What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

One nice thing about the Curse of Yendor and its accessibility for bad rogue players such as myself is that when you spot an enemy’s vulnerability, it spells it for you. Doesn’t prevent me from dying on the 3rd floor on my most successful runs, but still.

Since I can’t post screenshots and brag on Steam because only the Windows version is there for now, here is my highscoring run from 2 days ago.

Unexplored anyone?

Was mentioned in the indie games thread. Haven’t picked it up yet, but looks really neat, especially for a real-time system.

Just did a run of Unexplored. It’s crazy, yet kind of awesome.

I have only played two games of Unexplored but my initial response is very positive.

While I admire the innovative level generation, I find the controller support a bit awkward (although I gather this aspect is still a work in progress.

And now for something completely different, any of you catch this freaky release today?

WizRogue

It’s a premium PC conversion of a F2P Japanese mobile game which is a “roguelike”-itization of the ancient game of Wizardry (are you still following me here?).

I saw that pop up today. Looks neat.

Also, Unexplored is way better with mouse and keyboard.

Yeah, it’s pretty clear that’s the only way to really play, especially when dealing with your inventory.

Back to WizRogue, the devs swear they’ve de-"pay to win"ed it as there is no way to buy additional currency, but at the same time, it still has that typical F2P vibe where it feels like it’s trying to steer you toward purchasing some premium currency.

Actually I hated mouse and WASD for unexplored. The Controller is a lot better but still wonky button layout.

Hearing it’s always online, and that can cause some issues reading the reviews.

Looks like Loot Rascals is releasing. Anyone been playing?

You KNOW I had to jump all over it.

Pros:
-Quirky fun style!
-Super innovative “Hot Loot” system (some cards you’ll earn you’re told are the stolen property of some other real life player and you need to decide whether to send it back to the other player or keep them).

Cons:
-You can’t save your game.

Get in on the FREE weekend NOW!

Just to be clear, you’re only able to play it, the full game, free this weekend, then, unless you pay, it becomes disabled.

Possibly the coolest action roguelike EVAR with twisted character classes such as Bartender, Gorilla, and even Comedian,

It’s pretty solid. Not sure I’d put it as best in the genre, but it’s worth the money.

Thanks for letting me know about the free weekend @LordGek, going to give it a go now.

I’m loving it. Had the most fun so far as a doctor who won’t use weapons but can knock people out from behind.

I must be missing something, because I don’t understand what is really the point of the game, or what makes the mechanics interesting.
From my hour spent with it, it felt like Gauntlet against random more or less hapless targets, but devoid of most of the action. I get you can fiddle with some stuff around (in a very determined manner, like most games drawing inspiration from Deus Ex tend to do), but that felt random, thanks to no help and very little feedback, and not very deep.
I found the graphics and soundtrack quite appalling too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I love how the game lets you choose your own way to complete each mission’s objectives. Do you rush in guns blazing or poison the air vent so you can sneak in during the chaos?

I wish I had found guns! So far, my most potent weapon must have been… a knife?
Poisoning the air vent has been my main way of nuisance.
I guess I don’t really understand the setting either. It looks like an underground fortress? I really just don’t understand the game, it seems XD