What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

Oh God I hate these.

My deep background in Remote Internet Psychiatry tells me that while the symptoms were worrying, he is okay for the time being, as a real burnout makes you not care about anything you love. Unless he is posing or in denial, which is always a possibility, he seems eager to do something other than his paper’s work, and he even specifies he is looking forward to programming.
I always assumed him to be a control freak and holding zero tolerance to wrongly assuming what he could do and in what time he could do it. That post is actually quite positive. I only hope he is right in his assumptions

Yeah, he seems pretty balanced in his self-assessment.

Right, so after a mere 300 hours, I finally have 100% achivements for Desktop Dungeons, including all items, quests and classes! Hm. That’s a lot of time, but I enjoyed all of it! Those were some hard 'cheevos to get though.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/226620/achievements

Congrats! I played the hell out of the freeware version, but never quite got into the full release to the same degree.

Congratulations, but I am so jealous T_T
I’ll probably never achieve this, because the transition to the free “extended” edition (that big patch a couple of years ago) made a mess of my save and I can’t achieve 100% completion of the encyclopedia but by giving up on my 263 hours saved game.
Also the 100 hours in dungeon achievement never triggered here.

I should just start the game over, today!

Thanks guys!

I’m not sure about the bug that prevents getting 100% of items. What is it?

The 100 hour achievement is bugged for everyone. Looks like you need waaay more than that, but it still keeps counting up, even with multiple kingdoms. Although the developers denied it, it may only count time in failed runs and clicking out of the program will mess up the timer. For my part, many Goblin Crusaders stood idly for hours in the Slime Pit only to die at the hands of the nearest high-level enemy to get that last achievement.

Does anyone have a list of party-based roguelikes? I prefer tactical RPG style combat and am wondering how many roguelikes of this type there are out there.

I’d like to know this as well. Are there even any party-based roguelikes out there at all? If there are, they must be rarer than hen’s teeth because I haven’t found even one. I’ve actually surprised no one has ever tried to develop one.

Nothing popular that I’ve seen. I played SpiritsRL back from some 7DRL competition, but there’s not much to the game.

Does the venerable Helherron fit the bill?

http://helherron.co.nf/

How about Mysterious Castle or Endless Adventure?

If you are willing to relax your requirements then Invisible Inc, Dungeon of the Endless, Darkest Dungeon, and FTL might fit.

First game I thought of but it’s not a roguelike. It’s really a traditional RPG. I do wish someone would make a game like Helherron that IS a roguelike, however. That would be gaming heaven for me.

Wow, I’d never heard of that one but it sure looks interesting. Thanks!

Dungeons of Chaos

Not really a rogue-like, but the difficulty is harsh, harsh, harsh. The dev is active and engages with the player base, and available on iOS and Android as well.

Not familiar with this and reviews are mixed, but

Darkest Dungeon is close

Etrian Mystery Dungeon? Haven’t played this, but have played some of the early games in the main series (Etrian Odyssey)

I think there’s some tension between how long combats should take and how often you are expected to repeat them. When you add more characters to control, it inevitably slows down the pace of play, which can be problematic if you’re expected to play repeatedly. You also tend to edge over the fuzzy boundary of strategy games with roguelike elements. Games like XCOM, Massive Chalice, Battle Brothers, FTL, and Atom Zombie Smasher all come to mind as combining the core roguelike appeals of procedural generation and permanent consequences.

Nice little roguelike on sale now.

+1. Had a great time with it on iOS. Not deep, but fun.

I think Demon RL fits the bill and is really good http://demon.ferretdev.org/
It’s inspired by the Shin Megami Tensei series so your party is a group of demon enemies that you’ve recruited to your side. Still feels like a party-based roguelike.

Excepting during boss fights (which turn the game into a mix of classical tactical RPG and Gorky 17), you only control a single character from your party at a time, in the same sort of way as you do in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Others are around, but they are acting like silly NPCs, like about any roguelike with NPCs.
I don’t see how the system for a party roguelike can work anyway, without a clear split between the standard movement and battle phases - and that limitation makes such a game not a roguelike anymore then. Unless, gasp, you want to move all your party, one character at a time, all the time!