What horror movie did you just watch? (Was it any good?)

Watched Kristy per a rec in this thread, because it has that appealing thing where the hunted becomes a badass. The uninspired moments and missed opportunities stood out to me more than the things that work. That said, if you’re new to the “hunted turns the tables” story, this is a decent intro. (Though I’d recommend the much stronger, more interesting You’re Next.)

There’s an opening opening title sequence with a bunch of scrambled ominous internet posts narrated by a sinister woman. They talk about killing girls, calling them “Kristys”, and it just goes on a little too long. This made me wary, and it turns out I was right to be; overall this movie does a little too much telling, and not enough showing. There’s a much better reveal of this info late in the film, where it’s both creepy to learn about and widens the scope in an interesting, scary way.

Our main character doesn’t have much of a character. What’s revealed through the course of the film just sorta happens, and doesn’t arise out of any themes or elements of her character that are established early. There’s a montage as our heroine is settling in to being alone on campus where she’s dancing around and celebrating being alone intercut with lots of bits of her just wandering around, lonely. It’s all set to peppy music, but it’s not telling a consistent story. She’s neither Playful Girl or Stoic Girl nor Slowly Becoming Less Playful Girl. We’re not even sure why, particularly, she’s staying behind.

Overall the movie does a lot of moments without really committing. There’s a “hiding among the library stacks” sequence, but it’s like, gestured at, not actually done. Lots of dark skulking through bookshelves with no geometry or physical relationship, so it’s just like them saying “hey, it’s this scene.” This scene ends with a sequence that I felt was emblematic of the missed character opportunities throughout:

Justine cornered on the roof. They approach, leering, as she begs “why are you doing this” and when it’s clear she’s about to get shanked she turns and jumps off the roof. There’s a great descending shot through the branches of the denuded winter trees and then she slams to the ground underneath. And then she picks herself up and limps away down a wooded path. And…that’s that moment. There’s no reflection amongst the killers that they’ve picked a particularly gutsy and determined prey, there’s no moment where she collects herself or goes “holy shit that worked?!” It’s just another moment.

There’s lots of competent but uninspired stuff throughout, with a few standout moments like the aforementioned stupid-but-tense pool dunk, and a shared moment between a dying killer and our heroine. The whole sequence with the maintenance man feels like stuff we’ve seen a million times before. It feels like a writer and director and team going through the motions, maybe a “my first horror” thing. I didn’t feel there was anything to recommend it, but I enjoyed thinking about how it could have been better!

Spoilery notes as I watched follow.

• Not much character early on. Who is this chick? Why is she staying?
  • Now 30 minutes in the thriller beats are getting layered in and they’re fine but unremarkable.
  • I wish I knew more of the geometry of the dorm. She’s wandering lots of hallways but I don’t know how they connect!
  • …Boy, that escalated quickly. Guards are dead, cultists are carving Ks into the wall
  • She’s already sort of cool. Doing something to escape, rather than just sneaking out.
  • Too many audio stingers! And too much SCORE. They oversell, and it shows a lack of confidence.
  • She’s gonna get help from maintenance guy who looks like thicker, adult Milo Ventimiglia! He’s high, though, and his apartment is a mess. He commits the cardinal sin of going outside, and she commits the cardinal sin of allowing him to.
  • Nooooo puppy nooooo
  • Some people walk by outside my window as the movie plays and I’m very suspicious of them.
  • I feel like this is pitched at a younger generation than mine. It’s full of music. Justine is running to the library now, and an alternative-sounding guitar riff plays. .
  • She just jumped off a freakin’ roof and the alt-guitar is back?! Go away!
  • Okay boyfriend showed up and now it’s all going to be – ha ha! no of course it won’t, but BOY did they not take their time getting rid of him. Only a tiny bit of guitar after his death, though.
  • First assailant is down. Not very satisfyingly staged dude-smashed-by-car death. But watching her get pissed feels good.
  • Weird sappy score after she shanks a dude in the pool.
  • “Ho ho ho, now I have an aluminum bat”
  • Shit, a weapon-customization mini-montage!
  • Damn killers, always on their cell phones when they should be killing.
  • Man, how else would we know this is scary without this score? I don’t normally think young women being hunted in the shower room is scary, especially when it’s so dark you can’t see anything, but the score helps me soooo much.
  • Yeah, we don’t need the opening sequence at all. The reveal of the cult on the killer’s phone is way better without it.
  • HELL YES PUT ON THAT MASK GIRL
  • Well. That ended fast. She uses Chekov’s exploding powder, which we saw in a montage at the beginning for about 3 seconds.
  • Hope she goes to the other cities and takes out the other cultists. …oh phooey, she went to the police and they did it.
  • I wish body count were lower. In fact, I wish the killers purposefully avoided killing anyone BUT her. That would be way more interesting.
  • “Justine is dead, my name is Kristy” is the final VO, but the only problem is (ha ha that’s not the only problem) we never knew who Justine was. She was never a person, she was just ‘the hunted one.’
  • I don’t know why this isn’t called “Stacy”, as it’s obvious the killers hate Staceys. (what about Chads?)

