"What if Bush Wins?"

The Washington Monthly has a great feature with a bunch of articles from a number of different writers from all over the political map, speculating about a second Bush term:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2004/0409.bushforum.html

I didn’t have time to read them all but I think the Kevin Drum piece has a lot of validity, and the Grover Norquest piece, well I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry :).

Anyway, some interesting stuff there.

Dan

Laugh that he actually believes that shit, cry that he manages to convince so many other people to believe it as well.

David Greenberg is THE man.

I pity your politics.

In some sick part of my mind, I actually want Bush to win. That might bring us closer to some form of global apocalypse where we all suddenly have to live in an alternate reality where world war III has ravaged the earth due to catastrophic nuclear fallout.

I would want to play a mutant ranger named Harold after that.

hmmm.

I just want a tree growing out of my head.

What if he wins? Well, I ain’t gonna do much – I’ll be mildly depressed that I’ll be raising my daughter in a time of jingoistic patriotism, feverish warmongering, and Fundamentalist Christian nationalism, but what else can I do? Well, besides getting more active in local politics and try to keep as much of the conservative federal influence out of my community and state as I can, that is.

Nah, everyone already took down their American flags dude. They never forgot, they just moved on to the next fad.

If Bush wins the country and the world will be better off. We will continue on the road to economic recovery, we will fight terrorists on foreign soil intead of waiting for them to come HERE like Kerry wants, and Bush will put into place Supreme Court Justices who actually rule on constitutional law instead of liberal activist judges who legislate from the bench subverting the will of the people. So there is your answer.

Awesome! You should be on the Daily Show!

You mean the liberal activist judges that Reagan appointed?

Well, I guess liberal is relative.

Are you for real ?

No, he’s a troll. An obvious one at that. Ignore him.

I thought it was humorous parody, not trolling.

Sure, sure anyone who actually supports Bush in this forum is a troll. The question was asked and I answered it. Too bad you didn’t like the answer. I wasn’t specifically flamebaiting nor have I done so. I have so far merely pointed out that the opinions in this particular forum hardly paint a representative picture of the opinions of the country. The polls, which true do change regularly, back me up on this. Many of the poeple I know support Bush. They are not all rednecks, idots, trolls, and so forth. They come from all walks of life and from various socioeconomic backgrounds. I simply don’t see Kerry as such a better alternative. I have also brought a little DIVERSITY to a froum populated almost exclusively by Bush bashers. If that makes me a troll, well, then so be it. That being said 4 more years, 4 more years, 4 more years :)

I…don’t know what to say… “the world will be better off” ? How? Maybe you mean America will be better off. As far as I can see the world itself is no better off due to the actions of America under the current administration.

Personally I hope that Bush doesn’t win. Maybe Kerry isn’t the best choice for the next President but to me he’s a damn sight better than the current jackass you currently have.

How about ‘No More Years!’ as a chant instead.

Well I personally think the world is a better place with the Taliban removed from power and the women of Afghanistan NOT being treated like cattle. I believe the world is a better place with the Baath party removed from power and Saddam Hussein in prison where he belongs, his raping torturing sons dead, and the people of Iraq no longer having to worry that THEY will be the next body found in those mass graves (some 400,000 have already been found). I believe that the world is a better place with Lybia backing off its WMD program now that it HAS seen that the US is no paper tiger. Now if for SOME reason you think the world would be a better place with Saddam still in power, thousands more added to the 400,000 in mass graves, his sons roaming the streets at will raping and so forth, the Taliban and Al Queda still running terrorist training camps in Afghanistan, and Lybia defiant on its WMD program please explain. This is a global war on terror and fortunately we have a president thats commited to taking the fight to them. I would rather see our military fighting terrorist and FUTURE terrorists on the soil and in the REGION that spawns them than see them over here. Right now they are concentrated on taking us down OVER THERE and have little resources to bring the fight to us. This is way I would like to keep it.

Sorry.

Is this am example of the world getting better?

Or perhaps this?

Maybe you could consult the rest of the world about their position on Bush.

[quote=“Gideongamer”]

Well I personally think the world is a better place with the Taliban removed from power and the women of Afghanistan NOT being treated like cattle. I believe the world is a better place with the Baath party removed from power and Saddam Hussein in prison where he belongs, his raping torturing sons dead, and the people of Iraq no longer having to worry that THEY will be the next body found in those mass graves (some 400,000 have already been found). I believe that the world is a better place with Lybia backing off its WMD program now that it HAS seen that the US is no paper tiger. Now if for SOME reason you think the world would be a better place with Saddam still in power, thousands more added to the 400,000 in mass graves, his sons roaming the streets at will raping and so forth, the Taliban and Al Queda still running terrorist training camps in Afghanistan, and Lybia defiant on its WMD program please explain. This is a global war on terror and fortunately we have a president thats commited to taking the fight to them. I would rather see our military fighting terrorist and FUTURE terrorists on the soil and in the REGION that spawns them than see them over here. Right now they are concentrated on taking us down OVER THERE and have little resources to bring the fight to us. This is way I would like to keep it.[/quote]

I’d agree but that’s not an accurate description of reality. From what I’ve read, things in Afghanistan right now are actually worse than before we knocked over the Taliban. "Stable really authortarian government " is better than “mass anarchy,” believe it or not.

Unfortunately, Afghanistan is the last place you want to be a woman right now. Before, the women were treated like cattle, sure. Now they’re treated as target practice.