What is your current favorite Roguelike? [Or all things roguelike]

I’ve been working on trying to clear out the mansion basement, which is huge. My lord there’s a lot of zombies down there. I used up all the ammo in both my 6 shooter and the semiautomatic blasting zeds. The guns are very effective and I like them a lot. I managed to take out about 7 zombies with them before I had to go back to throwing sticks and the knife-spear. I also leveled my gun and marksman skills doing it. I need more ammo now but I suspect that will probably be in a gun store somewhere and hard to come by.

Does an area stay clear once you kill all the zombies or will they just keep re-spawning inside the mansion perpetually? If they do it’s probably not worth trying to make the mansion my main base. If they stay cleared out then it would be totally worth it.

I’ve decided I need to run back over to the shelter to pick up my machete and the other gun I found at the ruined dwelling. I may try see if I can sneak into town while I’m down there and see how that goes. I’m going to see if I can lure more zombies into range of those turrets just north of town and try to thin them out that way. If the turrets have limited ammo and run out that might also be a way to get the goodies they’re protecting.

If you did not turn on the ‘Wander Spawn’ feature during world creation (it’s off by default) then the mansion should stay clear once you sweep it. Just clear it and and the area immediately around it and you should be safe from then on (unless something follows you back).

The turrets do have a set limited ammo supply and luring zombies into them is a two-fer. it kills zombies and runs the turrets out of ammo so you can loot the dead nearby. Do NOT kill the turrets from melee range as they explode when they die.

I used the settings you used in your video so that’s not turned on. I’ll continue to clear them all out.

This game feels to me so much like the movie “Zombieland”. The vibe I get from it makes me want to find a shotgun so I can double-tap fat zombies. I love it.

What I don’t love so much is how it handles learning from books. I can read a whole book in real-life faster than my character can read a single chapter in-game. And having to carry the damn books around in order to use the recipes in them is just stupid since they have so much volume.

There’s a cougar and a giant rattlesnake outside the mansion that are causing me some issues. Especially the cougar. It likes to pounce on things and it’s FAST. Now I wish I hadn’t used up all the ammo in the guns. I guess I’ll need to avoid that area when I go outside until I get something to deal with him.

I’m thinking about running a second character in another world at the same time to get more experience in playing the game and try out martial arts. You can do that, right? Just create a new world first and then pick “new game” and create a character? Then I can play both characters?

Books: most people setup a base/camp/home. just drop all the books in their own pile near a window or your fireplace (and within 6 spaces of your raw material crafting pile). To get the most speed/exp from reading you want Bright light, high focus (which is connected to your morale), and high INT (some drugs/medicine can raise your INT temporarily). Once you know the ins/outs of learning skills it makes more sense and will go faster.

The giant rattlesnake you could just throw rocks at to kill (or kite it with the knife-spear since it’s usually pretty slow). The cougar is fast and can cause bleed but doesn’t have a ton of hit points or armor. The trick is to get your encumbrance down and use a fast weapon with the highest bonus ‘to hit’ number you have. Yelling at wildlife can also work to get them to leave you alone sometimes (haven’t tried a cougar recently but i think it works on them).

Yes, you can setup any number of worlds/characters you want. you can even have multiple characters in the same world (and can go loot the body of one of your earlier unfortunate victims…i mean characters).

Well… I’ve tried different builds and tiles vs. console and I can’t get the Mac version of Cataclysm to run. It segfaults/crashes with everything I try. I guess I’ll wait and give it a shot later.

I experienced the same issue over the years. The stable Windows release seemed to run properly in Wine, although I haven’t done anything but fiddle around with it yet.

Does Cataclysm DDA deserves a proper thread?

It seems like particular roguelike see a surge of interest and then that dies down again, so if you want a dedicated thread, go for it. But it may not last. this thread can go months inactive.

I wouldn’t mind a dedicated thread. I’m just starting to learn it, and I don’t think I’ll tire of it soon.

I’m not playing it. It’s just that every time this happens in this thread I wonder if the game deserves a little more exposure than just the handful of folks that come to the “what’s your favorite roguelike” thread. I mean, we have dozens of posts talking about it, and none of them are “this is my favorite roguelike” so it’s not even technically on-topic.

Probably should rename this thread to “new and upcoming roguelikes that are worth discussing” because that’s kind of how I treat this thread, myself.

Cataclysm is my current favorite roguelike… even though I’m awful at it.

Just need a Necromancer that can bring a 3 year old thread back to life…

LOL while this is more active, it’s actually a 9 year old thread. :)

Golden Krone Hotel is on sale on Steam, for what I suspect is an Halloween sale.

Anybody played it?

Yes, it’s very fun and totally worth the money.

Wow 98% positive rating - pretty impressive - I’ll have to pick it up.

Ok people. Recommend a roguelike/roguelite game. Some points:

-I liked games like Dungeons of Dredmor or Dead Cells. I have pending to try TOME one of these days. I think my next roguelite will be Slay the Spire, I hear good things.

-Have graphics. It doesn’t have to be super pretty, but no ascii games.

-Have great variety in each run. So as you know, one of the key aspects of roguelikes is that usually have small ‘graphics budget’, but thanks to that, they have more depth in systems and/or content. I was searching something like that, that have great variety in classes for examples, I love games where playing another class is suddenly like playing another game, with different tactical considerations, different toolset, or even different resources.

For example, I’m also a sucker of strategy games where each faction is asymmetric and plays totally different (different resources, style, victory conditions)

-It isn’t super hardcore. It is a pity, but most games of this genre are ‘my way or the highway’ school of design. High default difficulty, and even worse, no difficulty options. One of the things I liked from DoD was the better accesibility (easy/normal mode, but also you could choose to save between floors, or even if you wanted a normal or a long run).

You’ve already identified my rec - TOME 4.

Well Slay the Spire fits everything in your list, excepting I wouldn’t think of it as a Roguelite/like

My recommandation would be Has-been Heroes, but it has got a pretty steep learning curve (it probably will seem random and/or totally puzzling for the first dozen of hours). Not much reflexes are required, new unlocked characters quite expand the game, without turning it onto itself like some others might though.
Once I got into it I really enjoyed it, but its initial inaccessibilty (which I blame on the dev wearing blinders and thinking their game was so great everybody would get it right away) is tricky to get around. The game also unlocks mechanics in a quite schizophrenic way, which again hints to the aforementioned blinders.
Great game though.