What have you played in the weekend?

How does Blade Runner hold up?

The graphics look a bit dated, of course, but the game absolutely nails the Blade Runner atmosphere. I’m really digging it. Highly recommended if you’re a Blade Runner fan and you’re looking for a classic adventure game to play. And it runs well on Windows 10, no crashes yet.

And I’ve been playing a metric F-ton of Bomber Crew (mostly the RAF campaign). Got it back when Twitch Prime giveaway games were actually worth something.

I tried the B-17 American campaign but it has a crazy difficulty spike after the very first critical mission. Suddenly on “low risk” missions you’re getting swamped with 9 -12 fighters at a time, well before your radio person is qualified to auto-tag them, and before you’ve earned nearly enough coin to armor your bomber at all. It’s kinda BS and not fun.

You like it mate? What’s the hook?

Mechwarrior 5? Yeah Lovin’ it! The hook… umm… Well everytime you blew up things gud, you get paid, cash you use to buy bigger stompier robots. That bit of the game is finely tuned. It’s fun, dumb and slightly addictive.

Most of my Secret of Mana time became Sky Force Reloaded time - I picked it up in the Steam sale thanks to some recommendations from here a while back and managed to lose most of my weekend to it, grinding up through Insane difficulty on the first two stages and making it up to stage 8 on Normal. This game does a great job of slowly ratcheting up the difficulty.

What happened to the weekend???

Yeah, Sky Force Reloaded is super. Sadly, that’s around the place where I eventually got stuck. I never could finish the final boss in that game. I should try it again. I’ve gone back a few times now, thinking maybe I’ll magically gain some mad skillz in the interim.

This is a fantastic game. Looks an awful lot like Doorkickers (and Hotline Miami before it), but Doorkickers akin to Rainbow 6 and Police Stories is more SWAT 3/4. I am impressed how much of the SWAT tension translates into a 2D low-res game.

Of course it is bittersweet as it just makes me want a proper SWAT 5. It’s nice that Swat 4 and its expansion are on Gog…

My big issue right now is that I’m having a hard time giving commands fast and accurate enough to keep situations from escalating. Everything turns into a blood bath.

Yeah Doorkickers-esque (or even Jagged Alliance Back in Action-esque!!!) pause and order system would be an interesting change. The planning mode is Doorkickers’ biggest nod to Rainbow 6, and the lack of it is Police Stories’ greatest nod to SWAT 4. But, while SWAT 4 had no pause-and-go, it did have somewhat intricate ways to chain commands in advance.

It truly, truly is.
I had dabbled with the iOS version of Horizon Chaze years ago, but couldn’t stand its controls. Gamepadding changes everything.

Control!

Probably CoH 2, and Victor Van Helsing:Final Cut.

It looks like Dominions will be on hold for a bit longer.

Oh, and Age of Wonders 3 if my turn comes around.

Iceborne! Weeee!

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne most of the time, I suppose. But also Control and perhaps Trials of Fire if I find the time.

Probably play some Control and of course more Apex Legends. What I need to play most is cleanup the damn house after Christmas and get my retro setup for Twitch going. We’ll see…

On Xbox One, going to attempt to play one of these from my backlog: Resident Evil 2 Remake, Red Dead Redemption 2, Monster Hunter World.

Maybe some more Sekiro.

On the Switch, started playing Hollow Knight and Dragon Quest XI so will play one of those, for sure.

I believe I have no other choice than to play Path of Exile, Dicey Dungeons and… maybe Transport Fever 2.

Was going to play Monster Hunter World: Iceborne but it’s running poorly for me so I’ll wait*. :(

Instead I’ll play some SaGa: Scarlet Grace - Ambitions. I have some children coming over so will likely have to watch them play Forza Horizon 4 for an afternoon.

And I might try learn Lacerda’s On Mars if I have the time and patience. :)

*edit: disabling the high res texture pack seems to fix performance for me so maybe I’ll play after all!