What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Agreed. I love how the cards unlock and the player decides which encounters and items to include in the decks. The combat is the most difficult (and weakest) part of the game (much easier with a controller, though). But, by rogue-whatever standards, it’s fairly forgiving.

Hand of Fate 2 will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

Well I understand this game gets a lot of love, but here it just kept on adding frustrating mechanics upon frustrating enemies and - you may put that on my sucking at games - the feeling I was winning only because I had the luck of drawing the cards in the right order was not rewarding.

This is the way I felt as well.

My reigning all-time favorite is Hoplite and a recent favorite is Crowntakers. I enjoy roguelikes on my phone…
This post has a few good ones on mobile.

Crowntakers, now that’s a difficult one. I got crushed all the time on normal difficulty, but it is pretty good, although I didn’t play for very long. It’s like Asterix, the roguelite TRPG.

Get the guy with the crossbow, he’s the best.

Hand of Fate is also one of my favorites, but I can’t really compare the two directly. HoF is much slower overall, and combat was more like a stripped down Batman style. I enjoyed the combat once you have a shield, and despised it before.

There was a time where all I played for a few months was those two games though. HoF and FS.

May give hand of fate a go, since it’s on sale. I like the look of it in many ways, it just always seemed that the combat was lacking, which is a big part of the game.

I have crowntakers on iOS. Didn’t find it very appealing, but I bounce off lots of things.

Navigating the combat with a keyboard and mouse is very difficult, so I hope you have a controller (and, honestly, who doesn’t nowadays!?). :-)

Yeah, I have an xb1 controller. Looking to get a steam controller next time there’s a sale.

I did pick up Hand of Fate the other day. Only had a chance to play a couple of rounds but I really liked it. The way the cards work, events unlocking other events/rewards/obstacles is very cool. And the presentation is very slick.

FYI, forced showdown is on sale.

/ http://store.steampowered.com/app/265000/FORCED_SHOWDOWN/

@Harkonis how is the drone DLC?

dlc is good, well worth it imo. I also like how the game integrates with Twitch. Both this and thier Clash Royale clone are integrated in ways that affect gameplay and it’s kind of neat imo.

If all my games were taken away from me except HoF and FSD I would probably get by just fine honestly. Both are fun and have good replayability.

If anybody is bored, here’s a web based roguelike to check out. I can’t do in at the moment. You’ll have to put in a bit of work to run it.

Been playing the recent iOS release of Rogue Wizards (also on steam) and having a blast. The story mode doesn’t have permadeath, but I think there’s a different mode that does. Turn-based, with great loot variety, and some pretty cool monster types. The iOS version is free, with a $5 gem doubler the developer says makes the economy comparable to the PC version. What I like about this is the tactical options you have at your disposal, in terms of spells and such. There are some fun area effect abilities that can turn the tide of a fight, but you can’t use them indiscriminately, because components to cast the spells are limited. It’s more rogue-lite than roguelike, but might appeal to some.

Thanks for mentioning this, downloading on my phone right now.

Nice find. Playing on my phone, and so far works well. I like the graphics and the UI seems easy enough so far. Seems it should be a perfect iPad game.

Anyone tried this?

@Mysterio @LordGek

Tons of people (like… two, at least!) are showing as having purchased this today in my activity feed. What is going on?!

It’s cheap enough that I might bite. Not sure, though. Gotta buy Tokyo 42 and the GG Xrd Rev2 Upgrade today and budget is limited. :)

Just started in on it, pretty cute. Has a bit of a Card Hunters vibe to it without the cards.

Even though you can only play 1 character at a time, there is a bit of a team management aspect as if any character falls in a dungeon run you can use your remaining uncaptured heroes to rescue them. So when going on runs, beyond simply clearing the given 1 level dungeon’s objective, you’ll be scouting out good gear for your teammates back home.

Something that feels a bit cheesy but makes sense, I guess, since you can’t expect your first level mage to take on the third level dungeon you just reached with the warrior, is that you can repeat each dungeon endlessly. So there will likely be a lot of grinding repeating each dungeon with each of the 8 classes to have them all roughly equivalently leveled.

Do the ones at the tavern not gain XP at all? The visuals look great, but I could see that being annoying,