What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

I just saw a little clip on IGN that featured one of their editors talking about playing this recently, so I guess they are letting press play it. She said it’s been a few years since she played it last but she felt like it looked nicer, played better, and the combat felt better. It was mentioned that since the developers had previously stated they wouldn’t show the game again until they had a firm release date, that we must be getting an announcement soon.

Bring it on!

Though I question whether you could really pick differences in visuals or combat from play sessions spaced a couple of years apart! I can barely remember what I played last week. ;)

Just noticed that Tales of Maj’Eyal has a new expansion on the horizon: Forbidden Cults!

Seems to be Lovecraft inspired with an insanity mechanic.

Forbidden Cults is a big expansion for Tales of Maj’Eyal to let you explore the horrors that lurk beneath the surface, to delve in long lost knowledge and lore and as usual to die a lot!

Forbidden Cults makes two new classes available to play:
Writhing One: Give in to the corrupting forces and turn yourself gradually into an horror, summon horrors to do your bidding, shed your skin and melt your face to assault your foes. With your arm already turned into a tentacle, what creature can stop you?
Cultist of Entropy: Using its insanity and control of entropic forces to unravel the normal laws of physic this caster class can turn healing into attacks and call upon the forces of the void to reduce its foes to dust.

Both those classes use a new resource called Insanity that gradually makes you both more chaotic and powerful as it fills up.

Sounds like it has a lot of potential…

Does anyone here recommend Caves of Qud?

It looks really interesting. Sometimes though with these games they sound great on paper and I almost instantly bounce off them for whatever reason. One rougelike that I really enjoyed, which was just mentioned above, was Tales of Maj’Eyal. I am not sure if Caves of Qud is similar to that one.

I really like it but haven’t played in a while. The main questline and locations on the map are not random from what I remember.

I didn’t play it in over a year, but Caves of Qud was very enjoyable. The tough part was the early game: the game isn’t easy on the new player, and early deaths were aplenty.
You can download a much older (7 years old I think?), ascii only version from this page.
Also forgot to say that the game is still very far from finished: it is supposed to be story-driven but they are still implementing that weekly.

Yeah I guess it’s similar in that it’s a rogue-like and quests/locations tend to be fixed but the maps therein are of course randomised. With Qud though you can/will drop into any tile in the overworld and explore it, not just on set quest/dungeon locations. So it’s kind of open world.

Qud is def. more complex and traditional. It has a more free-form character creation, with not so much emphasis on set classes. It’s kind of higher in the sim/detail department.

Personally I love it and while I have yet to dive too deeply due to waiting til it’s closer to done, I do fire it up reguarly. Love the aesthetic/theme/setting, with the sci-fi, post-apoc, mutants etc, and the descriptive writing is pretty good.

Thanks everyone

Is this about the Quds Force?

Another update from the Ultima Ratio Regum guy.

Basically, life & chronic illness continue to get in the way of hobbyist gamedev.

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2018/04/08/april-2018-update/

Oh well. Hope he feels better.

On the opposite side of that spectrum, Sami and Errka, of UnReal World fame, posted a new greetings video if you are lucky and wise enough to subscribe for their game on Steam.

It’s just a relaxed chitchat that will warm anybody mildly interested about modem, bbs, being cool, hairy and hearing one of the most awesome and foreign sounding tongues in the world.

Nobody mentioned that Nethack 3.6.1 was released at the end of April?

Fucken CASUALS

I would’ve but the RNG rolled a “Cannot post about Nethack” on the very first floor of the QT3 dungeon.

Drop a parchment on an Elbereth tile and that limitation is removed

The Nethack Devs Think of Everything

That only works on the 3rd full moon after a total eclipse. Duh.

Aavak is doing a Cataclysm:DDA Let’s Play for anyone interested (I like Aavak - there isn’t a major new CDDA release or anything).

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7207/Tales_of_MajEyal__Collectors_Edition/

TOME on sale this date

Perhaps more importantly for many of us, the new DLC, Forbidden Cults, is out.

Oooh wait, what’s this now?

New DLC for one of the finest roguelikes ever made, is what.