What kind of name is Bloomberg anyway?

New York City to promote circumcision in the fight against AIDS.

City health officials are considering a program to urge circumcision for men at high risk of HIV, noting studies that the procedure can reduce the chances of getting the virus…

U.N. health agencies last week recommended circumcision for heterosexual men after three studies in Africa found that the procedure reduced men’s chances of contracting HIV by up to 60 percent. Circumcision, the removal of the foreskin from the penis, had long been suspected of reducing men’s susceptibility to HIV infection because the cells in the foreskin are especially vulnerable to the virus.

Calling New York City “the epicenter of the AIDS epidemic” in the United States, Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden suggested to The New York Times that circumcision could hold preventative promise here, despite differences between the two at-risk populations.

The studies conducted in Uganda, Kenya and South Africa involved men who said they had sex with women. In New York, those at highest risk are men who have sex with men, men who inject drugs and their sexual partners, according to The Times.

If the city can’t convince its gay junkie population to wear condoms, what makes them think this is going to get results?

I thought NYC just had an awesome condom campaign that distributed 5 million condoms in a month. That’s two condoms per person.

In other news, here’s an opportunity for someone to invent a personals ad acronym to denote a circumcised man.

I think someone needs to sit these fuckwits down to watch a little “Bullshit!” - Specifically, Season 3, Episode 1.

Available on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bpPZ2p0lh0 (NSFW by any means, and not for the queasy)

Psst…the HIV-related research postdates that episode. Not to say that it’s necessarily correct, but it is in no way addressed by P&T.

The research is irrelevant. The at risk group is one which:

A) is too irresponsible to slap a raincoat on in between slamming their meth and gettin down

B) is likely to already be circumcised thanks to peoples apathy about the most common form of genital mutilation around

you want to make a dent in the US AIDS epidemic? Get rid of outmoded privacy rules when it comes to alerting potentially infected people and criminalize having unprotected sex when the person is aware of their HIV status.

Dan Savage had some other good ideas but they escape me now.

I eagerly await any comments from certain people from the last thread.

People from the last circumcision thread, or the last AIDS thread?

Yes.