What have you played in the weekend?

I did! It was much better then I expected, as evidence by the 70+ hours I spent in game. I posted a brief set of thoughts in the cyberpunk thread.

I’m playing hard space: shipbreakers now and as the challenge ramps up and I die I like it more and more.

Still hooked on Elden Ring!

Though I did play a few hours of Cyberpunk 2077. On the one hand, it’s not impressing me as much as Witcher 3 did. On the other, it’s a fun game. I think the shooting could have used some fine tuning (at least with a controller on Xbox), but the difficulty hasn’t been high enough that missing a few shots is getting me killed.

As the building internet fiber box had been vandalized, it was an interweb and online-DRM free weekend. This ruled out Xbox games, and a pause from my addiction to the dailies of Resident Evil Revelations 2 (yes, 2!).

I resumed Shadow Hearts, which just coped out of its impossible setting and err… revisionism and… well, that JRPG sure had balls setting up a Japanese annexion of Mandchuria and an attack on Shanghai before the first world war, so I’ll forgive them just bailing out and leaving it all there while switching back to Europe!

I’ve been moving forward a bit in Final Fantasy X, although the lack of documentation is quite bothering. It’s also uberJapanese, and I have a lot of problems with a lot of what is going on — although I also sense a small criticism sometimes, underneath the whole sacrificial spirit of the affair.

But my big gaming thing has been playing Fate/Stay Night on iOS. I had never bothered with Nasu Kinoko’s writes, especially since the whole anime/fighting game shebangs around the Type Moon works gave me a very bad feeling about the whole thing, but the game is actually quite interesting, with beautifully crafted Japanese prose — the author loves the language and it shows. It’s a pleasure to read, and hey, I love reading.
The prologue having taken 6 hours, I’m in for a looong journey, I am guessing.

Read the cyberpunk thread a bit. Once you properly lower expectations (it’s no Witcher 3) you may fine the game is ok or even good.

Been in a bit of a game interest drought recently. Tried Humankind…nah. Tried Aliens:Fireteam…nah.

Been playing Lost Ark but my interest is already starting to wane. I like the combat but , so much walking and talking and getting knocked out of fights to watch overly dramatic cutscenes. Re-installed Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn. Will start this weekend.

My secret weapon to fight game burn out was Dying Light 2. Have liked the beginning so far. My main criticisms are, wow this is brown. Also, I think I like post apocalyptic stuff that is taking place now as opposed to this happened 20 years ago.

I agree, especially since my “weekend” isn’t actually Saturday and Sunday.

You’re looking at probably a hundred hours for all three routes, especially if you go out of your way to see all forty of the BAD END/DEAD END sequences.

One of these days, I’m going to get around to replaying Fate/stay night. I own retail copies of the PC and PS2 versions, so I can properly install everything with the fan translation patch that also adds in the voiceovers from the PS2 version, but I haven’t managed to sit down with it again since originally playing it in 2009. Maybe someday!

As for what I’ve been playing: I’m participating in the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta, a charity event that’s raising money for Planned Parenthood this year. The short version: while you normally unlock a whole bunch of classes as you play through Final Fantasy V and can switch your party members to any unlocked class (“job”) whenever you want, the Four Job Fiesta is a challenge run where you only get access to a total of four classes across your party. I currently have Blue Mage, Berserker, and Ninja, and I’m coming up on unlocking my fourth job at the end of the next dungeon.

Agree with renaming the thread to “Hey Qt3, whatcha playin’?” or equivalent.

Anyway, for me it’s mostly been Elden Ring. I had taken a break a month or two ago (around level 70, in Altus Plateau), so I could savor it rather than risking burning out. The break worked perfectly, as it feels fresh again and I’m having a great time! Also things got way easier after I respecced to a strength build.

Also just finished up Radiant Historia, which I picked back up after a much longer hiatus. I had gotten about 10 hours in on 3DS when it first came out, but it fell by the wayside until I transferred the save to my phone. It reputation is well-deserved – a very pleasant throwback RPG of a type I’ve mostly drifted away from, but with enough novelty going on in terms of its story (time/causality stuff) and battle system (manipulation of position and turn order) to keep it engaging.

Is that the RPG with a big in-game sort of encyclopedia book menu, and features search for archeological sites around the world?
^ that game is one I meant to play for a dozen of years, but I have had two DS JRPGs with somewhat similar names mixed up.

Edit: After much delving, I found the game I was thinking about and been mixing Radiant Historia with: Nostalgeo no Kaze/Nostalgia. If only I knew where I put all my DS games!

I been riding around in Red Dead Redemption 2 on the xxXboXxx and flying a Huey over Guam on the PC, in VR, while rocking surfer dude music on 127.6 and the door gunners go ratatat! get some!

I fell in love with Eiyuden Chronicle this week. I finished the main story and then 100%-ed it within 7 days. It’s very much “baby’s first JRPG” which made it perfect for me. It was “fun” and kind of mindless—I could just play without stressing. A perfect Game Pass game!

Back into EDF 5 and Generation Zero. Gen Zero got a big update recently which among other things allows respeccing and removed the level cap.

I love EDF 5, and got addicted back to it a few weeks ago, but had to stop being of the pain to the trigger fingers!

Trying to play Squad, which I picked up in the Steam Summer Sale, but the servers that have sub-100 pings are usually full, or when I get a slot, the squad leader is afk standing in the motor pool while the rest of the squad is scattered over all creation. Sigh.

Final Fantasy XIV had a free login campaign, as well as recently adding local servers, which prompted me to sub for another month. And of course start a new character on a new world… :)

I was also playing some Phoenix Point, and Conquest of Elysium 5.

Need a palate cleanser from Elden Ring for a while (after getting to level 70, I’ll be back but just need a break).

Any suggestions?

Resident Evil Revelations 2.
less than a dollar for the episode 1 (which is plenty of content already) on Steam to know if it’s your thing. Funny monsters, great sound effects and gunplay, overall silliness! It’s good.

Played a bit of Cuphead with my kid, and a bit of Gordian Quest for myself yesterday. Will play some FF XIV today, probably.

As anyone who visited its thread knows, Enderal has been occupying my weekends including this one for the past month. 120 hours and still going strong and still not bored :)

Successfully ended the world. Interesting game, but still in early access.

Reminds me of That Which Sleeps.