What Kind of Designer Are You (Or Would You Be?)

Gamasutra’s Designer’s Notebook.

On good days, I manage “The Dungeon Master”. On not-so-good days, “The Gamer”. I spend a lot of time arguing with colleagues who are “The Competitor”.

Similarly, I think I become The Gamer on bad days, and most other days I am the Zen Master. I had enough people stare at me with befuddled expressions when I talk about game theory to learn to save that stuff for GDC. :-)

Please try to mention if the link requires registration (free or otherwise.)

You’ll save me a trip! :D

I’m the Romero type – I’d work just hard enough to get a Ferarri and a Playboy model girlfriend, then retire.

So yeah, requires an email keyed login.

• Alan

The link does not require a login if you disable javascript.

If you are using Mozilla, javascript can be disabled from the “advanced” section of the preferences menu. If you are using IE, it may be possible. Perhaps an IE user can share how?

Greetings:
I’m the kind of designer who feels that setting up a dozen straw men to make your own approach seem smart displays a remarkable lack of subtlety.

Michael.

Touché.

I think Adams also fails to acknowledge that good design is necessary but not sufficient to build a good product. Fun read, but doesn’t offer anything substantive. It’s the equivalent of arguing that bad things are wrong.

• Alan

Alan’s right.

But, as an answer to the question without going through the definitions: I would design complicated games that only hardcore gamers would like. They would offer TONS of options, so that you would want to replay the game and get different experiences. I wouldn’t make much money off of such games, but my fans would LOVE me.

The games I always imagine (and create for D&D) are the Dungeon Master type. I like to create detailed, interesting worlds and let the player(s) interact with it. Not as hardcore as Morrowind where you are playing with a static world, but where the world interacts with you and changes based upon what you do. That’s the dream game…for me anyway.

-Matt