What, no Fall 2016 Television Preview Thread?!

Thanks. I have Fire TV so Ill have to give the app a shot. Its also been a few years since I used thier web site so they have likely improved it as well.

Is anyone else watching Conviction? I am not sure if its good, but I like the cast. Sadly Hayley Atwell isn’t British anymore and I am not sure if I like her bad girl persona they have given her.

I miss Agent Carter. :(

Lethal Weapon remains very entertaining. :)

Lethal Weapon is building up on the DVR for me, but I’m gettin’ to it ASAP!

We spent our weekend (when we weren’t running around) catching up on Better Things (I really like this show), Pitch, and Timeless. Even though I say tv in general sucks, there are too many shows I’m DVRing to catch up on them all! Maybe I should say the cost of [cable/fios] tv sucks instead, because that is oh so true.

I finally got around to watching the Timeless pilot episode. I liked it! A little cheesy at times, like when they’re sitting in prison together and “bonding”. I did enjoy the episode overall. I love the concept and the mystery of actually making changes to the timeline.

Second of episode of Timeless: I can’t believe they got me to cry already. I can’t believe how upsetting it was to see Abraham Lincoln be assassinated. It’s only the second episode for god’s sake! I really like this show already. It reminds me a lot of Quantum Leap.

I’m enjoying Timeless as well, although I wish they’d make better use of the time travel theme. Go to the old west, the 70s, the Civil War, etc, etc and play dress-up. How many times have we seen all that before? Heck, Legends of Tomorrow is doing it right now. And the “you can’t go anywhere you already are” thing holds no water when you could literally send an army of present-day folks three at a time until you get the desired result. (Or more likely…accidentally eliminate the development of time travel, end of show!) But the characters are enjoyable and they’re doing a good job with the whole Rittenhouse shadowy cabal thing, so that keeps me watching.

I just caught up on Timeless. What a great show. It keeps getting better and better. The actors are definitely getting better, as are the writers. I also love how despite being low budget, they do a really good job with the budget they have. In the Alamo episode, they got to me again, emotionally. And in the Stranded episode, they really did a great job having the team truly bond together for the first time.

Another Monday, another great episode of Timeless. The actors are getting much better too. I really hope this show sticks around.

Chiming in to say that VanHelsing is horrible and I am still watching. :(

You’re a more patient man than I. Got through the first 3 episodes before I gave up on that one. The vampires are the worst bit. It’s like someone took every terrible B-movie from the last 50 years and said yep, that’s exactly what we want our supposedly terrifying monsters to be like.

Wow, lordkosc, you must really have a masochistic streak in you. I watched the first two and felt like I was being punished for having the TV on. Theres bad TV and then theres Van Helsing.

As a guy who powered through way more of Legend of the Seeker and Elementary than anyone should ever have to, I think I should start watching Van Helsing now.

(actually I watched the first episode and it made me want to die)

You wouldn’t believe it, but it actually got so much worse once they left the hospital.

It feels like it wants to be a walking dead type show. :p

I won’t be watching season 2 , I just want to see how much dumb they can add before the end of this season.

So Timeless has become a kind of guilty pleasure. It’s a show I can watch with my 13-year-old daughter and we can talk about the history aspect and contemplate time travel conundrums. We also enjoy watching Legends of Tomorrow together as well, but more for the action and Dr. Who-like time travel than for anything else.

The Exorcist has been very good all season thus far. My son (17) and I love watching it together. I was skeptical they could maintain interest over a dozen or more episodes given the simple theme of “girl possessed by demon”, but they’ve strung together a really interesting conspiracy plotline and a lot of the secondary characters are great. This was my surprise show of the season, I like it way more than I expected to.

Aftermath is absolutely terrible, and yet my wife and I can’t stop watching it. I have no explanation other than that it is so over-the-top weird that we feel compelled to see where it leads.

Designated Survivor started out pretty interesting, but has quickly fallen off to a sort of dull combination of “President who feels unqualified needs to make huge decision” and “morsel of information revealed about sinister plot to overthrow America” each episode. I like most of the actors a lot though, so I keep coming back hoping it will pick up again.

