What have you played in the weekend?

Some spare time at last to get to grips with the DCS F-16.

… and, actually, as the Star Ruler 2 thread is alive again I have a huge hankering to go back to that too… something very satisfying about that game.

More Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, of course.

Yeah, I had the same feeling while playing through the first mission when it was released on PC. It’s kinda weird that it’s a much larger gap between Reach and Destiny than between Reach and Combat Evolved, considering the years between those games.

As for my weekend:

I’m trying to get Hull City to the Premier League in my first full season with them, after getting the job having taken a Vanarama National League club to League One. The board is satisfied with a top half finish, but I have bigger plans even though the financials are weak.

Wrapping up my first co-op run through:

…and casting about for something to play in single player. Maybe some Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, or perhaps I’ll give the Witcher 3 another shot.

How is Nine Parchments?

A lot of fun, though surprisingly challenging at times. It’s sort of Magicka with less elemental combo zaniness but no memorization and way more progression structure - unlockable characters, individual skill trees, tons of spells to learn and try etc. We’re really enjoying it, and plan to replay it with some new characters once we finish this first run-through.

sdv
Stardew Valley (Switch)

I went into this game blind and had no idea what the actual point of the game was going in. The main reason I picked it up is because of the nearly unanimously positive Steam reviews. Since this was recently 30% off on the Switch I picked it up there for $9.99.

I’ve put about one-year of in-game time so far and still have no idea how I win this thing. So far I’ve reached the bottom of the mines, upgraded all my tools to gold and it doesn’t feel like there’s anything left do to but max out Fishing, which is currently sitting at zero because fishing in video games is the worst task ever created, especially in this game, which it’s one of the worst implementations of fishing ever.

I’m enjoying my time with the game, but except for finishing up some collections for the town hall, there doesn’t seem to be much left to do but randomly generated side quests on the cork board in town.

I guess I could actually try farming, but way, way back in the spring I created 100 seed packs, planted them, woke up and found out they all died their first night in the ground… because summer wanted to send me a hearty fuck you. Who knew farming could be so complicated?

Anyway, I plan to keep chipping away at the game. In passing I saw that I could get a wife, and apparently there’s a guy named Alex out there somewhere that wants to insert his penis into me, so I have that to watch out for too.

Maybe if I please Gunther sufficiently he’ll give me some sort of key he’s been hiding. But I’ve hauled so much junk into his library I feel like an indentured servant as it is.

I really loved the magic system in Magicka. I’ll have to try this.

It is definitely NOT the same magic system, as a forewarning. You just select the spell you want to cast and fire it off, there’s no button combo shenanigans.

I am playing Kingdome Come:Deliverance. I am maybe 6 hours in and it hasn’t really grabbed me yet, although there is enough there to make me give it more time. The save system is kinda uncomfortable and I am crap trying to fight.

It’s a simulation-style game, so you’ll be total shit fighting until your character levels up some of their attributes / skills. As someone who felt really MEH about KCD at the point you were at, I was really glad I stuck with it, as it opens up and gets much better as you go.

Never mind Halo Reach, I have to finish Quantum Break first tonight.

Played Horizon Chase Turbo nonstop. I got it on PS4 for free some time ago, I tried it last week and wasn’t so hooked. It was so crazy fast, I bumped into the cars constantly. I did not understand what the coins are for or how to upgrade the cars, also who needs fuel?

After I played Virtua Racing on the Switch, it clicked and I felt the urge to go back to HCT, and now I love it. It just feels so good, there are longer courses where you actually need fuel to pickup. And for extra cars, you need to be 1st and collect all coins.

And the courses are very well designed. Wheater effects, night races … and I love it to repeat a course until I am 1st and all coins collected. And you can get into the game so fast, no overhead of a story or endless tuning in a garage etc… perfect game it is.

It’s pretty amazing but I don’t think I’m ever going to get first place on some of those tracks. I chalk it up to being 58 and the reflexes not being what they used to be.

sometimes it is better to be 3rd and go to the next races, mabe do an upgrade race and come back later with a better or upgraded car. Races which were really difficult, I could handle later pretty easy… the music is so good, too.

I’ve been playing Sundered, and it has its hand-drawn Lovecraftian procedurally generated Metroidvania hooks in me! I knew I would like the artwork, but I’m also surprisingly okay with the procedurally generated part–which I normally would eschew in a Metroidvania. It also likes to overwhelm you when you explore a little too far… and then make you feel amazing when you blaze through the same area later like a god of destruction. I think this game is really great, and seems to have not gotten enough attention. Hopefully you all grabbed it when it was free on the Epic store (I’d had it in my backlog for awhile).

I don’t think you ever “win” Stardew Valley. Man I love that game though. (If there is a “victory” condition I’ve never found it either. I don’t know if I’ve ever played past year 3 before feeling satisfied and putting it down for a while and then later starting over, but…yeah.)

I guess the “victory” condition is getting your grandpa’s full approval in the dawn of the third year and the “Statue of Perfection” that accompanies it. Of course, you can keep playing (and there’s plenty to see after that), and the reward for that “win condition” actually helps a lot in moving further in the “endgame”, so to speak.

Just finished this, it is SO good. That story engaged me. I cried.

Picked up the PC version of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey during the holidays and it has dominated my gaming time ever since. I played this at launch on the PS4 but it is nice to go back and play it again with the quality of life tweaks added in. Played through the main campaign again with Kassandra but planning on doing the expansions with Alexios through NG+.