What is up next for Telltale games?

Only if they keep the original sound.

More Wallace and Gromit!

Bumping this thread because House of Mojo is speculating Telltale will annouce something at GDC which starts today.

Incidentally, today is the first day of GDC, and while there are still a number of upcoming conventions for epic reveals to be spaced out across, I would expect a pretty big announcement or two to be coming our way this week. The only variable when it comes to the LeChuck’s Revenge special edition is the “when?” and Telltale still has to launch their The Devil’s Playhouse pre-orders and maybe announce the mysterious new series they’ve been tantalizing about for a year now.

And there’s plenty of other possible announcements for both companies to make. Handsome Halibut? More back catalogue re-releases? Those crazy Telltale iPhone rumors? Be sure to keep up with us throughout the week (with your malware software running, ideally) as we keep you on top of all the madness.

Small bump again. So we know there next big things were the pilot program starting with Puzzle Agent and iPad publishing.

At at House of mojo, they linked to this interview with Dan Conners: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704545/Telltale-Games-Explains-Why-Theyre-Bringing-TV-Style-Pilots-To-Games.html

One interesting quote:

One thing we might do…there’s a lot of talk around here about lawyering types of games and taking advantage of our tools to do that

Lawyering types of game? Law and Order or Phoenix Wright?

God I can’t wait for Puzzle Agent!

I was very impressed with the first episode of Sam & Max Season 3. They’ve bumped up the overall quality and it felt, to me, more “Sam & Max”-ish than the previous seasons, if only because Max finally becomes a useful character. I only hope they slow down on all the recycling… it’s not that I haven’t enjoyed the games they’ve been putting out, despite their shortcomings*, but I thought the constant re-use of character models in Tales of Monkey Island was a bit too obvious.

* The only exception was Wallace and Gromit: Fright of the Bumblebees. That was awful and made me not want try the rest of the series.

Weird, W&G is the only Telltale thing I’ve liked so far.

I agree with your impressions of the first episode of Sam & Max S3, Royal Fool. I was very anxious for this game after the brilliant Season 2 and, if this first episode is any indication, the new season might be even better. I kinda liked the Wallace and Gromit games, though they weren’t on the same level as other Telltale series imo.

ARISE!

Up next? Telltale CEO Kevin Bruner is stepping down.

Email to Telltale employees:

[quote]
“Today I am writing to let you know that I’ll be stepping away from my position as CEO of Telltale. We’ve grown aggressively since Telltale’s inception, and now Telltale is bigger than I ever dreamed it would be. There are many possible futures for Telltale, and all of them are exciting and uniquely challenging. The time has come to pass the reins to someone that can better drive Telltale to the next level and realize all the potential that is here.”[/quote]

Telltale co-founder Dan Connors will take over operations as CEO. Bruner will remain on the board.

Apparently there has been a press release announcing a season two for both Batman and The Wolf Among Us, as well as a final season of The Walking Dead. Rest In Peace, Clementine.

Odd given a tweet earlier this week asking folks to “not get their hopes up” for a follow up to Wolf Among Us (which was itself odd, given that ended on a bit of a cliff hanger, iirc). I’m glad it’s coming back, it was my favorite of the Telltale games (… that I played).

From Eurogamer:

“We have been asked over and over again for some insight into the mystery at the end of the finale for TWAU. Something I’ve always wanted to admit is that while we do have a clear answer to who was who at the end of that story… we had also agreed to keep it a mystery for the fans to ponder on their own,” Telltale’s Job Stauffer wrote. "Definitely fun to see all of the theories pour out, and exciting to pay off our neon-noir story with a femme fatale twist.

“Should we ever continue in the world of Fables and The Wolf Among Us… it is generally agreed upon here that we wouldn’t continue that storyline directly, and would leave things an open mystery that’s better left unanswered…”

So this new one will not resolve the mystery you’re talking about. (I haven’t played the game beyond the demo, so I have no idea what any of this means beyond what’s in the quote).

It’s funny, I played The Wolf Among Us and I thought it was ok, but nothing all that special. I am not invested in the lore, I just liked playing a kind of traditional gumshoe, even in a no traditional fairy tale world. Really liked Batman though, I will definitely pony up for season two. Haven’t played the last season of Walking Dead yet though I plan to get to it.

Batman was the only Telltale I’ve managed to finish because it was just that good. Honestly.

(I think dive^3 and I have similar tastes in games, am starting to realize)

Oh yeah? Wonder how similar - did you ever post your top 100 games in that thread?

I don’t think so. But I know we didn’t hate Andromeda like the rest of the masses, and we both are Telltale Batman pushers. :)

Edit: I’ll look for that thread and see if I can manage it.

I’m generally simpatico with divedivedive too, including on Mass Effect Andromeda.

Speaking of your list, you should update it. I noticed you still have Witcher 2 in there, but no Witcher 3. Oh wait, you haven’t finished that yet, nevermind. Your list is interesting in that I love the games on there that I’ve played (except Ocarina of Time), but more than half your list is games I haven’t played. Which is a shame. Especially for the older games. Starflight, for example, was probably amazing back in the day. Star Control 2 just happened to be the first game of that type that I’d played, so it blew my mind. I’m sure Starflight would have done the same to me if that had been the first. But it’s probably not worth going back now, given the nature of games and moving technology targets.

Yeah, I should give it another look, see if time has changed any of my rankings. And one of these days I will finish Witcher 3, but honestly Witcher 2 is going to be tough to beat. Which I have done three times!

I just posted my list, complete with The Witcher 3 in it, even though it corrupted my save file at 55+ hours and I have to start over someday and I need professional help.

I still have to finish:
Game of Thrones (I am on the final chapter)
Walking Dead Michone
Walking Dead A New Frontier
Batman - Telltale Series
Tales from the Borderlands
Puzzle Agent 1 and 2

So they can take their time releasing new stuff. :)