(can you tell I don’t have anyone else to talk to about this stuff?! Thanks for being out there, y’all!)

It really sucks not being able to go to the theater…but the pandemic has had the occasional upside. In this case, because it’s not safe to have a movie festival in person right now, the Alamo Drafthouse Fantastic Fest is happening online. Which means that I can actually get to see festival circuit movies without having to live in a city that has a major film festival (someplace in Texas for Fantastic Fest, I think). Tonight was the opening night, and my girlfriend and I got to enjoy a terrific little French werewolf (or as they say in France, loup-garou) movie called Teddy. Apparently the directors (brothers) had done one feature film before and were struggling with the script for a second when they decided it would be fun to do a horror film like they’d played around with making as kids. And that turned into Teddy. It’s a pretty classic werewolf arc, but it’s beautifully directed and shot and smartly steers clear of ever really showing us the monster close up (which, they admit, was partly budget preventing them from being able to do convincing creature FX, but they were also correctly of the opinion that the magic goes away when you see the creature full on). It’s also pretty funny and charming. The main character, Teddy is a bit of a loser, a kid who’s dropped out of school and lives with (I think?) a weirdo cousin and his nearly comatose aunt, someone who has several of the same metalhead T-shirt and several piercings and a problem with authority…but despite all that, he’s a sweet kid, in love and with dreams for the future we can tell are unrealistic even if he hadn’t gotten that fateful bite. There’s some great interactions with his cousin, the local police (who find him annoying but are mostly tolerant), his doctor, and his girlfriend. I was fond of when his cousin convinces him to report the attack and then earnestly informs the cops that it was a bogeyman, or his attempt to convince his cousin that his trip home naked was because he was robbed of his clothes in the parking lot.

As far as horror goes, it’s lighter on that for quite a while, but there are some pretty gnarly side effects of the infection (shaving his tongue, for example and the actor playing Teddy can look pretty menacing when the werewolf instincts take over. We don’t see the actual transformation, but the hints make it look real unpleasant. And the climactic sequence is nicely structured, I thought, and then there’s a surprisingly sad denouement.

I have no idea how y’all will get to see it, but keep an eye out.

Anyone seen any of these, and are any worth a watch as terribad movies? Only one I’ve seen is Jaws 4.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/worst-horror-movies/

I’ve seen a bunch of them and of the list I thought Fear Dot Com and Return of the Living Dead Part 2 were pretty good. I think the Martyrs that’s on that list must be the American remake, which I haven’t seen. The French original is an interesting big watch.

That reminds me to post about the other two Fantastic Fest horror movies I saw:
Queen of Black Magic - an Indonesian movie about three men and their families returning to a remote orphanage where they were raised in order to see the man who raised them one last time before he dies. Only, they have a secret, and the orphanage has more, and these are very much coming back to haunt them in the form of a vengeful witch. Nothing revolutionary, but it’s occasionally effectively creepy and who doesn’t love centipedes crawling in and out of people’s orifices? A lot of bugs and creepy crawlies of other sorts in this one, often in or on people (I think this is part of the mythology around black magic in Indonesia), plus some dead kids, a ghost or two, people mutilating themselves while under magical influence…it can get pretty gory sometimes.

