What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Brogue is very, very different from Rogue. It’s a great game! Just different. I don’t think “a pure Rogue” is how anyone would describe it. It’s definitely a roguelike, though!

Fuck man half my gaming time the last year has been in playing hoary abandonware I grabbed off GoG. I never play more than $5 a game but at that price, much fun to be had.

Meanwhile, another Ultima Ratio Regum status update:

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2020/10/18/urr-finale-update-x/

I just love this guy’s bugfix items.

• Fixed a freeze bug with clerks and diplomats in embassies sometimes having nothing to do and getting stuck in a loop trying to find something to do.
  • Fixed yet another issue with monastery placement being extremely peculiar.
  • Fixed another issue with docks potentially spawning in towns in locations which are impossible to access, i.e. out in the water without any land connecting them to the town itself.
  • Resolved a freeze bug in world generation with monasteries sometimes being unable to generate an appropriate name, because there are already too many names with that particular archetype generated in the world.
  • Towns no longer (I think?) sometimes bafflingly generate with gigantic blocks of stone on their borders.
  • Resolved an issue in world generation with religions sometimes not correctly propagating.

Trolls are the things I remember fearing the most. I hated those things.

I have been hooked on these videos (online con from this month so fresh!). Anyways figured some of you may enjoy them. Oh they are definitely in no particular order. So I would browse around.

The TOME Necomancer update is now live on the main branch.

My minions, I am happy and proud to give you Tales of Maj’Eyal 1.7.0 !
Now I promised a Necromancer rewrite some time ago, and it is now finally here! Rejoice for they are now more complete, fun and deadly than ever! (disclaimer: yes this means you’ll also get murdered by necromancer NPCs ;) )
But that is not all obviously, this new update brings many new things, including 3 new class evolutions! Ok one of them is Lich being turned into one, but it’s still much reworked!

Older save games are not compatible.

• Full and total rewrite of the Necromancer class, no point in a list of “changes” as 95% of it is new or deeply altered :)
  • Lich is now a race evolution for Necromancers, with its own (obviously awesome) racial talent tree
  • New class evolution for Archmages: High Thaumaturgist, that focuses on using and enhancing beam spells
  • New class evolution for Sun Paladin: Fallen! Thanks to Recaiden!
  • Add language localization support, with simplified and traditional chinese as the first supported languages
  • Enabled “WASD” movement (with an option to turn it off, and keybinds anyway). The big difference to normal movement is that it responds to key release and can combine directions. So you can do diagonal movement with just 4 keys by pressing two at the same time. Keeping them pressed also works

And a ton of other changes and fixes.

Have anyone tried DungeonMans?

This is one my first turn-based roguelikes I played in a long time. Just finished everything in it including all the achievements and I want to recommend it to anyone new to the genre.

The game isn’t easy on the eyes but the flavour and humour of the game is great.The only thing I really didn’t like was the controls and interface. They borderline on unusable sometimes.

I have quite a few hours into it. I never finished it. I have a fairly large graveyard too. Basically i would go along just fine, then in some dungeon I would open some door and some uber boss wipe the floor with me. Occasionally it seemed like there was nothing you could do about it, ie: the boss would stun you or maybe do massive damage with ranged attacks and you could simply not get away.

Yeah, played it a bit, lost interest, forgot about it. But I remember liking what I played.

Here’s a nice set of free dungeon assets that could be useful to anybody dinking around with making a rogue like.

Just got this one one Steam :

I remember hearing about it a long time ago on Vita, which I don’t have, but apparently it has been ported to PC for some time now. Considering the title, I thought there would be a restaurant/shop sim element like Recettear, but there isn’t anything like that. There’s a cooking aspect, but it’s barely worth mentionning.

It’s a decent entry-level Mystery Dungeon roguelike. It’s cute and really not that hard. Expect some brain-melting “wacky” anime banter, though.

It’s pretty much a steal at 80% off right now.

Should be good enough until Shiren shows up on PC in… 3 days! (☉_☉)

i remember those vita days, and a lot of talk about the bizarre preorder bonuses for this game including a branded bib, which I presume is for the curry.

This is pretty awesome. I might try a Necromancer again. I tried one before as a Skeleton but didn’t get very far.

My best run was a Arch Mage…got all the way to the last boss and died. Second best was the Cursed melee class. I died fighting my clone in the Eastern lands. That asshole.

There’s a fairly new, free roguelike out there called Zorbus that I wanted to make folks aware of. It’s a lot of fun and it’s extremely polished with a ton of QoL features. I’d never heard of it until now and I’m glad I discovered it. Website and download here: http://www.zorbus.net/

As described by the developer

Zorbus is a traditional, fantasy-themed, graphical, turn-based roguelike game. Your goal is to delve deep into a dungeon, find a portal to a mythical place called the Zorbus where a mere mortal can ascend to demigodhood.

The goal is to create a tight, streamlined dungeon crawling experience where the dungeon feels alive. Thematically Zorbus draws influence from the late 70s and early 80s tabletop AD&D campaigns and adventures.

The rule system for the game is slightly influenced by the d20-system used in the 3rd edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Zorbus has experience levels but no character classes (race and gender is selected). On each level-up, you point-buy skills and talents. Talents are mostly combat abilities and spells.

By design, Zorbus does NOT have a hunger mechanic, item identification, crafting, autoexplore, an overworld map or quests.

Thematically Zorbus draws influence from the late 70s and early 80s tabletop D&D campaigns, adventures and lore.

The game tries to create a dungeon which feels alive, eventful and rich in content. Something more than just empty rooms and corridors. Diversely shaped levels with themed content (throne rooms, prisons, hidden treasure caches, etc.) with good connectivity between the areas.

The dungeon denizens act intelligently, fight each other, flee when threatened and try to gather their friends to overcome a threat. Most creatures can use items and can also pick them up from the dungeon floor. Creatures are not silent either, but comment on things with speech bubbles.

I messed around with it last night and it’s very cool. It comes with it’s own tileset that has a variety of sizes to choose from (I went with the 64x64 size). You can also scale the UI which is really nice. It has some basic animations and particle effects as well as something like 2500 sound effects. There’s dynamic lighting and light sources as well. It really does make the dungeon feel alive.

You can recruit companions. In my second game as a magic user I found a female elf ranger that was willing to join me and when I died horribly later, she fought on and promised to avenge me. Alas, for me it was still game over. In my latest game I’m doing better. I pumped my starting magic skills and talents enough to pick a starting spell that raises the dead permanently to fight for you. I have two skellies now that I’ve equipped with leather armor and spears I found during play. Hopefully, I can make it to the second level this time.

The game comes with a big, thorough PDF manual in the main directory and has nice in-game help. There’s also a gameplay book and a tips and tricks book on the floor in the starting room for you to pick up and read. If your character can even read that is. I recommend you give them enough skill to be able to read stuff because there’s a lot you’ll miss if you can’t read.

Wow this looks great, thanks for the tip!

Checking it out, thanks!

After playing it for several days now, Zorbus is even better than I’d dared hope. Unlike any other traditional roguelike I’ve played, the dungeon really does seem to come alive around you. It has unfolding complexity buried within a seemingly simple beginning. Hats off off the developer because this is a really slick game. I’d have to rate it as one of the top roguelikes out there right now.

Thanks for sharing! I definitely intend to give it a shot sometime soon!

Thanks for mentioning Zorbus. I have a very faint recollection of hearing the name before though I have never tried it. Now seems like a great time since I have been hankering to get back into a traditional roguelike…was going to do TOME but will try this first.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate was just released on Steam. $17.99

Also on the Nintendo store: