What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Oh, also, one of the reviewers on the Steam page recommended this fellow.

Soooo I got Vagante, and I kinda love it. Saw a video of it and couldn’t resist. I think pixely roguelike platformers might be my new kryptonite.

Imagine yourself as the center of the universe.

Now imagine every square inch of the entire universe is filled with kryptonite.

This is your new reality.

Thanks for the resources Brian, I’ll give them a review and try again!

Cataclysm has added a minimap covering the whole view range (lower right).

The lighting also seems less broken inside buildings now. Of course if you go “back” to shitty graphic tilesets you miss effects like the actual lighting (if they didn’t code that feature too, but I don’t think it’s the case and it wouldn’t be so trivial to add).

And if the big sandbox is too overwhelming there’s always the Defense mode for some quick fun shooting zombies. Just make a character, buy weapons, and then the game spawns waves of enemies at you.

It seems there’s a new firing system, with the various options like aiming and steadying from recoil listed on the right panel:

The lighting seems to work there. The areas directly in front of the windows are lit, more distant areas are greyed out. This never worked properly before…

Nethack just updated.
http://www.nethack.org/v360/release.html

I just knew that was Jesus rooting around in my trashcan.

Cataclysm is now available for iOS. Free, although it offers an enhanced sound pack as IAP.

I’m sure this has already been covered in this thread, but my memory is weak and I’m too lazy to deep search for it, but check out thegroundgivesway.com for what appears to be an excellent brogue-like coffeebreak roguelike. That is, it plays quickly, and focuses on building your character via the items you find rather than picking a class/gaining levels.

While it doesn’t have the raw “beauty” of Brogue, I find the interface absolutely fantastic. I have a rough time getting “into” roguelikes even though I know I should like them. This one has captured me instantly.

On a completely different topic - someone has (finally!) revived the OldRPG tileset for TOME. While it isn’t loved by everyone, I adore it - the default TOME tileset doesn’t click for me, but putting the retro 8/16bit theme over it makes all the difference in the world. Use it, love it, and rate it highly so it doesn’t drop off the face of the earth for years again.

… classic ToME

Okay, yes, retro but not ASCII :)

Man, that brings back memories…

In answer to the thread title, my current fave is Catacomb Kids. Still in EA, not updated as often as I would like, but totally addictive for me. To the point where I started recording my runs, something I’ve never done before with any game.

Here’s today’s Poet and Wanderer runs.

I would say that Invisible Inc. is my current all-time favorite roguelike, but after beating it 3 times, it’s CK that I keep coming back to now, every day. And I have yet to get past the 4th level of the catacombs!

Jason I think a solar flare ate the rest of your post. I’m looking forward to Catacomb kids. Though I worry that the combat will feel too weightless in terms of weapon swinging/connecting. I can’t get a feel for that from your videos.

I too adore Catacomb Kids, great choice. Brutally hard but hilarious in all the ways you can die.

Whoops, edited to finish my thought.

I wouldn’t say the combat is weightless, but I’m not sure what to use as a reference point. It’s very simulation-y, in that physics play a part, and weapon length has a noticeable effect. Heavier weapons and gear reduce your Speed stat, which reduces your overall movement and action speed. At higher character levels, you can specialize and learn different weapon moves, but I haven’t survived long enough to play around with them much.

I keep thinking about grabbing that, but then I see all the platformeriness and I change my mind. It’s still on my wishlist, but so is everything else.

FWIW, I am generally not a fan of platformers at all, and was never able to get into Spelunky despite repeated efforts.

Thanks to Tom’s list of games nobody is playing, I discovered Bedlam. Boy, howdy is it a great game.

Nice game! Similar to the Swordless Knight on Google Play