What, no Fall 2016 Television Preview Thread?!

Oh, yes, avoid at all costs. SO VERY BAD! The lead is silly, the storyline is ridiculous. The fact they have to show us everytime he does something “MacGyver-ish” is terrible. Run away!

And its off the DVR , thanks @Andon for taking one for the team. :)

@lordkosc that was a rough one. I cleansed my palate with The Exorcist which had enough interesting hooks to want to watch more.

Just watched Lethal Weapon and also saw Pitch a few days ago. I enjoyed both, and will keep watching them as of right now.

I agree with the statement above that says Lethal Weapon had the right mix of goofiness and seriousness. Plus the leads are both great.

My wife usually shuts down at any sort of sports related so but she stuck it out through Pithc and the reveal at the end of the episode might have pulled her in for more episodes.

I’ll have to give Pitch a try. The only thing that bothered me about the concept behind the show is that I wish they’d waited until a female pitcher actually had done something like that, made it to the majors, before making a fictional TV show about it.

Does she throw a knuckleball or something? They’re not trying to say she’s throwing heaters in the '90’s, are they?

They address the arm strength in the pilot episode. Because she can’t throw as hard as a man she was forced to develop a screwball which some ripe old timer taught to her father in the minor leagues and he passed on to her.

It’s a reasonable explanation as to how she made it. As with most TV shows you kind of have to go with the flow and not expect it to be 100% possible.

The actors seemed a bit wooden and the whole a bit over-produced in the first half but it was worth sticking with it. Zack Morris does a pretty good job as the catcher.

I just finished watching it (since the Dallas-Chicago game turned out to be a bore). Very nice pilot episode. I loved the first game, and then the second game. And the ending of the episode was really good too. I’m not sure if there’s enough material here to sustain a whole American season though. Maybe a British season.

Still, a great first episode. Like rowe33 said, over-produced and slow first half, but it gets good when you finally get to the first game.

By the way, I usually judge the budget of movies and TV by the amount of extras they hire. So I’m always really impressed when a movie has a huge crowd of people in the shot that are obviously human beings. That first shot where she’s walking into the ball field filled with people. Maybe they cheated and had her actually walk into an actual full stadium, but that still impressed the hell out of me.

I’ll second that. The Exorcist turned out to be far better than I’d anticipated. All three of the leads (Davis, the younger priest and the exorcist priest) all turned in compelling performances, and the overall vibe was nice and creepy without needing to resort to cheap jump scares and over-the-top graphic gore. I especially liked that there seems to be a greater conspiracy at work in the background, so the obvious fight against the possession may not be the only conflict being waged. Will definitely watch again.

Finally got around to pulling the Pitch pilot off the DVR today. Enjoyed it, but…

…I’m right with you there. Seems like there’s a great movie or maybe mini-series here, but a on-going series? I dunno.

After the first 2 episodes, I’m really enjoying Designated Survivor. It’s not HBO quality by any means, but it’s turning out to be a good ‘fish out of water’ political show. Kiefer is doing a fine job as is Kal Penn.

Yeah, its not bad. And they did a spot on portrayal of Michigan’s Governor, who happens to be an authoritarian asshole is real life as well!

“The Good Place” crossed a threshold for me with this latest episode.

It went from “hey, I like it, it has lots of potential” to “Oh man, I love this show, I can’t wait for next week, I wish I could watch the next episode right this moment”.

It’s also so great to see Kristen Bell in a role where she gets to care about other people. I loved Veronica Mars, but we all know how selfish the character was and how much she used her friends. It was an interesting character trait, but it’s nice to see Kristen Bell playing a more sympathetic character for once.

Yeah its really good. Also I think the actress playing as Tahani is knocking it out of the park.

They describe the pitch like it’s a knuckleball – this pitch that works at low speed that barely any pitchers can throw – but they call it a screwball. Feels like it got renamed at the last second. It makes way more sense for it to be a knuckleball.

lol I love that someone edited in ‘Ginny Baker’ to the list of ML pitchers that have thrown a screwball on the wiki page for ‘Screwball.’

Wonder why they just didn’t call it that from the start? It’s totally believable to me that a woman could throw a good knuckleball.

3rd episode of VanHelsing was alright, I think the slow burn they have going on revealing backstory is a bit slower than I’d like. But I am still watching. :)

Timeless looked interesting so I DVR’d the premiere last night and watched it today. Standard time travel “omg changing the past so bad”, nothing spectacular in terms of the premise. The effects were decent although some of the CGI merging of the actors and giant airship fireball looked terrible. It’s hard to tell with just one episode, but I think I like the Lucy and Rufus characters. They’re trying to set up some kind of big shadowy conspiracy that’ll probably last a whole season, if not longer, and I expect little-to-no surprise out of that plot line. I’ll probably keep on with it for a few episodes, to see if the characters and time-travel-of-the-week are interesting enough to spend the time on it.