What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

Yeah, we get no sense at all that they’re attached to Damien or any real time with him as an actual kid.

And that’s a baller setup for an artifact that ends up not mattering.

Right? Then by the third movie, you don’t even need all of them. You just need one to kill adult Damien. Lame!

It would have been a lot of fun if the film this could have been became real. I mean it makes for an interesting twist on The Bad Seed, for example. The last entry in the XX anthology actually tried something like this, but it was hampered IMO by it being a short (and it really only covers the last vestiges of the son’s life as a normal teen, where a fuller movie could do so much more), and by part of the plot being a bit muddled.

Hold up. I’m a United Statesian and I saw this shit in a movie theater. WTF. There is no way I hallucinated this.

Maybe some super-limited special screening? It was definitely a made-for-TV movie. It aired on Fox for the premiere. It’s on Hulu now.

I don’t remember much about the Omen movies to be honest, but I do recall the moment in I think it’s the second one? Where Damien finally clues in about who his father is and finds the ‘666’ tattooed on his scalp and freaks out. I think a fun movie could have been something where Damien resists his destiny, doesn’t want to be the architect of armageddon, but is unable to escape it. Something like Tucker and Dale vs Evil, where people around him keep dying in increasingly gruesome yet accidental ways as Damine keeps trying to save them and himself.

Everything I’ve googled says it was a TV movie with limited theatrical releases but mentions other countries for those releases.

I am officially protesting everything damnit.

It’s the second. And yes that’s right inline with what Telefrog has talked about several times now in various threads concerning the franchise. There’s a very good movie right there inside of Omen II, but it is never realized. I will always look fondly on the first three, none the less.

IV really is pure garbage though.

I watched There’s Something in the Barn, and I have no one to blame for that but myself.

I love it when you guys appreciate the local culture, like you did with Troll Hunter. I always loved trolls and thought they were a really cool part of our folklore, so it’s nice when they’re also appreciated abroad.

Another local legend that I’m less sure has international potential, is elves. That’s another pagan leftover that we all grow up knowing. Elves like to live in attics, preferably on a farm, or in a barn, and they are a type of trickster-monsters, which means that they can be both good or bad.

A bad elf might do terrible things, like kill your livestock or set a fire, while a good elf may bring you things, and provide good luck.

In order to keep them good, you have to keep leaving them offerings, usually food or alcohol. Kinda like a demon I guess. I’m pretty sure the church loves everything about this tradition.

(Fun fact: the Danish equivalent of saying “The dog did it” is “Det var nissen” which means “It was the elf”)

Anyway, this is a comedy movie that doesn’t really care to be a horror movie. There was some of the comedy stuff that was alright, there are a couple of decent jokes in this, but the horror is so half-assed and terrible that I don’t know that I’d recommend it to anyone.

Maybe as a movie to watch with friends, because it’s so dumb.

Worst of all, I feel like they completely fail to appreciate what might be scary about an elf. For one, elves are supernaturally elusive, people practically never see them, which could’ve been sort of frightening, but the movie doesn’t even think about using that.

These elves are all pint-sized gladiatorial psychos, even though they aren’t strong enough to beat anyone one-on-one, so it ends up being a pretty silly home invasion movie that plays to all the weaknesses an elf has, and none of the strengths.

There’s a Swedish Netflix series based on this idea. I haven’t yet watched it, but it’s on my to-watch list :slight_smile:

Oh god, that also looks kinda terrible.

I don’t know that the world actually needs an elf horror movie, but I think if someone is gonna make it, it should be an elf that is practically impossible to catch tormenting people, making traps and otherwise endangering whomever pissed it off - like a ninja/guerilla fighter.

I’m not read up on the lore at all, but they’re often depicted with animals, especially cats, which I think is a hint to their trickster nature, and because they’re small, they kinda have their own world, and I feel like that would be really fun to see in a movie.

Here’s an elf dancing with a cat, and getting into trouble with a dog:

Wrong thread, sorry

Soulmate (2016) viki. It got an Oscar nom.

