What open-world game with driving has the best traffic density?

Oh I forgot about Driver San Francisco. That had pretty decent density of I recall.

Traffic density in The Witcher 3 is pretty low. For the most part it’s just a few pedestrians and Roach, your horse.

Great post, @fox.ferro, and exactly the sort of thing I wondered about in terms of how developers grapple with traffic density. I freely grant actual traffic density could be a real drag on the fun factor*, so I understand why most open-world games play the way they play with emptier streets. But, still, I’d love for to an open-world game attempt streets like in, say, Cities: Skylines. All the more cars to wreak havoc on!

Man, there’s a gem I haven’t thought about in a while! I went to look up whether it was on Steam and discovered that Ubisoft has mysteriously disappeared it. You can’t get it online anywhere. Poof. Gone! Without explanation.

-Tom

*ugh

I wouldn’t mind Los Angeles-style traffic congestion in a driving game if I were in a monster truck… or an unstoppable snow plow/tractor.

Well that sucks! It’s such a great game! I wonder if this Gamespot listing still works…

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/pc/games/products/driver-san-francisco-deluxe-edition/10115091.html

I wish you would (could?) say which one, I wonder if I played it :)
Could you elaborate on what was so terrible about the experience that you were happy to ragequit?

Hmm. You want me to name the famous bridge you’re also asking me to burn? This was awhile ago, not sure what good it would do to reflect upon it… :)

Probably due to licensing issues, which often happens with racing games (usually because of time-limited music licenses).

Edit: FYI, if you have the 360 version (digital or physical) it’s also playable on the Xbox One.

Killdozer The Game.

I’d play that.

Having recently been playing a lot of Grand Theft Auto Online, I’m simultaneously happy that there seems to be a good mix of varying traffic density throughout the map, particularly between urban and rural areas.

However, I’m also simultaneously very aware that the in-game roads are super wide, to the point where I can slip a car between the existing traffic. Obviously a design decision because it would be annoying to become trapped by gridlock in a game about cars. So yes, it feels busy(-ish), but without actually being busy.