What is there still left to look forward to on the Xbox?

I think it’s going to take a while for the XBox hardcore to transition. Ultimately many people (myself included) are probably going to wait until the first price drop before grabbing one. (I’m figuring around PS3 launch time, aren’t you?)

Things will be okay for the old machine as long as 3rd parties are releasing titles to both the XBox and the PS2. If they don’t, and there ends up being the traditional software drought for the 360, things could get pretty dire and Dreamcasty for MS, at least for a while.

It’s pretty clear that MS is planning on burning a lot of money to turn the XBox into a continuing series of marketing events that will (hopefully) transition into actual increased market share by 2007.

Dreamfall will be published by Microsoft in 2006 on the original Xbox? I’ll believe that when I see it.

–Dave

okay, here’s something you should understand.

As I said when Microsoft claimed they would continue supporting the original box

Allard: We’re not doing Xbox 1 games anymore. We’re done. Done. Conker is the last one, which is in manufacturing. All our attention is on Xbox 360. There are still going to be a lot of Xbox games [being made by publishers].

Which games will come out for the Xbox that we can be expected to be any good? I have the following on my radar (release dates are from ToTheGame):

• Dreamfall Q2 2006

Does that mean they’ve also stopped manufacturing the consoles, too? Or do they keep making them for a while? I don’t even know what the official pricepoint is right now. Does the X360 launch drive that down further?

Just wondering what happenst to the actual hardware now. It seems unlikely, given what’s inside the box, that any kind of slimmed-down PSOne style unit will emerge.

MS abandons it ASAFP, as MS does with any product that is not currently supported. One of the reasons they pushed out the X360 as fast as they did was to end the Xbox bleeding and move on to a platform that might actually make some money. I heard they aren’t taiking any new chip shipments from Nvidia, and that what’s in the channel is about it for the old Xbox.

Do you work for Funcom or something? Because I’m just not sure a sequel to The Longest Journey is going to be on many people’s radar on the Xbox. If they’re counting on big sales or something, they’re going to be sorely disappointed.

–Dave

It’s amazing how quickly the perception of a system deteriorates once the next-gen equivalent becomes available. Until recently I was happily playing Halo 2 and SSX On Tour on my XB1 and feeling perfectly good about it. I had pretty much stopped buying new games because I knew the X360 was coming, but it was still my primary living-room gaming console.

Now that the X360 is out, my XB1 just feels like a piece of junk. Yes, even though I don’t have an X360 yet. My XB1 has already been relegated to my bedroom for ancilliary gaming goodness and to make room under the big-screen living-room megagamingcenter for the X360.

I am the kind of consumer companies like Microsoft just LOVE.

In the end, it’s all perception, isn’t it–the “creation of needs.”

Not I said the fly. I just bought a new HDTV and everything yet no XBox 360 (and no crazy urge to bring one home yet). I just ordered X-men Legends 1 (Xbox) for 12 bucks on Gamefly. It’s supposed to have 720p which will be my first high def game i own. w00t.

I’m looking to pick up an HD-AV cable for the original Xbox because I somehow managed to lose my S-Video one, plus I now have a Dell 2405 monitor that can accept component video. I was hoping that the launch of the X360 would signal a price drop for all old Xbox accessories and hardware. Unfortunataly, I was wrong. Those cables are just as expensive today as the day they came out.

Does this seem off to anyone else? I mean, they’re not even forwards compatible with the X360, so they’ve got a very limited lifespan. I doubt there’s much of a market for these, but hey, I could be wrong. Maybe there’s all kinds of people clamouring to bump their Xboxes up to component now that the 360 is here!

You can always buy a 3rd party cable. You don’t need the official ones. I think I got mine for $25. It was this one:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Psyclone-Component-Video-Analog-Audio-Cable-PYX20-/sem/rpsm/oid/124078/catOid/-13247/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The official one is $20 but you need a component cable on top of it so it would end up being probably $40.

– Xaroc

I just ran into this myself. Since I plan on keeping my Xbox hooked up for a while ( for me, backward compatibility is useless without game save transfer in most cases), I wanted to replace my failing Logitech wireless controller. I also wanted the original Gigantor version, rather than the smaller Precision version because the buttons on the latter aren’t responsive enough for me.

I still had to drop $70 on it. However, considering I hadn’t been able to find the original version anywhere for several months, I was just happy to find it all. I wouldn’t have minded a price cut, though.

Mark downs probably won’t happen until there are enough 360s in the retail channels to ensure that people won’t have to “settle” for an Xbox for Christmas.

You can always buy a 3rd party cable. You don’t need the official ones. I think I got mine for $25. It was this one:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Psyclone-Component-Video-Analog-Audio-Cable-PYX20-/sem/rpsm/oid/124078/catOid/-13247/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The official one is $20 but you need a component cable on top of it so it would end up being probably $40.

– Xaroc[/quote]
I got the Mad Catz one which has connections for both Xbox and PS2 and was only $14.99.

Xaroc, what do you mean, you need to add a component cable to the official Xbox one? I looked at that cable the other day and everything you need is there in the package.

I did a quick eBay search, and all the non-official component cables available there seemed to lack the optical audio cable jack that the official MS one has. Or do these knock-offs have one of those, too?

I can be patient. Either I’ll get a nicely discounted component cable for my original Xbox, or I’ll get a 360 with one in the box. Either way, I’m willing to wait it out and play something else instead.

Except for a optical audio cable. You have to buy one of those yourself.

Or do these knock-offs have one of those, too?

I have not seen one that does. Thats a major drawback IMHO.

The Monster component adapter has the optical audio out.

That’s what I’m using, since the MS packs were out of stock everywhere when I bought my Xbox last year.

Gotta finish Psychonauts so I can sell this thing… :)