What if... Quarter to Three switched from vBulletin to Discourse?

Ditto. If I’m going to waste time surfing the net on my phone, the conversation on Qt3 is [usually] more informative and engaging than just browsing reddit. If I see something I wanna respond to at length, I just wait till I’m out of the restroom ;)

Phone nearly all the time. If I am at my desktop, I have better things to do, but with a 15 month old I can’t afford to be at my desktop.

Ooh you have young kids, wonders never end, just like a lot of people on here i suppose, i have 2 of my own, never had to resort to using my phone to post due to having them though, still why have kids if you cant use them as an excuse for something eh.

I blame my kids for this sarcastic reply really, you see he woke up at 2am, was sick all in his bed, his hair, pillows and on his cuddly toys I had to bathe him, couldnt get his bed dry and clean so he slept in mine then was sick again 90 mins later and I never got any sleep, damn kids such a pain in the arse, still at least I can still post from my laptop, makes all the difference for me though!

I read very frequently on my phone, post a little less frequently. I have the (older, I believe) Tapatalk that I use. If it’s a more lengthy reply, I’ll just wait till I’m at my desktop. I hate typing out longer messages on mobile since it takes forever and tends to lead to all sorts of autocorrect shenanigans. I’m 6’6" and have large hands, so fat-fingering leads to a lot more mistakes than I’d like!

Your response puzzles me. When I am home, I try to participate in my daughters life. So most of my typing is done on the phone while I am on break. When I have some free time at home because my wife and daughter are out, than I like to play games or occasional work on my thesis (which I am very unmotivated to complete). Its just the nature of my life. The phone is convenient enough, although not great.

Remember this controversial comment? ;)

They’re ticking up year on year, but OS X is half as active on your old site than Windows! :P

I found fun the part where younger programmers are more pro-Tabs and older programmers are more pro-Spaces. Is like when you are young, you find tabs a elegant solution to beatify your code, but then after colliding against many different people and they preferred text editors you get to love more spaces, because fuck humanity theres no way to agree on the character length of tabs.

To me OS/X is a house in the woods. I don’t like 90% of it, but it find it way better than what a Windows would give me, and better than what a Linux give me.

Older? Whitespace-aware languages are for masochists.

Huh. Maybe I am further in the minority than I had thought… Between having large hands and not the best eyesight, I rarely read much of anything on my phone and almost never type on it aside from text messages.

I think it would be interesting to see metrics on this. I’m like you – rarely read, almost never post from mobile.

That’s me as well. Rarely read on my phone (at least since Tapatalk jumped the shark), never post. Read and post on my tablet, occasionally. Mainly post on my main PC.

80-90% of my reading here is from my phone. I tend to avoid posting from the phone and do it on the desktop. But I don’t always have a choice, like now.

In that case, I tend to keep my answers short, avoid links and formatting.

But between work blocking non development sites, a long commute and wanting to know what’s happening on the board, the phone is usually my best bet when I’m on a break or traveling.

The mobile version of the site is quite decent and readable.

Wendelius

Actually, having checked, the mobile site is pretty decent on my iPhone 5. I don’t really know why I hadn’t checked it recently. I was spoiled by Tapatalk, I guess.

My work computer blocks Qt3 so I browse from my phone while at work. I try not to post because fuck virtual keyboards, but sometimes in a pinch…

As I recall, the mobile vBulletin site does not show you “subscribed threads” and has no ability to do so without dropping through to the desktop design.

Looks like many of the OS X programmer converts were coming from Linux, but I was surprised Windows did not dip year to year more than it did. I personally have never had a problem with Windows, hell I even liked Windows 8, but Windows not being Unix is increasingly a giant pain in my ass in so many scenarios. More and more every passing year.

(adding up the survey numbers, Windows was down 3.5% over last year, Mac was up 1.2%. Note also survey Q was “most used” which may differ from actual browser reported OSes of people accessing Stack Overflow, etc.)

But like smartphones, the trajectory of the graph is the whole story.

Sure, which one is growing faster than the others.

Sigh.

Isn’t it all kind of moot, when most of them are coding with java, javascript, PHP and python - high level cross-platform languages where the coding and run-time platform is irrelevant? You could probably add SQL in there as well, since it likely includes mySQL et al.

It is interesting the lead C# has over C++. What is weird is the complete absence of .NET in any responses.

But the reality is the preferences reflect what is leading the charge in modern application development for commercial and enterprise - cross-platform, web and mobile fronted applications, able to run anywhere, anytime.

Actually this is interesting with posts from users that use the site on their phones due to various reasons, we have this recent upswing in mobile veiwing use of websites, so everyone is redesigning stuff for that, but from a number of people here they say they use the mobile to view the site for convenience, but don’t post on mobile, or try to avoid it. So is this mobile trend simply going to reduce meaningful content eventually? rather than enhance it, it sort of shifts the focus maybe away from contribution to pure consumption?