What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

It works much better than on Shiren Wii. The companion AI mostly just follows your lead, and you don’t have to worry about them using consumables. And of course, the real meat of the game is in the bonus dungeons after completing the main story, and most of them you’re solo.

I just picked up the new Shiren last week. It was on a PSN sale for $15 so I had to bite, particularly because I was waiting on delivery of a new PlaystationTV to play it on. I loved Shiren DS and look forward to digging into it.

To add a little more Rogue-like discussion. I’ve been hooked on Leap of Fate for a month or so now. It really scratches the itch for me. I love the quick game play and ability to level up and branch out a new character quickly. I know it goes against hardcore rogue game design but I like unlockables and persistent upgrades. I’ve got 3 of the 4 characters unlocked and while I probably won’t finish it or anything since I suck so badly, I’ve definitely enjoyed the ride.

Before that I played the hell our of Rogue Legacy for a few months. I had a lot of fun with it but after the 2nd boss I kind of felt like I had seen it all and haven’t had much desire to go back. I still played a ridiculous amount of time and had a ball getting there.

Now I just need to renew my PS Plus so I can give Spelunky and Binding of Isaac Rebirth a go. They seem to be the type of Rogue like/lite I’m hooked on lately. I’ve played and enjoyed BoI original but I’ve been wanting to give it a go with the controller. It seems a perfect fit for it.

Did you ever try Forced Showdown? I tried Leap briefly on iOS but didn’t like it. Haven’t played Forced Showdown, but something about it looks a lot more fun to me.

I absolutely love Forced Showdown. It’s a great melding of twinstick, cards, and roguelike all wrapped in a SmashTV style tv show wrapper. I played Leap as well, and in many ways it is similar to Forced Showdown, but it pales in almost any way I could compare them.

I’ve been revisiting Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup lately. If pressed I’d call it my favorite. Caves of Qud was a great thing to see and that caught my fancy fairly recently and I do enjoy the puzzles and metagame of Desktop Dungeons quite a bit.

Those are my current Roguelikes

Tom Mc

What about Hand of Fate? I heard the combat was pretty meh. Did it improve? I notice it is on sale on steam.

I didn’t enjoy Hand of Fate after the first few hours. It became quickly clear to me the game was of a masochistic kind, based on anti-progression. If I am to be a good dog, I want to be petted sometimes, not systematically kicked.

What do you mean anti-progression? It’s one of the easiest roguelites out there and even then, you can still progress a little bit within the cards.

The last mission, though, it’s a toughie…

Agreed. I love how the cards unlock and the player decides which encounters and items to include in the decks. The combat is the most difficult (and weakest) part of the game (much easier with a controller, though). But, by rogue-whatever standards, it’s fairly forgiving.

Hand of Fate 2 will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

Well I understand this game gets a lot of love, but here it just kept on adding frustrating mechanics upon frustrating enemies and - you may put that on my sucking at games - the feeling I was winning only because I had the luck of drawing the cards in the right order was not rewarding.

This is the way I felt as well.

My reigning all-time favorite is Hoplite and a recent favorite is Crowntakers. I enjoy roguelikes on my phone…
This post has a few good ones on mobile.

Crowntakers, now that’s a difficult one. I got crushed all the time on normal difficulty, but it is pretty good, although I didn’t play for very long. It’s like Asterix, the roguelite TRPG.

Get the guy with the crossbow, he’s the best.

Hand of Fate is also one of my favorites, but I can’t really compare the two directly. HoF is much slower overall, and combat was more like a stripped down Batman style. I enjoyed the combat once you have a shield, and despised it before.

There was a time where all I played for a few months was those two games though. HoF and FS.

May give hand of fate a go, since it’s on sale. I like the look of it in many ways, it just always seemed that the combat was lacking, which is a big part of the game.

I have crowntakers on iOS. Didn’t find it very appealing, but I bounce off lots of things.

Navigating the combat with a keyboard and mouse is very difficult, so I hope you have a controller (and, honestly, who doesn’t nowadays!?). :-)

Yeah, I have an xb1 controller. Looking to get a steam controller next time there’s a sale.

I did pick up Hand of Fate the other day. Only had a chance to play a couple of rounds but I really liked it. The way the cards work, events unlocking other events/rewards/obstacles is very cool. And the presentation is very slick.

FYI, forced showdown is on sale.

/ http://store.steampowered.com/app/265000/FORCED_SHOWDOWN/

@Harkonis how is the drone DLC?

dlc is good, well worth it imo. I also like how the game integrates with Twitch. Both this and thier Clash Royale clone are integrated in ways that affect gameplay and it’s kind of neat imo.

If all my games were taken away from me except HoF and FSD I would probably get by just fine honestly. Both are fun and have good replayability.

If anybody is bored, here’s a web based roguelike to check out. I can’t do in at the moment. You’ll have to put in a bit of work to run it.