Bloodthirsty - Canadian werewolf movie about a young singer staying in a remote mansion with a dubious older gentleman who used to be big in the music industry before he was tried for murdering his last protege (and acquitted) to produce her latest album. I think it might have made a stronger impression if it hadn’t come in the wake of Teddy, which was just a standout execution of the werewolf movie. Bloodthirsty shows too much of the unconvincing creature FX (though it seems to have had a higher budget, for what that’s worth) and the ending’s a bit abrupt and implausible. But it’s not bad, just kind of competent, with the album recording being a relatively unusual setup in a horror movie, and the music was decent.

I liked the Blumhouse Fantasy Island. It’s not really very horrory, but it’s entertaining. 8% fresh seems way overly harsh. Troll 2 is an absolute classic of terribad cinema.

Other than that, I kinda vaguely remember getting something out of Fear Dot Com, and can recommend the originals of Shutter, Jacob’s Ladder and One Missed Call, but I assume the remakes are on the list for a reason.

That’s me. I am the one who does not love this.

Oh my God. The only one on that list that I haven’t seen is the remake of Jacob’s Ladder.

So which are actually fun to watch?

A few are interesting, or at least have something to offer:

Darkness Falls - Emma Caufield before her full run on Buffy ended.
Friday the 13th: Jason Takes Manhattan - A perfect encapsulation of everything wrong with later Friday movies and a goofball late 80’s view of NYC.
An American Werewolf in Paris - Want to see full CG werewolves waaaay before CG was ready?
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - Super dumb, but has the always watchable Jeffrey Combs as the manager of a beach resort.
Dream House - They had Daniel Craig, Rachel, and Naomi Watts and still managed to make the most boring horror movie ever.
The Devil Inside - Bog standard possession movie, but the ending is bonkers. Like, you’ll never forget it.
Troll 2 - I mean, come on. It’s a classic of bad cinema.
Nothing But Trouble - It should be a classic of bad cinema, but it’s largely forgotten.
House of the Dead - Uwe Boll’s breakout hit.
FearDotCom - Weak bargain basement SAW, but there’s a couple of scenes that are inventive. Also, stay for the terrible Hollywood internet jargon.
Return of the Living Dead Part 2 - I’m not even sure how this got on the list. Yes, it’s largely a clumsy remake of the first one, but it’s got its own charms.
Jaws: The Revenge - It’s the infamous mortgage for Michael Caine’s house!

The bolded are what I’d consider “fun” in that so-bad-it’s-funny way.

Oh no.

Watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe and liked it quite a bit. It’s an interesting premise, mostly tightly delivered, and with a number of decently creepy moments (e.g. that song that keeps coming on the radio). And Brian Cox is always a favorite.

Intersect

Terribad Syfy channel grade ‘Lovecraft’ movie about “scientists” that make a time travel “gate”. I can’t overstate how bad this movie is. Every actor is unwatchable. One of the “doctor” scientists is literally a 20s something basic bro douche nozzle to the 10th degree. It’s simply unbelievable. And the melodrama is completely over the top. There’s only one cool scene in the very beginning where it shows some sort of non-euclidean geometry in space!

Ha ha, you watched Intersect.

-Tom

Yeah, don’t watch Intersect! I done goofed!

I watched Ready or Not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO5sW9-RauU

It was pretty terrible.

-Tom

Really channeling her inner Mr. Bean, there.

I watched In the Tall Grass and it bored me. Skip it. Watch The Ritual instead.

That’s the best you can do?

To people skipping In the Tall Grass, maybe go back and check out the director’s first movie. It kind of holds up, and it also clarifies a bit of what he was trying to do with In the Tall Grass. But, really, there’s only so much you can do with a Stephen King short story. And to people skipping The Ritual, check out that director’s short in V/H/S, which is one of my all-time favorite horror shorts, and as topical as ever.

-Tom