What, no Fall 2016 Television Preview Thread?!

Thats kind of what I expected. They want a general audience so they can not really get too out there with the sci part of sci-fi or it becomes a niche show and dies an early death, rating wise. I havent watched it yet but I hope its decent enough.

How does it compare to Continuum?

I noticed there’s another new show called Conviction. Normally I’m not interested in procedurals, but during the podcast Serial, my favorite character on there was this lady, Heidi, who specialized in looking into wrongful conviction cases. And so the premise of a division that deals with wrongful convictions is suddenly very appealing to me. Did anyone check it out?

Watched the first episode last night. It was OK, but choppy on how it handled backstory. Will give it a couple more episodes to see if it clicks, but it needs to improve to keep me. Loves me some Hayley Atwell tho.

No idea, never watched Continuum.

Continuum was pretty good, especially for a time travel show. They played a lot with how morality is not black and white. It really depended on a persons situation and point of view. Bad guys did horrific things but you could sympathize with them and good guys did bad and selfish things as well. The only real issue I had with the show was they had to bargain hard for a final season got a very short final season with a very restricted budget. This showed in the production in a big way. They had to streamline things and dropped a lot of major threads to do so. It was nice that they got the chance to bring closure to the show but unfortunate that they were forced to do so with so many restrictions.

Did anyone catch Timeless? I was prepared to hate on it and I was sure my wife would hate it since she’s a historian and hate anachronisms and costuming that is not accurate, but we both actually thought it was pretty decent.

There were a number of things to like ( non-spoilery list to follow ):

• bad guy has some mysterious motivation and he might not be so bad after all,
  • one of the so-called good guys might not be so good after all,
  • there is still quite a bit of ambiguity with the good guys … Who they are, where they come from and all that.
  • The whole ‘if history is changed in the past you see the repercussions in modern-day times’ angle

I also like that they explicitly talked about their bad costuming… My wife was amused by that, and they also addressed the fact that the black guy going anywhere in the past probably isn’t going to end up with him having a lot of fun. Not to mention that this episode actually had some references to the systematic discrimination that existed in the US in the 1930s, rather than pretending it didn’t exist for brushing it under the rug has a TV show might want to do.

At any rate it was interesting enough to keep watching.

4th episode of VanHelsing was not good, my hopes of this being a good series are starting to dwindle.

Also, this past episode of The Good Place wasn’t very funny, thats not good for a comedy. :(

I kind of liked Timeless. It was predictable for the most part, but all three main characters are likable from the start, and the little bit of “things are not what they seem” hinted at in the end of the first episode makes for an interesting hook for the plotline. I also liked that they poked fun at the things people would nitpick, such as the costumes being a little off and the African-American guy recognizing that history was not going to be fun for him and being sarcastic about it the whole time. We will watch again.

Three episodes into The Exorcist on FOX and it’s been a fun ride so far. I like that the plot involves a lot more than just the family and the two priests. The bus scene at the end of the third episode was great, from the people at the start who you could see mulling over the decision to step in and help Kacey to the flurry of cell phones that came out when she started tearing the guy to shreds and then the dead silence at the very end…

Aftermath on SyFy is just awful. I recommend avoiding it altogether.

I still enjoyed it a lot. Getting to know more about Tihani was great. I thought some of the tense back and forths between the two stars in front of their house guests were chuckle-worthy.

Channel Zero (the Candle Cove horror anthology series) has some good buzz and starts tonight. I’m wary of any syfy series, but Birth.Moves.Death and i09 both gave it a solid write-up.

AVClub were not fan, but I have such a deep love for slow-moving creepiness that I’m not sure their reservations apply to me.

I’m liking This Is Us quite a bit. I recognize Ken Olin as a director who has done some good shows. If you liked Parenthood (I loved it), give this a try.

Aftermath is indeed awful!

Timeless is terrible, though not without charming moments. I can tolerate it because it’s trying to be silly at least.

Frequency surprised me – similar theme Timeless but done much better and seriously. Both shows have similar heart tugging scenes where the main character sees history changed, but only on Frequency does the moment land with any impact. Worth checking out.

I’m continuing to enjoy Pitch. Pretty much all the acting has been solid, and the various interpersonal dramas have been decently executed (if predictable). All the FOX Sports tie-ins get a little annoying, but the branding is only to be expected. Yeah, I’m a baseball nerd, so I’d probably like it regardless, but I think it’s actually decent. Still think they’re going to eventually run up against a wall at some point where there’s just not enough material in the theme, but maybe they’ll surprise me.

I don’t think Timeless is as bad as you’re making it out to be, but I just watched the Frequency pilot and certainly agree that they’ve done the change-the-past-here-come-the-consequences schtick better thus far. I like me some cop drama anyway, so Frequency seems like a good one to add to my list - thanks for bringing it up.

I noticed this morning after reading Quaro’s post that Frequency is not available on Hulu. Is there a way to stream that show? If not, it’s a CW show, so it should show up on Netflix once the second season is about to start, I suppose.

I don’t know about that show in particular, but CW’s deal with Hulu expired. I think you have to go to their website for their shows now.

I got the CW app (on a Fire TV, though I’m sure it’s available on damn near anything) and streamed Frequency, Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow. No logins or other hoops to jump through.

How well does that work? I tried streaming from the CW site and it was horrible. I cant count the times it would crash trying to come back from commercial breaks. I finally gave up on trying to stream anything from the CW site.

Well, the CW app has worked great for me, but then the one time I tried their web site it worked fine also. Might be that my ISP just has a solid connection to whatever content service they’re using.