What, no Fall 2016 Television Preview Thread?!

Good luck. click

Armando, your spoiler regarding Designated Survivor is the most annoying thing about the entire series. Its beyond stupid on part of the people involved.

The only real way it makes sense is if one of them is involved in the Plan, and that particular reveal would be incredibly lame, IMO. But hey, if I stick to my word and drop the show, I guess I’ll never have to know!

It is dumb. You’re the top FBI guy (I think he is at this point) you tell the President you have information for his ears only and get your private five minutes with him. That was a weak moment in the show.

What’s also dumb is there would be plenty of retired officials to tap into on an emergency basis. The President could have filled his Cabinet quickly. The Cabinet choices don’t have to be permanent.

Also do you really mean to tell me that no one at any level in government realized that Jack Bauer had infiltrated the Cabinet and wormed his way into the Presidency?

So how about that Van Helsing season finale? I’d rate it a solid 2 outta 5. Overall season a 1.5 outta 5. I don’t know why I keep watching. Maybe a part of me wants Kate Beckinsale and Huge Jackman to show up.

I will tune into season 2, just to see what dumb shit her newly found vampire teen daughter can add to the show.

Den of Geek apparently loves the show and gave this past episode a 5/5. I have to believe the reviewer is super high and distracted by food for 80% of the time.

So lots of new stuff coming in January/February (some of which I covered above):

• Beyond premiers on Freeform Jan 2
  • Emerald City premiers on NBC Jan. 6
  • Taboo premiers on FX Jan. 10
  • Victoria premiers on PBS Jan. 15
  • Six premiers on History Channel Jan. 18
  • Frontier releases on Netflix Jan. 20
  • Powerless premiers on NBC Feb. 2 (Alan Tudyk AND Danny Pudi can’t be all bad!)
  • 24:Legacy premiers on FOX Feb. 5
  • APB premiers on FOX Feb. 6
  • Legion premiers on FX Feb. 8
  • The Blacklist : Redemption premiers on NBC Feb. 23
  • Taken premiers on NBC Feb. 27

Check out this timeline on Metacritic for premier dates for all television shows new and returning.

Personally I plan to record/watch Taboo, Legion, Blacklist : Redemption, Powerless, Frontier and probably Emerald City (my daughter is interested in it and I’ll watch with her). Going to be a lot of TV to watch this winter given the decent amount of returning shows I’ll already be recording and originals on Netflix and Amazon I’m currently watching.

Thanks, Slainte!

I feel like this link is a little more focused and easy to follow for me than the metacritic one: http://www.tvguide.com/special/winter-preview/new-shows/

If you want a trailer for anything on the list just click through one of the titles and hit the video clips tab.

It’s gone already, but Fox put up the pilot episode of The Mick on youtube a week ago. My wife and I watched it and thought it was pretty good. Dunno if they can sustain the idea behind the show for a multi-episode series, but I did enjoy the pilot episode.

I saw a preview of this during the playoff game on NBC. Danny Pudi seems to be playing Abed again! I’m fine with that! :)

I was wrong, Powerless can be all bad. The pilot episode was a stinker, the jokes fell flat, the acting was terrible and the whole thing felt forced to the point that it was awkward to watch.

APB on the other hand was a pleasant surprise. Justin Kirk’s character feels like a combination of Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne, and he plays just the right amount of arrogant jackass mixed with guy who sometimes does care to give his character a sympathetic feel. To that extent, the shows premise seemed like “what if instead of Batman, you just gave the police cool Batman-like tech and let them do their jobs”. It worked. The tech was cool but not overwhelming, the camera work in several scenes was impressive, the acting and writing were decent (for an action-cop show), and Natalie Martinez and Caitlin Stasey are both very nice to watch on screen. I’ll be tuning in for more.

Did anyone besides me watch this?

I highly recommend it.

I watched it on Hulu. If only Taken 2 and 3 had been as good as this pilot episode of the TV series. The only reason I don’t rank it higher than the original Taken is because that has Liam Neeson. That’s the only thing this show is lacking. But I really like the show, and everyone in it. Way better than the sequels.

My wife recorded this and wanted to watch it with me, but we haven’t yet. I’ll put a little more effort into making the time since I’ve read here and other places that it’s actually a solid show. Be interesting to see where it goes from the pilot, sounds like.

Time After Time was a fun romp of a movie in 1979 mainly due to the cast: Macolm McDowell as H.G. Wells and David Warner as Jack the Ripper. I’m just wondering how it came to be that 38 years later we get a TV series based on that movie:
http://abc.go.com/shows/abc-new-shows/news/shows/time-after-time-coming-soon-to-abc

I am still watching Powerless, but I wish I wasn’t.

They turned Time After Time into a movie? Wow, I have to track that down.

Boring fact: Time After Time was the first “adult” novel I ever read when I was a kid. I was a pretty naive 10 year old, and there’s a couple of sexual situations in that novel that really confounded me, since they’re very vaguely described. I had no idea what sex was, and the sparse descriptions in that book were my first clue.

Yeah, I’ve watched 3 episodes, somehow hoping it will get better and actually funny, but no such luck. I’m giving up on it.

I mentioned Time After Time way back in post #10 of this thread. And then promptly forgot about it. The movie is a classic- Malcolm McDowell (as the good guy for once!) and David Warner chewing the scenery? It’s awesome. I cannot imagine that this tv show could come anywhere close. But I’ll see if I can stream it somewhere, regardless.

Looks like the movie is not on streaming services at this time. I’m tempted to rent it from either Amazon or Google play though.

Do it. In fact, not now that you point that out, I just might myself when I get out of work. I haven’t watched it in over a decade, and I’m sure there’s some '70s style that hasn’t aged well, but I remember it being a lot of fun.