Two girls meet in school and become instant friends. It is technically a romance but it’s really about their relationship as they grow up and go through life. It’s contemplative, but moves along. The dialogue is real and humanizing. I think it’s worth a watch.

It’s horror?

hmmm slice of life /romance in anime terms!

Wrong thread?

sdf3w43 @#!@#@!@#. Redirected.

Legiones - Someone over on Rock Paper Shotgun was talking about how they’d just seen When Evil Lurks and were blown away, so of course I agreed with them. Then they mentioned they’d been on an Argentinean horror kick lately and mentioned Legiones and a movie called History of the Occult. I have the latter in the wings, but this…was strange, honestly. It’s absolutely nowhere near as good as When Evil Lurks or Aterrados for that matter (although it features both brothers from When Evil Lurks as comic relief mental patients), but it was fun, occasionally spooky, and was steeped in a tradition of ritual magic I am really not familiar with. The basic idea is our main character is an elite shaman and exorcist type, from a sacred bloodline. A great evil he’s been hunting managed to steal his daughter’s Faith (it’s always capitalized in the subtitles) and he frightened her off - and got locked in a mental asylum - when he killed a possessed man who was attacking her. Now a woman sent by his teacher has come with news that this is a critical time and he needs to escape and heal his daughter or the evil will claim her forever. So you get some kind of slapsticky stuff around him recounting his backstory to his fellow patients (who are also planning a play based on his stories), and you get flashbacks to incidents of demonic possession as well as our shamanic protagonist unleashing some frankly kind of horrifying magic to effect his escape (using a ritual doll to force one of the guards to contort unnaturally and nearly catch fire, which is established later to have caused some real damage to the guy) and mind controlling his daughter’s entire office to leave so they can have a chat. And of course, a final confrontation with the evil being. Streaming on Tubi.

A Good Marriage (2014) - Based on a Stephen King story, this has Joan Allen playing a wife that stumbles across her husband’s secret stash of serial killer souvenirs while he’s out on a business trip. It’s quite the pickle! Will she go to the cops and turn him in, thus ruining her 25-year marriage, exposing her kids, and trashing her own life? Anthony LaPaglia as the murderous hubby has an alternate proposal: How about she just drops the matter and buries the discovery because he’s totally not gonna do it any longer. Just let it go and everything will be alright. They still love each other so why mess it all up?

It’s an intriguing idea but sadly Allen just does not have any chemistry with LaPaglia - good or bad. It’s hard to buy that they’ve got any feelings for one another at all, let alone been married for over two decades. The movie does a bad job presenting the emotional trial of the wife trying to figure out what to do since there aren’t any stakes in the marriage. The way the movie presents it, of course you’d go to the cops so when Allen doesn’t immediately beeline for the feds she comes off as an idiot.

Pass. It’s nice to see an older Joan Allen still working, but this movie just isn’t worth it.

Humane (2024) - in this far-fetched tale, the biosphere is collapsing, and the global response has been for all countries to voluntarily reduce their population by 20% in order to reduce our ecological footprint. In America this is framed as a “war” against collapse, with people “enlisting” in order to get the country to its 20% goal. The mother and father of a patrician family decide to enlist and gather their family for one last meal together, but things go a bit awry, and not everybody who initially volunteered to die actually dies. Still though, the private contractors hired to perform the enlistment need to meet their quota of two (2) bodies before they can be paid. So it’s up to the gathered family to produce the requisite two bodies, one way or another.

The movie reminded me a bit of You’re Next, in that you have family members uncovering various secrets and history while hunting each other through the family home, and then tables turning and the hunted becomes the hunter, etc. However unlike You’re Next, this movie never really decides what it wants to be, and sort of wishes and washes from one position to another. Is family member A the bad guy? What about family alliance B? Or is it the sub-contractors? or is capitalism the real villain? Or maybe humanity itself? Humane is not a bad movie; it’s watchable, there is some comedy, there’s some light satire, the actors are fine, the production values are fine, there’s some decent scenes of upper-middle class people trying to perform melee combat with each other. But it never really swings for the fences and definitively says “this is what the movie is, this is the story we’re trying to tell and the emotion we’re trying to create”. So, 7 out of 10.