What have you played in the weekend?

I have a great hole of a few years where I didn’t play much, so I’ve missed out.
I can easily see why this is a great game. The first hour I was mostly cringing over how bad the characters look however. I’ve been playing a lot of really beautiful games lately (graphic wise) and to jump over to this with high expectations fell kind of flat.
BUT - know I’ve played for 4-5 hours and can definitely see myself getting totally sucked in to this.

This was my feeling for Andromeda all the way through :)

I’ve been chunking away with a game or two a day of Has Been Heroes (finally beat the poison boss last night, so I’m close to finishing it the first time?) Just getting my toes wet with Elex, which really looks a lot less ugly than I thought, but feels like it’s got that crazy PB jank we all known and…remember? And of course, some League of Legends, which I usually get in at least one game every day (my god, I’ve been playing since before season 1, and season 8 starts soon.)

It took me 4 tries before I finally stuck with it. I had to learn to accept it for what it is. The combat isn’t good in my opinion. What it excels at is the exploration - how you can just find cool things without running from one icon to another. Some of the landscapes and wildflowers are beautiful to travel though.

Guild Wars 2 and Faeria. Just trying to get a character to 80 in GW2 and trying to get more cards in Faeria.

Still playing Divinity Original Sin 2. In the thick of Act 2 with my all Conjuring party. Doing great and having a blast so far.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead and starting to learn/play Darkest Dungeon. Throwing in some Through the Ages to lighten things up.

If I’m ever stuck in a Lost-type underground bunker, forced to press a button over and over, the first thing I’ll do is see if the terminal supports CDDA

XXX Corps.

My defense of Betuwe was not ideal.

In the rematch, we are two turns in and I had the exact same result while trying to capture the north end of Arnhem bridge. Wild-card this time, though: the Germans failed to blow the rail bridge. Ka-RAZY!

Yeah I think this will be my opinion as well. I guess I have built up the expectations for Skyrim and when I finally got to it, it was just… meh. And yeah, the combat is cluncy.
I got a shitstorm from a friend that was SO upset with me for changing to third person, when he meant it HAD to be played first person, but I just can’t stand that, especially not in a fantasy RPG. Can’t really imagine it would make it that much better tho.
Still, I’ll stick with it some more, the exploring is fun and the quests seem fun so far as well.

It’s a very different experience though. It’s the difference YOU experiencing the world contra you seeing someone else experiencing the world

My main issue with Skyrim’s combat is how magic works. I hate combat casting in that game. It sounds cool in theory—shoot fire and ice bolts at the same time—but it just doesn’t work that well. I usually play a mage in RPGs, but Skyrim made me switch to a rogue-archer type in a hurry.

Yup. Not even gonna bother with the magic.

I really like the Elder Scrolls games’ world (and even the lore, gasp) but I always find the moment to moment gameplay boring. If anything, combat tends to drag me out of the fantasy tourism simulator I want those games to be (I always remember how trippy an experience Morrowind is, until I was disappointingly teared down by some powerful foe because I went where I shouldn’t have gone). Seeing my character takes out some of the immersion, so I prefer the first person in those games.

Halo 4 night was a huge success! I had to scramble to locate two more copies of the game on Saturday. Who knew it would be so hard to find?! I picked up one copy for $5 and the other for $8. We played lots of different game types. Grifball is the overwhelming favorite when we get everyone together. It was 6 v 6 most of the night in all game modes, dipping to 5 v 5 a couple times also. Other modes we played included ShotSwords (shotguns and swords only), Crazy King of the Hill (single moving hill with a 30 second win timer and every man for himself… very hard to rack up points and tons of death), Snipers and Shotguns only, Team Longball (our variation on Oddball. Teams. Exploding ball.), CTF, Infection, and Extraction.

We always start with Rockets only to get everyone warmed up. Team based and we threw in some vehicles accidentally, but that just enhanced the chaos. The closest games came in Grifball and Team Longball. There was a Longball win that was a one second difference at the final timer. We were doing 4 v 4 v 4 in that mode.

Here’s a couple dark pix. I was the bottom left screen in the split in the second shot which is why it’s clear. I was standing still and getting grief for taking pictures instead of smashing enemies and scoring goals. There were four per TV. Eight in the living room and four out in the much better lit dining room. That other screen facing the camera is my PC which they were occasionally messing with Overwatch on between games.

The hell you say, that’s the only way I play. Sword in one hand, spell in the other. Love. It.

Played lots of Wolfenstein II. Some remarkably grim moments in that game, not counting the Strogg moment, which kinda made me facepalm a little… even though I knew something like that was coming (meow).

The game is also telling me that I may be outgrowing the arena shooter. I can’t say that I was having fun in the courtroom battle, for example. I guess I prefer the steady march and strategic positioning over circle-strafing and running for your life toward the next armor and/or life pickup. (It doesn’t help that the game’s pickup routines are remarkably sloppy, which I could see being a design decision).

But the writing, with all of the trigger moments, made me smile in the fact that some of them made me feel uncomfortable.

I have said this before on QT3 but my favorite game would combine the open world of Skyrim with Dark Souls combat.

Mine as well.

I started yet another PoE game after watching a youtube video on a paladin (wayfarer) fragsteal build. I think this is my 8th.