What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

I live to be of service to the Qt3 community.

I love both games, in fact… if there were some way to create a sort of hybrid, Another Unreal World, that would be awesome… I would say it’d be impossible but Spelunky has impressed me so much I’ve started thinking all kind of amazing hybrids ought to be achievable…

I even mentioned Kroz earlier. It was really not roguelike at all, though. Wasn’t it a real-time game, where enemies moved at speed and you had to have good reflexes?

Yeah. It was apparently a riff on Rogue, to try and take the randomness away and turn it into more of a skill game.

Dwarf Fortress for me!

Ya know, I started with Nethack (with tiles) and then tried all the fancier versions, with all the extra cool stuff. But for me, nothing has ever quite captured the elegance of NH, the combination of simplicity and suprising depth. I find that when I move away from NH, I feel like I might as well go all the way to a full blown RPG like Witcher.

I prefer a good rougelike.

I also enjoy DoomRL

Been playing Stone Soup a ton and man, I still suck, but it is a blast.

You are electrocuted.

You die…

23 pts.

Fucking Jellies!!! Back to Google for a DungeonCrawl FAQ.

I’ve always been partial to Moria, it strikes a balance of being big enough to be interesting, but easy enough that I don’t feel I have to resort to spoilers. Of course, I still haven’t made it past, say about level 20, so maybe I should just stick to success-is-only-a-grind-away JRPGs. Actually, the coffeebreak roguelikes are probably what I’m really looking for. I play the Mystery Dungeon series if I want graphics.

I think part of my problem is that I have an obsession with playing rangers, which I don’t think is a top tier class for any roguelike.

I do have to say though that Erikson Zangband’s thread is tempting me to give it a whirl.

I’ve been playing Stone Soup and Angband. After playing roguelikes for a month straight now I have trouble playing anything else, other than SF4. They are very addicting and mostly ruin modern RPGs for me.

I’m almost glad I didn’t have the patience for these things as a teenager. I feel like I just discovered this giant backlog of amazing games that are all free and have crazy replay values. This is a good thing as I decided last year that I’m spending a shit ton less on games in 09.

Excellent point,except for me it would have been “I’m almost glad I didn’t have the patience for these things in my twenties”.

[Stupid young people ;P]

Hey now, I’m not as young as you might think. I just ignored games for most of the late 90’s due to other interests (sex, drugs, and rock & roll baby). I’m no where near Jeff Green old (love ya), but technically I could have been playing these things in my tweenies as well, given the access.

Well, no one is THAT old.

So anyway, the Jellies, how do I kill those bastards before they split into a hundred pieces, rot all of my gear, and kill me in my underwear as I am sifting through my pack to find something to put on that will not corrode?

I have stuck to range characters. I’ve found that straight melee is very hard in Stone Soup. Without some type of range, corrosion and runners make things very difficult. If you do want to melee, start practicing either throwing or whatever the bow skill is asap.

I’m not that great myself yet. My highest score so far is 1081 with a Spriggan Stalker.

Yeah, I almost always start flinging darts as soon as I grab some. It seems like when I played last year there was a specific counter to the jellies and I am too lazy to go find it, but if you lot will not do my work for me…

I was happy to get 742 last night. My high last year was 2,000 or so. I think I play it like an insanely hard-headed bull. I vary things only slightly, charge in, and expect different results. The thing is, that is still fun and so I never take the time to really look at what I need to be doing. I resolve to change this approach tonight.

And it never fails that the first scrolls I pick up are curse weapon scrolls. The game is out to get me.

Have you tried SLASH’EM? It is like Nethack plus its expansion. I’ve played both and I think SLASH’EM is an excellent improvement. (although Nethack is a great game by itself)

Well hell, I guess I need to switch from darts to stones and a sling.

A Jelly is especially dangerous to your equipment due to its acid attacks, frequently corroding equipment that is equipped. Amulet of resist corrosion is recommended. To minimize your exposure to its acid, it is benifical to cause as much damage to it at range as possible.
Jelly eats items from floor. Eating cures it and when it gets feed enough it may multiply. Most ranged weapons are weak for doing ranged damage to jelly because it will eat the missiles and heal in the process. Jelly does not eat rocks and sling bullets therefore it may be killed with slings or by throwing rocks. Ranged weaponsand missiles of frost or flame leave also nothing edible for jelly.

Also, geez. Gearhead (or did that come up and I missed it). It’s a rogue like with sci fi trappings. And mechs.