Alas, my TV time has been far less frequent than I’d anticipated, so I have not watched or even recorded shows like Falling Water, Dirk Gently or Channel Zero. Anyone watching those care to weigh in on if it’s worth going back and watching them on demand?

The Exorcist is great, I hope it gets a 2nd season, or at the least a decent first/only season ending.

A thing that kinda bugs me about DS is that a handful of times now, President Kirkman (or, more rarely, a subordinate) has whipped out a surprisingly deft tactical solution to an intractable problem. For a show that’s really focusing on his naivete, inexperience, and ill-preparedness for the job, having these moments often just appear out of nowhere with little shown of the planning or preparation process is kinda annoying: it sure seems like Kirkman might actually be a political genius, or at least way less a rube than the show normally plays him up to be as part of its central conceit. Something akin to a West Wing- or even Stark Trek: The Next Generation-esque senior staff meeting-of-the-minds where ideas are bandied about and the magic solution is arrived at organically would fit a lot better.

I think I’m gonna drop it, though, mostly because I actually handle stressful instances of dramatic irony really poorly in TV, esp. when characters are more or less making their own problems. e.g., the current. . .

Stupid thing where the FBI is super scared that obvious enemy agent Congressman MacLeish will get close to power, but of course there’s nooooo way they could ever reveal his true nature to the President for fear of, uh, something, so I guess we’ve just got to stand idly by while he becomes VP!

I haven’t finished the latest ep, so it’s possible they wrap that thread up, but I feel like that’s the kinda thing the conspiracy plotline’s gonna do a lot of, and frankly, I just don’t enjoy that shit.

Some very interesting mid-season shows are coming in the next few weeks:

Incorporated premiers tonight on SyFy. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck produced this series about a dystopian future where corporations run everything and the path to success lies in rising as high as you can within the power structure, and one man’s quest to subvert that system to save the woman he loves.

Taboo premiers on FX January 10th. From Ridley Scott, Tom Hardy and Steven Knight, this early 1800’s period piece blends intrigue and the occult as an adventurer (Hardy) returns home to England to run his family’s shipping empire but discovers dark secrets in the family history. Really looking forward to this one.

Also on FX, Legion is the story of a man diagnosed as mentally ill for hearing voices in his head and seeing visions. After an encounter with another patient in a mental hospital, he begins to realize the voices and visions he experiences might be far more real than anyone suspects. Premiers in February.

For those of us who miss AMC’s Hell on Wheels, the network will premiere it’s new Western-themed show, The Son in February. Pierce Brosnan stars as Eli, patriarch of a Texas ranching family struggling to keep his empire running during the Bandit Wars of South Texas. Part of the story also focuses on when Eli was a boy, kidnapped by Comanches and indoctrinated into their tribe.

Emerald City finally premiers on NBC January 6th. This long delayed series could be amazing, or a complete disaster. Imagine Narnia meets Game of Thrones (only without all the “R” rated material) set in Oz and you get the idea.

Other upcoming interesting shows include Taken, which will be a prequel to the movies of the same name featuring Liam Neeson’s character as a young CIA agent learning his craft. Victoria which will air on PBS and no doubt appeal to fans missing Downton Abbey as it follows the life of the English queen of the same name. 24:Legacy, which will be the Jack Bauer Power Hour minus the Jack Bauer. And Prison Break, which will star all the same people from the original series a decade ago, this time working together to break a supposedly deceased Michael out of prison in the Middle East or something.

Oh god, Taken the series? Seriously? Oh god.

Listen to me carefully BrianRubin, I don’t know who you are, I don’t know what you watch. If you are looking for good television I can tell you I might not have it. But what I do have is a television show based on a movie series that I’ve acquired for quite a bit of money from the studios. A television show that could be a nightmare for people like you. If you agree to watch it now, that’ll be the end of it. If not, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will make you watch it.

Legion is based on the X-Men character.