What is there still left to look forward to on the Xbox?

Hi,

Which games will come out for the Xbox that we can be expected to be any good? I have the following on my radar (release dates are from ToTheGame):

Bad Day L.A. Q1 2006
BLACK 22-Feb-2006
Bully TBA
City of the Dead Q2 2006
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers Q1 2006
Hitman: Blood Money TBA
Painkiller: Hell Wars 24-Jan-2006
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones 01-Dec-2005
Scarface: The World is Yours Q1 2006
StarCraft: Ghost Q2 2006
The Godfather Q1 2006
The Last Job N/A
The Movies TBA
Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell 4 Q1 2006
UFO: Aftershock TBA

Did I miss a must-have game?

Bye,
Steven

EBgames “coming soon” for XBox

Not a lot.

As I said when Microsoft claimed they would continue supporting the original box, you can expect a bunch of jack and shit now that 360 has shipped. You just don’t support your old systems with new development once the new one is out there. It takes too long to make games now to allow that.

Expect 3rd party ports and that’s about it.

–Dave

Which is silly, because publishers would be well rewarded by continuing to support the xbox, for at least a year. Huge user base that people tend to ignore.

I know that, you know that, yet despite EA saying that they left millions of dollars on the table at the end of the life of PSX, they were recently talking about the transition and saying the same dumb stuff as last time and looking like they’d make the same mistake all over again.

I think this shortage and the fact that Xbox is only 4 years old as of this month along with the lack of upcoming Xbox 1 games is going to really nail MS to the wall for handling the transition extremely poorly. They’re too early to market with 360, too quick to abandon the original Xbox and they can’t even get people to upgrade because they have NO STOCK IN STORES.

It’s absolutely one of the most incredibly well-bungled console transitions I’ve ever seen. If you’re not ready to provide machines, then you delay the launch.

–Dave

But other than that, you’ve got no complaints, right, Dave?

I don’t know since they won’t let me buy their frigging console.

–Dave

I’m rather interested in The Godfather, although for all I know it may be crap. Any news on that one lately?

The retro James Bond game was sounding interesting, but the reviews make it sound pretty “meh.” I’ll still get it eventually, but I’ll wait now till it drops in price further (I could pick it up this weekend at Fry’s for 30, but I don’t feel like driving 20 miles for the privilege).

That’s also on Xbox 360, though.

I think that we can expect EA to keep porting stuff over to the Xbox… they’re going to have to make current-generation builds for PS2, Gamecube and PSP so why not Xbox? Offer a 360 version for those who have it, and an Xbox one for those who don’t. They seem to be doing this so far.

Come now. Do you so quickly forget sega? SegaCD, 32x, Saturn…

Come now. Do you so quickly forget sega? SegaCD, 32x, Saturn…[/quote]

Two of those aren’t even consoles, Charles. The third one failed mainly because Sega designed it primarily to be the ultimate 2d machine, and then crapped their pants and added 3d support when it became apparent that 3d was what people were going to want; in other words, factors related to the design of the unit itself, not the way Sega handled the launch.

Perhaps not standalone consoles, but still hardware required to play different games. shrug

But Dave’s entire point is that MS is doing the worst possible job of transitioning from the XBox to the X360. Sega didn’t have any of those problems with the Sega CD or the 32x, because they weren’t replacing the Genesis, so there was no transition at all.

What? EA was probably one of the publishers that benefitted the most from the last transition. They continued to provide their sports games for the tired old PS for quite some time, and raked it in.

What? EA was probably one of the publishers that benefitted the most from the last transition. They continued to provide their sports games for the tired old PS for quite some time, and raked it in.[/quote]

They only recently stopped, see Madden NFL 2005 (PSone): http://psx.ign.com/objects/688/688482.html

As good as Blizzard is, I find it incredibly difficult to understand their releasing a game - and a supposedly very good and expensive one at that - solely on the original Xbox. They’ve got to be planning a PC or 360 port or something, or maybe they’re planning it for a PS3 launch title.

Well I didn’t think I’d be buying any more Xbox 1 titles even though I don’t have a 360 yet. But today I found myself buying the Capcom Classics Collection because it was only $20 and it has stuff like Street Fighter II, Commando, Final Fight, Ghosts’n’Goblins, 1942 and Bionic Commando on it.

Fuck the 360! Etc.

What? EA was probably one of the publishers that benefitted the most from the last transition. They continued to provide their sports games for the tired old PS for quite some time, and raked it in.[/quote]

Do I need to go dig out the quotes? I think it was Probst that said they made a mistake by not selling more PSX games.

–Dave

[ while you are at it, try to find a quote where someone from MS said Conker was not the last first party game. ]

• Dreamfall Q2 2006.

Eh, I don’t think there’s any issue with the transition. The hardcore Xboxers either have a 360 or are getting one for the holidays, or early next year with holiday money.

The non-hardcore are in the same position I’m in… very happy with a nice library of used games to choose from, in my case the Cube. Latest 2 purchases were Wave Race: Blue Storm for $10 and Timesplitters 2 for $13.