What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

I have seen these and enjoyed them.

I have not seen these yet, will add to the list.

Die Hard, of course.

Oh wait, that’s Christmas.

As far as zombie movies go, I found this to be one of my favorites since 28 Days/Weeks Later.

The Wailing is also another great South Korean horror film. Some complained it was a bit slow and maybe too long, but if I am in the right mood, a slow burn is great.

Your whole list of unwatched titles is pretty solid. :)

Die Hard could be argued to be a horror movie for the terrorists.

And fwiw, I recommend both Malignant and The Empty Man, but I would not personally call the latter “campy but dumb fun”. IMO it is a movie that is incredibly atmospheric and creepy, sublime even. Malignant, on the other hand, is 100% campy and dumb in the best possible (maybe not intentional?) ways.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Freaky - Happy Death Day director does Freaky Friday

If only there were someplace to discuss that movie! Someplace where your three paragraphs of interesting comments would be likely to reach people who’ve seen the movie and would be more inclined to read and respond to what you wrote! Not to mention people who might see it in the future and who would also be interested in discussing it.

I guess it’s Twitter’s fault. People just blurt out their thoughts without any regard for whether or how those thoughts might fit into a larger context over time.

-Tom

P.S. Sorry if I sound like I’m haranguing you, @Matt_W. That wasn’t my intent. I just wanted to grumble about the general shift in how conversations happen.

Damnit! Sorry Tom, I confess I didn’t even look for a thread before posting that. Would you mind moving it there?

We would have gotten away with it too, if we weren’t in Tom’s living room!

I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m kvetching in any official capacity! I mean, honestly, this place is here for you guys to use as you see fit.

I’m just whinging partly out of personal preference, but also because I think it’s valuable to be able to revisit and revive conversations months later. It’s also valuable to present conversations in a way that makes it clear and welcoming to people who weren’t already present. And those things aren’t likely to happen in these catch-all threads, which are the equivalent of a Discord server where people just jump in to say desultory things that will all but vanish shortly after they’re said.

My feeling is that if you care enough about something to write more than a line or two about it, I want other people to be able to read your comments, at other times, and from other places on the forum, and to be able to respond without feeling like they’re interrupting whatever random other things have come up in a catch-all “what movie/book/song did you just see/read/hear?” thread.

But the bottom line is that it’s not my decision to make. I’m just here to grouse! :)

-Tom

If you put every obscure indie/foreign horror movie into it’s own thread, the thread is gonna get 3 or 4 responses and die, and I’m never going to see it. Most of the threads that get tons of traffic and discussion are superhero or Star Wars movies…the ones everyone is gonna end up seeing sooner or later. Meta-threads like this are excellent for discovering movies I might not otherwise pay attention to.

While I still recommend watching it, The Lighthouse is not really a horror movie. I believe that was why @tomchick didn’t care for it. It’s more of a surreal comedy.

And don’t tell anybody I said this, but Midsommar is also kind of a comedy.

I mean, only in the sort of very broad sense in which every movie is a comedy, because the human condition is so laughably bleak.

Train to Busan is the bomb, yo. The only ones I’ve seen on your list are that, Midsommar, and Babadook, which I remember being quite good and disturbingly creepy, but I don’t actually remember anything that happens in it.

I wish I could remember stuff I’ve seen so I could recommend things. Of course, I also don’t know what you’ve seen, you’ve probably seen most of the things I’ve seen!

yeah, that thread about Freaky…3 posts before Tom’s intervention, none after the movie came out. Saying conversations are happening or going to happen is, IMO, overselling it. If and when they do, I’m happy to see them in a dedicated thread. But I think catchall threads like this serve the valuable purpose of being somewhere to talk about one’s experience with something that isn’t already being actively discussed, and perhaps encourage folks to experience it for themselves. And then if we have things to say, make a thread.

Maybe you don’t mean that kind of comedy but I laughed at Hereditary despite knowing it wasn’t meant to be funny. Oops. I did not like Hereditary, but thought Midsommar was so much better.

@divedivedive I’ll try and pull a list of stuff together that my girlfriend and I have enjoyed in recent years. As others have said, that’s a solid list though!

I don’t think this counts as a horror movie, but every year I try to watch something Halloweeny with my girlfriend, and this year it’s gonna be Brotherhood of the Wolf, chosen by me primarily because I remember when it came out but I never saw it and because of its obvious visual influence on Bloodborne.

As for games, I made a thread where you can talk about that:

That’s the French werewolf kung fu movie, right? I actually saw that one in theaters way back in the day. It’s a lot of fun, and totally nuts.

It is!

Also, contra Tom I like this thread because although I don’t watch a lot of horror I find your guys’ descriptions of the absolutely metric ton of shitty horror movies you shovel into your eyeballs frequently way more entertaining than watching any garbage horror movie ever could be.

Mission accomplished!

Thinking about it. Catch-all threads really are kind of bad aren’t they?

There could be lots of interesting conversations buried deep inside, which are incredibly muddled between everything else, that could be in their own thread.

There could be. There almost never are. Vanishingly rarely are they conversations that would happen between people who’ve actually read or watched or played the thing being discussed, as would actually befit a dedicated thread.