What is the Palestinian Legislative Counsel?

Having read this (link), I went to wikipedia for a quick look, but wikipedia is often a joke.

Is this guy really the speaker of the main legislative body of the Palestinian Authority?

Joke or not…I like the cut of this man’s jib.

“Oh Allah, vanquish the Jews and their supporters. Oh Allah, count their numbers, and kill them all, down to the very last one. Oh Allah, show them a day of darkness. Oh Allah, who sent down His Book, the mover of the clouds, who defeated the enemies of the Prophet, defeat the Jews and the Americans, and bring us victory over them.”

Who’s this Allah fellah? He must have lasers for eyes, sniper rifles for arms. vorpal swords for kneecaps and an abacus for a brain.

I do not think it is a joke, though I am serious about wondering what level of government/authority (if any) this guy represents.

Are people actually surprised?

I mean, I stopped being surprised that the Palestinian governing bodies wanted to kill the Jews back when I first started getting educated into the global conspiracy.

Well, it depends on what context you mean. Surprised by the fact that some nutball somewhere is ranting against Jews and Americans, no. Surprised that the Speaker of a government is openly calling for the slaughter of all Jews and Americans, yes.

Again, that’s why I’m wondering if I really am correctly understanding his position and the body he works with. Often things have grand sounding names, when in reality it is just some non-profit organization or some other similar entity.

I thought jew-killing was more of a founding principle, more concept than real goal.
Sort of like freedom and the pursuit of happiness is here (in the good ole USofA)

Nah, for the Palestinians it’s gone from principle to end-all/goal. See, they’re so close to the oozing evil that Israel represents that what can they do but cleanse?

Unless the oozing evil is a poison, a priest would do just as well. And if it’s a curse, cleanse won’t help…you’re gonna need a mage or a druid.

I was hoping to make a Lord Black joke, but google tells me that fat bastard sold the JP in 2004. So I’m reduced to pointing out that there are probably not a lot of Jerusalem Post reporters hanging out at the “Friday sermon at a Sudan mosque.” So my question is who the hell are Middle East Media Research Institute and how do they know what the dude said in a mosque in BFE Sudan?

MEMRI is famous for starting message board flame wars.

From what I can gather they are an organization dedicated to finding anti-isreali or anti-semitic articles/speeches in arabic and translating them into english and hebrew.

I don’t think they make anything up, but they have often been accused of being very selective. E.g. Juan Cole: "On more than one occasion I have seen, say, a bigotted Arabic article translated by MEMRI and when I went to the source on the Web, found that it was on the same op-ed page with other, moderate articles arguing for tolerance. These latter were not translated. ".

Paging Tim Partlett!

What’s the thinking behind your post though?

If we had the Speaker of the House call for the destruction of Israel and genocide of the Jews in the name of God, would it be OK if a different member of Congress said “well, let’s not go THAT far”?

Ultimately, you still have the Speaker of the House calling for the destruction of Israel.

MEMRI is biased. That doesn’t make the Arab media any less wildly rabidly anti-Semitic. Arab news outlets don’t translate the mouth-frothing stuff into English either, but their bias is OK, I suppose, whereas MEMRI’s bias is bad because… I dunno, they’re Zionist (that’s OK to call people that, right?)

In any event the PLC (which is the legislature for the Palestinian Authority) is currently run by Hamas, which has as its charter the destruction of Israel. So taking that to its logical extreme (destroying Israel via killing Jews) isn’t terribly surprising. To try to work up some empathy (which is difficult for me since arguably after killing all the Jews they’ll work up to killing all the video game designers somwhere on the Jihadi Master Control List, I suspect), one could say that thanks to decades of oppression by the Man, who in that part of the world wears the Star of David on their jackbooted riot gear, throwing out red meat like that sermon to the faithful is a way of keepin’ it real, y0.

But yes, that’s one reason why the spectre of “Hamas negotiating with Israel” is risibly humorous. Of course, as others have mentioned when MEMRI quotes are brought up, we shouldn’t actually listen to what Hamas says. It’s not like they, you know, mean it.

No doubt, I don’t think MEMRI’s bias really comes into this particular issue, I was just answering the question (I think) Ed was asking from my perspective.

wellll, lets be fair, he’s asking Allah to kill jews and americans.
I’ve been asking Jesus for years and years now to kill Sarah Vowell, so far nothing.

My mistake, I lost context.

Yep, because as a monolithic entity, “the Palestinians” are born with a desire for nothing but to purge Jews from the Earth.

Surprise, surprise, occupied and subjugated terroritory votes for complete extremists, because no one else is even trying to get them out of their situation.

The more Isreal tightens the screws, the nastier their opponents will get. Like every other goddamn occupation in human history. Saving the “butcher them all like Stalin” exemption.

You say this like there’s some obvious historical precedent. Do you have data on how occupied and subjected territories usually vote?

Usually they ‘vote’ 100.00% for the occupying power.