What have you played in the weekend?

Noted, I’d forgotten all about that one thanks to EGS. Can’t pay full price for it in light of that, but one of these days it’ll be on sufficient sale on GOG and I’ll take a look.

I think it’s part of the Windows Store X Box service. So, for a dollar, you could play and beat it (if you do it under a month).

Ah, wasn’t aware it was also a Windows thing. I don’t have 10, so that’s not an option, but might be one of these days.

I think the term blobber pretty much is a solid line between us old suckers and new gamers.

Enjoyed my time with it a while back!

I’ve bought the West Coast Bundle of America Truck Yeah! (or American Truck Simulator for us Europeans that unironically like * Simulator games) now that it was on sale and it’s the first DLC for that game that I’ve paid for since I bought it in 2016. Don’t know if I’m breaking thread rules with a screenshot from Oregon but here goes.

It does do more justice to the Pacific Northwest so far than the Crew games ever did but I guess that’s a low bar to clear.

They seem to have picked up the pace for adding DLC states from 1 to 2 states a year so I might have a chance to see Alaska/Hawaii in 2041?
I have no idea what they’re plans are but they should probably skip the midwest past Colorado and go east through Texas even if Dakota could be cool?

Otherwise I’ll probably play Control but so far it has left me uncomfortable (“hissing” sound design makes me anxious) and a little perplexed. I’ve heard that it might get more fun when you unlock more stuff and the story is interesting enough.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Surviving Mars. My colony is almost self-sufficient in production but now renegades are popping up and I’ve triggered the “Wildfire” mystery so I’ll see if I can hit the final mission goal.

I always thought the term was party based RPGs, but the first one I ever played was Warriors of the Eternal Sun, so I might just too young for all that.

Busy weekend, so not much gaming. I managed to squeeze in a round of the old 1830 PC-game right now, though, which went well.

I promised you all I’d play Remnant and Red Dead Redemption 2 but then I read that The Surge is leaving Game Pass so I booted that up and it’s all I’ve played. I’M A NO-GOOD, LYING SON OF A BITCH! But The Surge is really, quite fun.

I hate that term even more than MOBA. My initial reaction to this style is ‘meh’ but then I think about how awesome M&M and Wiz 8 was. I keep bouncing off Bards Tale 4 but I will get into it one day sooner or later I am sure.

Smash Bros with my son, just picked it up for his birthday. Never really played one of those games but he wanted it.

No time for RDR2 despite being what I want to play exclusively. I will probably get back to the Outer Wilds but it never really got its hooks into me despite looking like a fantastic Fallout 4 and Bioshock mashup.

You mean Out of this World. Err Outer Worlds, certainly.

Pretty sure I meant Breath of the Wind.

It’s a great and insane party fighting game, supporting 8 players on a single Switch if you have the controllers/humans/big TV for it. Super-generous amount of stuff in the game.

Kid should love unlocking all the characters as you go, especially if he’s familiar with Nintendo franchises.

Have you looked at Infinite Adventures? It’s a little anime, but Wizardry was more popular in Japan than the West.

@profanicus One of the major TOs for Smash is now having issues with parents demanding their kids be “seeded properly” for Smash tournies.

Wait what now? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

It’s not saying much, because it was quite niche there to begin with. Also Wizardry got stuck in the spirits of its first iterations (maybe for the best, if you are to believe some) since it spawned a parallel series of mindless dungeon grinders, which spawned a whole school of similar games and then weird iterations, that ultimately went back to the west in the form of Etrian Odyssey on one extreme, and Dark Souls on the other.
Ultima is still popular in Japan, it’s called Dragon Quest.

I’ve read that there were quite a number of Wizardry-likes released there along with ports of the original games. I remember the first Wizardry game was ported to the NES.

The recent Stranger of Sword City is also Wizardry like.

Wizardry was very influential in Japan. Have you heard of Etrian Odyssey as @Left_Empty noted? It’s basically modern Wizardry, with map drawing included because it’s on Nintendo DS! Dungeon crawling never died in Japan.

Sure, I’ve played Etrian Odyssey, I really like those games. Same with the DQ games, they’re a blast from the past in their own way. I can definitely see the influence, there’s a direct lineage there. But are we saying these games are bigger in Japan, or that the original Wizardry games were bigger in Japan?

It’s tricky: they were probably relatively bigger, because the computer market was much smaller than what is my understanding of the American computer market then, and because the first Wizardry trilogy objectively got remade and remade into hundreds of games, spawning pretty much a whole genre. But it’s just understanding, and not backed by any numbers — I don’t think we dispose of any, sadly.
Some aspects of modern JRPG can be tentatively explained by looking at those early CRPGs, like the ever-present grind, be it for levels or money, or the strong divide between narrative and gameplay sequences (if there is even a narrative).