a “but” on the end of both of these, BUT I think that it is a good sign that a more diverse set of candidates are emerging, moving us a little further away from the days of male, pale and stale candidates.

My father, bless him, when I asked him who he was planning to vote for in 2000 which was the last election he lived through, said, “I’m voting for the women, because the men have fucked everything up.”

Hoping you all are having a good day.

This.

Not trying to squash your hope, but you know this is really just Democrats, right? Dems are putting forward over 40% of their candidates as women now, but for Republicans it is still around 10%.

Yeah, but that won’t be an issue when the GOP becomes a super minority party.

Are we sure that will happen? It turns out that high-income people who want favorable tax treatment plus people motivated by white anxiety is a pretty good-sized coalition, and there’s no reason to believe it won’t be a sizable for some years to come. All it takes is someone willing to go back to the GOP dog whistle era of the last 30 years or so rather than read Mein Kampf with a megaphone.

I mean, look at the thorough disaster of the Bush administration. Despite that, it only took two terms for the GOP to get back in the White House. I think it’s very likely the Dem candidate wins in 2020, but wildly unlikely that we’ll see more than two or three Dem terms before another GOP candidate is in the White House.

I miss him being a senator too. If he runs in Oregon I’ll vote for him.

This Theodore Parker quote is what gives me hope:

“I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice.”

Apparently not much oh unhappy warriors.

I saw this quote attributed to Howard Zinn from his autobiography so here you go.

This was some good news last night.

This is a campaign I was pleased to have played a small part in to stop this measure from reaching the Kansas ballot. Not over yet, but then it never is.

Holy crap dude. That was close. I’m not sure I have hope or doom with so many people supporting the passage of this bill - it barely lost.

While the amendment won the approval of the majority of the chamber by an 80-43 vote, supporters needed to hit a two-thirds majority, or 84 votes in the 125-member chamber, for the amendment to be on the ballot in the August primary election.

The measure failed after four Republicans bucked their party and several Democrats representing conservative districts opposed the amendment.

Would you mind expanding on how you helped or the efforts behind the scene on how you stopped this madness?