What is up next for Telltale games?

Some do a sign-in for cloud saves or something if I recall. I am not sure if they will still work without that but I will be reinstalling all of them soon to make sure.

A number of Telltale games were delisted from Steam today:

Hey I own all those!

Not that I’ll ever get to them, mind you. But still. I could if I wanted to.

Such are the perils of IP licensed titles in the digital age, I suppose. Even when you bought Telltale console discs, I think they were often just downloaders and installers, no?

You can still download them if you own them though? You just can’t buy them if you don’t already have them, or ?

You just won’t be able to buy them. If you have them in your account, you’ll be able to download and play them in the future.

Looks like the remaining TT games still for sale on digital stores will be gone by Monday the 27th.

Ack, hard place. There are some games I’ve been thinking about…

Did they leave the remote servers up required for cloud sync?

Doop de doo.

It is super bullshit that they’re apparently not even supporting future downloads of the game by owners. I hope that gets walked back.

Well, that is a problem. MS and Steam should not have sold a game (including in MS’s case allowing retail disc sales of an unfinished series with the promise of downloading the complete version) without securing future access for customers. Any retailer selling those discs as new games after June 25 is arguably engaged in fraud.

This makes no sense. I guess I could see how if you bought the game directly from Telltale’s website that you might lose access to the game, since that website is probably going away if it hasn’t already. But if you bought from MS, PSN or Steam those games should still be downloadable. Unless there’s some legal reason that they have to be yanked, in which case I’m looking for a refund.

As best I can tell, Microsoft feels that “supporting” a game includes it being downloadable, and they don’t want to support it in the absence of the developer.

We can’t even redownload them from Steam?

Well, there’s nothing in the announcement specific to Steam. It’s a blanket announcement which mentions systems and the article is an interpretation of it;
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/important-minecraft--story-mode-information

Today, we have some important information to share for all players of Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series, Season 1 and 2 , on behalf of its publisher. As you might have heard, its publisher is no longer in business, which unfortunately means that Minecraft: Story Mode will no longer be supported. If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June . Here’s the full message:

“On behalf of the publisher, Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series, Season 1 and 2 will no longer be supported on June 25th, 2019. If you have purchased these seasons, please download all remaining episodes prior to the service being discontinued in June."

So if you own either season of Minecraft: Story Mode on Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Android, or iOS, you have until June 25th, 2019 to download the episodes. We’d recommend checking you have all the episodes downloaded!

(emphasis theirs)

As it includes both Windows and MacOS in the cluster of systems, it sure reads like they’re planning on yanking it from Steam’s database. That strikes me as rather @#$%ed up, but such is the life of someone buying licenses instead of games, I suppose.

edit - that said, this reads as an interpretation of an interpretation, so it could be suffering from “Telephone Game”-itus.

GOG confirmed on their forums that the game would be available to those who purchased it so it is extremely likely that it is not being yanked from the database.

Due to expiring licensing rights, Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Game Series, Minecraft Story Mode - Adventure Pass and Minecraft: Story Mode - Season Two will be delisted from our catalog on Friday, May 3, 10am UTC.

For everyone who purchased it prior to delisting, the game will remain in their GOG library.

I thought that this would be unprecedented for Steam, but I notice that HAWKEN is totally gone, which is a damned shame. My library’s large enough that a few have probably disappeared without my even noticing; I had to check that I to verify whether I actually own Minecraft: Story Mode. I dislike the idea of my purchases being retroactively disabled in any case. I expect that Accursed Farms may have something to say about this.

Great news to see

I just used the Steam backup function to export my Minecraft Story mode.