What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

I actually agree with you - and there is an option in the menu you can change around to allow for regular, RPG like save anywhere, which to me doesn’t diminish the game’s cool factor (far from it) but rather turns it into a Fallout-like kind of game with a fucking TON more content than Fallout. It’s amazing, and the only reason I’m not playing it right now is after playing to level 12 or so with an awesome character, I want to see where the game goes from here for a few more months and then I’ll dive back in. I think it has an actual end-release date now, which helps me hold off (sometime in 2018, I think?).

I was hunting around for this option and it was hidden in the debug category. Let me turn this on and we’ll see if it works. The amount of content in this game is just amazing, so much so that I’d think it’s a waste that this game is rogue-like where I bet probably 80% of the content was not played because people died so early in the game.

Edit: need to also Disable Permadeath in the Debug option.

My favorite roguelikes have a system where you advance the game in some way, making death feel less like a punishment. For instance, in Shiren on DS, there were ways to save gear for later runs (which made for some nice tension in deciding what to use and what to save) as well as storylines that were advanced with each death. Some of those storylines eventually unlock shortcuts and other cool things. I also like how many roguelites have systems where you buy upgrades for future runs with accumulated loot.

And as I typed this, CoQ updated.

You can always revert back to earlier versions if that happens, using the Beta branches.

I should turn off Steam auto update until I am sure it doesn’t screw with the save game, lol. Looks like I am slowly turning to the dark side of traditional gaming vs rogue like.

Sadly, even turning them off, I think the game get updated eventually.
One nice thing going for Qud, though, is that the game isn’t dependant on Steam to be run, so you can make backups of older versions and run them as you wish, like KSP.

The problem with persistent upgrades in roguelikes is that winning the game may literally be impossible without lots of grinding. Shattered Planet is one example. And I think that reduces the thrill of winning, as it becomes more a test of patience than skill.

I am the same, but for the thrill of losing, not winning (I have low goals). I bounced off Dungeonmans because of its gameplay centered on progression.
In the worst case scenario, some of those progressive roguelikes may even incent suicides. I can’t recall which one it was, but I remember some rogueliTe effort last year where, litterally, I couldn’t wait to die to get my unlocks already.
When done right though, like in the first half of any Shiren game, it can make for an awesome teaching tool that preserves most of the joy of a purer roguelike.

On the other side of that spectrum, I am also too scared to even contemplate playing something like ADOM.

I can totally see both sides of it. Happen to like it, but I get why others might not.

Agreed. That ruined Rogue Legacy too. It’s fine to slowly unlock extra options to vary future runs the way Isaac or FTL do, but when each new run becomes about “how much further can I push along the meta-progression?” rather than “will this be the time my experience, skill, and fortune finally alchemize into an ascension?” the roguelike magic has been lost.

I’m finally getting around to playing Brogue. This is intense. The compressed timeframe means I’m dealing with scary monsters within 30 minutes. No idea what I’m supposed to do against ogres and centipedes with a dagger and leather armor on level 7. I threw all my damage potions against a single ogre on level 6. Quit and try another seed?

Brogue truly is a balance between exploration, forward momentum, and the strategic use of potions, scrolls, wands, and weapons. You aren’t doing anything wrong - you just need to find that balance. Also, don’t feel you need to fight everything. It’s best to avoid monsters when you can. The potions that show where all monsters are on the level are the best. It can help to have a pet, too, as long as it doesn’t kite monsters to you.

After a bunch more runs, it seems like that was just some horrible bad luck.

I’m getting killed around level 12 now, so I’m making progress. I should be fine for a while.

You don’t have to do that. If they patch the version you have a run going with and you get the message about being unable to load your save, just go the game properties and under the betas tab, select the previous version and leave it there until you finish your run. Your game will not update again until you go back in and change that. Very easy, very nice.

Actually, I do have one more question about Brogue: I assume I’ll have more fun by playing random new games each time rather than exploring the same seed?

I have to thank @Scotch_Lufkin for the save game tip because I just had a horrible death and would not have bear starting this game over. My character was dying of thirst and I saw a pool and looked around. That pool was infested with mad poles. How bad can tad poles be, right? And so my guy jumped into the pool for a dip. Before he knows it, he was surrounded by these mad poles and they started to dismember his left hand! Omg! My favorite jeweled encrusted hand-axe dropped on the ground. I tried to sprint away and they gave chase. They dismembered my right hand and my face!!! What am I going to do without a face and two hands? As I reached the shore, they got my right leg and I bleed to death on the grassland mercifully with just one left leg left. What a horrendous way to die.

What a story! :-D

Sadly, it’s just fiction now, because @habibi reloaded :O

I mean, I hope it was fiction the entire time. :)

Yeah ha ha… I cannot imagine myself starting over to be honest. The world is full of danger. I didn’t expect my limbs to be dismembered. Well, I was having fun with my axe dismembering the critters - but didn’t expect the same to happen to me. Who knows what other dangers await? Imagine starting all over and reaching level 15 and then died another horrible, unexpected death.