What is the best HBO show ever?

Tales from the Crypt?

I picked SFU if only for the series finale. As soon as I finished the series I cursed and had to buy the tomb set ASAP.

Larry Sanders, no question. Six Feet Under was great, but it didn’t have Rip Torn.

Same here. Maybe I only think The Wire is the best because I’m still really new to the series, so it’s all fresh. HBO’s got such a great track record here that it’s tough to make a call.

And I really need to snag the Larry Sanders DVDs at some point. Damn I miss that show.

The real shame is that they can’t do season box sets of Larry Sanders because of music clearance issues. The first season is available and a new best-of DVD that just came out, but that looks to be all we’ll get.

HBO also charges way too much for their box sets, which annoys the hell out of me.

Wow… HBO has really produced some great stuff over the years. It’s amazing when you see it in a list like that.

I voted for Six Feet Under.

No kidding. The 24-disc SFU box set (while gorgeous in presentation) is wayyyyy too expensive. It’s like CAD$250. If you break it down on a per disc basis, I guess it’s not that bad, but it’s still a chunk of change to lay down in one swoop.

Another vote for 6 Feet Under.

I haven’t had HBO since the 80’s so I’ll have to vote for either Beastmaster or Treasure of the Four Crowns.

Larry Sanders gave me the most entertainment consistently. Just saw Garry Shandling on an HBO salute to Jerry Seinfeld. I remembered how wonderfully dry his wit was and that I missed it.

I’d say Carnivàle, although obviously the second/third season abortion makes the ‘best’ label kind of questionable. The writing, acting, artistic, direction and production quality was absolutely superb and totally original, compared to everything else I’ve seen on that channel before and since, for that general type of show.

Larry Sanders was excellent but I’ve been put off Garry Shandling since seeing him in the Ricky Gervais Meets … trainwreck of an interview.

The Pacific War is the follow-up project to Band of Brothers. It’s still in development. Sounds like it’s shifted a bit. It was going to focus on a USO troupe, but now I’ve heard it focuses on the 1st Marine Division, “The Old Breed.”

Fraggle Rock deserves props.

Crossing my fingers for ASOIAF. If HBO pulls it off, GREATEST TELEVISION SERIES EVER.

I voted for Deadwood, as it was my personal favorite. However, the final episode of Six Feet Under is my pick for Best Final Episode Ever.

Oh Thank God. I had thought and always believed that focusing on a USO troupe while trying to cover the Pacific War is one of the dumbest ideas I’d ever heard of.

Crossing my fingers for ASOIAF. If HBO pulls it off, GREATEST TELEVISION SERIES EVER.

I’m hoping John Adams is also quite good.

— Alan

Last I heard the BOB Pacific thing was being released early 2008. My favorite comedy is Curb, but the dramas are too many to choose. Wire, Sopranoes, Deadwood. I love all three of them equally with Rome being close.

Carnivàle, which I still mourn. So many unanswered questions, and the second season was so very obviously rushed in order to at least answer a few before the end came. It was unique, though. Nothing else like it has ever been made.

A very, very close second is Six Feet Under, which I came to late, but I honestly feel made me change my life for the better. How many televisions shows can you say that about?

Personally, two: Batman: The Animated Series, and Arrested Development.

Band of Brothers, if it counts. Otherwise, ‘The Wire’ sight unseen, purely because Charlie Brooker says it is the best TV evar (or he would, if he spoke contemporary 'net post-)

The Wire is possibly the greatest TV show of all time, let alone HBO show.

The Wire, without question.