What is your favorite Christmas / holiday song?

I like a lot of the traditional music. The “O Come All Ye Faithful” album by the Choir of King’s College. (link)

On the pop front, I really like Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt. It’s also hard to deny the appeal of Mele Kalikimaka.

My favorite, though, is Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes. Good stuff.

With the exception of O Come All Ye Faithful, you have named three of the Christmas songs I hate the most. If you’d added Baby It’s Cold Outside, you’d have them all. Well done! :)

As for ones I like, O Holy Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Little Drummer Boy, and We Three Kings top my list.

O Holy Night and Carol of the Bells top my list. Mostly because I have always wanted to choreograph a wire-fu shootout to Carol of the Bells.

Christmas music and shootouts. Apparently I need to watch Die Hard again.

Nothing can compare to Fairytale of New York.

Especially when they play it in the night clubs as the last song of the night. Brilliant stuff.

In fact I think I’ll listen to it now.

Father Christmas by The Kinks.

Fairy Tale of New York.

Thread over…

God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen. I’m not sure who the Gentlemen are supposed to be, but it always makes me think of bundled-up mid-Victorian Londoners who might have been caroling past Scrooge’s office.

Then, Silver Bells. It evokes a sense of bustling shoppers in some American city in the 1950s, and that touches on something very primal in my childhood (despite my having been born in the 70s). But I really prefer it to be up-tempo and bouncy and have yet to find the perfect rendition of it.

Then, Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) which absolutely kills me and is my favorite Phil Spector/Wall of Sound song. Darlene Love can rock it. Hope I can catch the Letterman appearance this year.

Then, We Three Kings, mainly for the chord change leading into the bridge, which always gives me a lift.

I actually think quite a lot of Christmas carols (modern and traditional) are great, great songs, in their way as adaptable and resilient as much of the Great American Songbook.

My favorite, though, is Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes. Good stuff.

Love this one too. Ringa linga linga ding dong ding!

Unfortunately not. In about 15 posts we get to be outraged at all the people who didn’t pick Fairytale of New York.

Full Orchestra. Stand UP for the chorus. Crank up the volume! Handel’s Messiah! Hallelujah!

For less ostentatious moments, Little Drummer Boy.

I’m trying to think of some pagan songs (Winter Solstice) but drawing a blank at the moment.

Oh, add in Vienna Teng’s “The Atheist Christmas Carol”. One of my favorite pieces of uplifting, faith-in-your-fellow-man music.

I’ve always liked Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses.

Banu Choshech Legaresh.

What can I say, you said “holiday”. Hanukkah is a holiday.

“Wonderful Christmas Time” Paul McCartney, super extended 12" scratch remix

Christmas in Hollis – Run DMC

Ave Maria

Do You Hear What I Hear.

Specifically by Bing Crosby. Or some sixth grade choir.

You’re a Mean One, Mister Grinch

Favorite song? Gotta be “Sleigh Ride”. For me, The Ventures version is the one, the alpha and omega.

Favorite carol is either “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” or “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”

The song I love to hear a real singer attempt is “O Holy Night”. That’s the Christmas song that separates the men from the boys, and the girls from the women. If you can go up and get those high notes and nail 'em on “O Holy Night” you’re a talent.

This. Why do people keep posting other songs?

But there’s a lot I really like… just do a search for the large number of similar threads.

Favourite carol would Carol of the Bells.
Oldie I’ve just rediscovered would be Walking in the Air in the original movie soundtrack version with the extreme rrrrrolling of the rrrr’s.

New for this year is the fantastic Santastic V mashup album (free download) I linked to in the other thread.